Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Pro MSP VS Not So Pro MSP3946

Grant private msg quote post Address this user
This has nothing to do with being a MSP. I am a MSP and I consider myself to be a pro MSP with my experience. (Thanks to some help from this forum!)

I'm sure everyone has seen Matterport 3D photographers emerging into their own markets. This isn't a bad thing, competition is great...
Let's compete.
What separates YOU versus the other Matterport service provider?
You as a professional, a people person, licensed and insured?
You providing top notch 3D models?
I work in three states providing Matterport scanning. I built this business starting with a Matterport camera two years ago. (Just like many who I have seen on this forum since I joined, or from stocking the forum when I began in early 2015)

Like everyone else I have noticed that other businesses are starting up, adding Matterport, or brokers/brokerages are buying cameras. This is to be expected.
However, I have also noticed that the models are rushed, there is no attention to detail, and there is no effort in making the models complete. (Maybe it's just the quick $. Like all of you, I take pride in my work to create the best 3D models)

I presented to a brokerage this week that I presented to last year, this week we covered, tagging, 360 panos, and I showed competitions 3D model errors and what to look for. Stressing to them to do their homework before choosing a Matterport photographer. Like phone photos vs HDR photography vs flash photography. Okay, Good, Best kind of scenerio.
Things like:
Poor exterior trimming/Poor post production,
Unable to walk through open doors,
Not enough scans,
Scattered scans, not user-friendly
Sun patches causing an area to be unrecognizable on its actual floor/causing scans to be on different floors,
Etc.
The list goes on.

These sound like silly issues to pretty much everyone else besides all of us. But with the markets getting swamped with competition I think this is something to point out. I've only lost two clients (Large clients) to other Matterport photographers, thus the reason for this post. Also, an emphasis on scanning errors... I'm glad most of my clients realize our efforts to not sacrifice quality. It’s a reflection of not only us to them, but also a reflection of us/them to their clients.

I have a variety of seller presentation material that I custom brand for my clients. From HDR photography, flash photography, 360 degree photography ground and air, slideshows, film production, property websites, 3D scanning, black & white - 2d & 3D floorplans, 2D & 3D virtual staging, how to market a home online efficiently, graphic/flyer design etc.

I am going to add another flyer to the mix about my company versus the competition when it comes to Matterport 3D Scanning. This will include common errors, glitches, lack of scans, etc.

*This post comes from me getting irritated at competition taking some clients and also me wanting to help my clients see the pro side of Matterport scanning. I currently have multiple clients who use me and are competing for a listing against other agents who offer Matterport through other providers.

Have you seen an impact with emerging 3D photographers and your business?
Is anyone separating themselves from competition with Matterport?
How do you separate yourself?
Do you separate yourself by including floor plans?
Do you separate yourself by creating package deals?

Any input is appreciated!

*On a side note, I bought the Homido1 VR Headset and hooked up my iPhone 7. Good headset, Best Buy matched Amazon's $34.00 price. I had 7 agents test it after my presentation this week, great feedback. It took the VR experience to get some more ideas turning in their heads. One agent liked the VR experience so much he asked me to send a link to the headset on Amazon so he can purchase it to show his builder he is representing. Guess it may have took the headset to sell the Matterport tour, not just the Matterport tour. Thank you Matterport VR for IOS this year!
Post 1 IP   flag post
kellysuesharp private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Grant
We started off as a not-so-pro MSP and I would say we are past that point. We made SO many mistakes and now when I look at Tours I see the same thing as you . The quality is terrible. Thank you for expounding the issues to point out when competing in this arena. I will keep your list as part of our sales tool kit.
You said you cover several states. Do you personally drive or do you have partners who film. We are considering expanding to a city 1 hour away. The customer is asking for us to deliver same quality across the board. It is my experience a LOT of the quality comes from production. How have you maintained quality control?
Post 2 IP   flag post
kellysuesharp private msg quote post Address this user
I did not mean all tours are bad quality - a lot are AMAZING
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
I'm quite surprised when I see a lot of MSPs doing the bare minimum of scans to get a model up. When you look at the doll house views there's tonnes of black space in behind doors or in bathtubs. C'mon! Add a few extra scan points to get a better model in the end!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Grant

Great topic. Thanks for kicking this off ...

Hi All,

If you want to see what other Matterport Pros are doing, please see the We Get Around Network Gallery of Matterport Spaces 3D Tours.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Grant private msg quote post Address this user
@kellysuesharp

I usually drive. I haven't partnered with anyone yet.
That is something I am considering this year to eliminate some of the longer trips.
However, a majority of my trips that are out of my home state I line up a full day, two, or three of work besides Matterport scans.
I have always been the quality control. If I were to partner up for Matterport I would definitely look at their previous scans and chat with them prior.

@Queen_City_3D
Right on!

@DanSmigrod
No problem! I figured this time would come soon!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
This is a fantastic post @grant and many of these topics you bring up, I think about daily, if not hourly while I scan.

I live and work in a major resort area. Matterport is ideal because there's an 80% chance the home I'm scanning is going to be purchased as a secondary home or investment property by someone 3-5 hours away.

I have about 50 Realtor clients on my roster. I would say 6 of those are investing in quality, the other 44 are looking for 10 cents per sq ft. And there are MSP's doing 10 cents per sq ft and their work is *acceptable*.

I have actually pointed out bath tub data loss areas to them and I have actually had Realtors look at me like, "seriously, that justifies 10 more cents per sq ft?!?"

Up until now, the majority of my business has been generated by word of mouth and my affiliate membership with the local Realtor Association. But I'm about to launch a new website and I think I will be doing so without pricing for MP on it. This way I can quote on specific needs.

I can also say that the majority of my clients preferred the guided walk-thru highlight reel and feel this is the best feature in MP. The dollhouse looks cool, but they don't think that's what helps a buyer the most. So maybe a "perfect" dollhouse isn't the end of the world.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
I also want to add that I'm also starting to think that I want to move more into the corporate realm and offer a fusion of video and Matterport similar to the Krispy Kreme donut showcase making its way around the forum. I see a ton of potential for MSP's like myself in that realm.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101641 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?