Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceCapture AppGearTips

synciOS - Anyone Using This App For Backups?4074

Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings:

I was chatting with a fellow photographer yesterday about the Matterport system along with it's pros and cons. After telling him one of the biggest cons (IMO), the lack of a true backup workflow, he told about the app SynciOS he uses for his iDevices. Link To SynciOS Website

He explained to me it gives him way more flexibility backing up his iDevices than iTunes. I looked into it this morning and I'm thinking I'm going to give it a whirl. It seems to receive mostly positive reviews from many reputable spots on the 'Net I trust. But before I did, is anyone around the Forum using this software? I know the link above is for Mac OS, but it is available for Windows users as well.

Thanks,

Grant
Post 1 IP   flag post
natcoalson private msg quote post Address this user
I've been really happy with iMazing.

https://imazing.com/
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
@natcoalson how do you use imazing?

Is imazing something that allows you to individually select which models to back up or wich models to restore to your iPad?

I am asking because the problem that I and others face is that eventually the iPad´s memory will get full after a while and if you want to make room for new models the only alternative is to delete the older ones. But sometimes it is important or convenient to keep all your models available somewhere and to be able to restore them individually.

A will appreciate your comments about your experience using imazing.

Thank you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: Danger, Will Robinson!

@Gransky
@natcoalson
@jfantin

I would to be proven wrong that the following is not the only easy, fast and affordable to solution to ...

How to Backup Your Matterport Spaces on iPad

Kindly test and report back - after doing a restore - about using:

SynciOS
iMazing

My understanding is that you can NOT back up JUST the model. The Matterport proprietary service requires that when you back up a "train car" (the model) you also back up the "train engine" and "train caboose" otherwise the train will not run. And, it's not obvious or easy to identify the "train engine" and "train caboose" for the 99 percent of us.

Even if you are successful restoring, I have HUGE concerns about using any other backup and restore solution for 99 percent of this Forum Community of Matterport Pros.

And, Matterport, where is YOUR easy and fast backup solution? You already have the models in your cloud. How hard could it be to offer this solution? Lack of a Matterport provided backup solution is annoying to all of us.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
I haven't used the one-click Backup solution - and wouldn't trust it, either.

Instead I've been manually copying the Matterport data using the file system. It appears that iMazing allows you to see the complete file set within the Capture app so I'd expect copying will work both directions.

That said, I haven't used this method to push files back onto the iPad and since I haven't done it full-cycle I could be wrong. I will test this over the weekend and I'll post here when I've completed that.

Either way, I agree that Matterport should provide a comprehensive backup solution.

More as it develops...
Post 5 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Have you noticed how many basic things Matterport is not offering to its customers?

- Simple backup solution
- Downloading of single panoramics
- White label solution without invasive Matterport branding

I wonder for how long they think they can keep doing this without hurting their business irreversibly
Post 6 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin
As long as they want while there is no other viable alternative that wows like theirs does. I've been saying this all along, there will be a mass Exodus if someone comes out with something the same style but offers all the bells and whistles that go along with it. Improve in the other areas Matterport and that will improve your sales (and ours too).
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@natcoalson

Thank you in advance for checking if you are able to restore and successfully process the model.

I really do believe the answer is no. Prove me wrong please.

@jfantin

Add to your list:

✓ no automated way to share stats (they shut down free 3rd party toolMatterStats
✓ no easy way to calculate sq ft (they shut down free 3rd-party tool MP2SQFT+)
✓ they never acknowledged the pioneering work of MP2VR to make Matterport VR affordable
✓ no publishing to Google Street View (they shut down MP2SV (iGuide embraces MP2SV)
✓ they compete with Matterport Pros
✓ I believe it has stopped, but in-bound Matterport leads for MSPs where going through Matterport camera sales team first (and delaying the distribution of the leads meant for Pros)
✓ Have onerous Terms of Service (TOS)
✓ Will not allow blurring and removing camera from mirrors

What did I leave off the list?

Plus, they posted this job opening four months ago ...

Matterport Opening: VP/Customer Frustration

Is Matterport contemptuous toward us
?

I still Matterport. I am still Matterport's biggest fan. Exponential Growth is Coming Soon to Matterport. Think of this discussion as tough love. We all want Matterport to move faster so that we all succeed faster.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod I can confirm that using iMazing to copy Matterport files from the iPad to the computer and later copy those files back to the iPad does indeed work.

See the attached screenshot as reference.

First, using iMazing I copied all the files contained in the Documents folder (inside the Capture app) onto my computer. I then disconnected the iPad.

Next, inside the Capture app, I deleted a model. After reconnecting the iPad I looked in iMazing and confirmed the model was removed from the Jobs folder. The sqlite database also showed an updated Date Modified.

I then re-copied the earlier sqlite files and the Job folder from the computer back onto the iPad.

When I next opened the Capture app, the model reappeared. I was able to mark features and re-uploaded to my workshop. The model processed successfully, as normal.

The most important things I've learned from this experiment:
1. The Capture app uses a sqlite database to keep records of all the scan jobs.
2. The actual scans and data are stored in the Jobs folder, each set of scans in its own subfolder.
3. For the Capture app to access and work with scan data it's necessary that the sqlite database has a record of the Job and that the Job folder contains all the associated scan data—the data in the sqlite database needs to match the contents of the Jobs folder or the models won't appear in Capture.
4. This all means that, while it's possible to download the required data from the iPad and later successfully restore it, this manual copying process does not facilitate the restoration of individual scan jobs separate from the others. It's an all-or-nothing situation. (However, editing the sqlite database would enable this, but that's not realistic for the typical user.)

As such, if this manual copying method is to be effective as a backup/restore solution, I'd suggest that the process be performed for a single Job at a time. Starting with a clean, empty database (ie nothing in the Capture app) after completing each scan job, download the database and Job folder. If in the future it needs to be restored, it can be copied back into the Capture app Documents folder, but only that one Job would be accessible within the Capture app.

All in all, this may be unworkable, as only having a single Job at any given time in the Capture app is probably not efficient for the typical Matterport Pro. And copying Jobs back and forth takes quite a while.

But it does give us an understanding of the data architecture and gets us closer to something resembling a backup/restore workflow.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
I copy the entire contents of the Matterport folder to a backup hard drive after I come back from a day of scanning. I only have the scans I did that day on in the backup. I just move everything to the hard drive. When I start the capture app again it makes all new files database and folder system.

Then if I want to work on a model from a previous scan I just drag that dataset back to the iPad. I have multiple iPads and can work on a model on anyone I want.

Just keep records of which scans are in which backup. I just name the folder I drag the data to with the date of scans.

I use iExplorer for this. Works very well.

The only thing I worry about is if they change the data scheme. Then the backups would not work in an updated capture app.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101421 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?