Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
jscottsmith private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be going to Costa Rica in March, and I've been asked about taking my Matterport to scan a project there. Has anyone traveled with theirs? Any issues? (Safety, insurance, airline rules, customs regs, etc)

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Mario private msg quote post Address this user
Hi There,
I just did my first MP travel along and all went well, I suggest you buy Pelican bag for traveling and you will def need to carry on with you to the plane cabin. I was traveling within Europe; Airport Security might find it a bit strange of a camera but all went well and normal. Good luck
Post 2 IP   flag post
gulmer123 private msg quote post Address this user
I actually travel to the Bahamas with mine often to do work. I have a Pelican 1550 case that I use and I use a TSA lock to secure it. There are no issues with the airline's rules but you need to look at Costa Rica's work permit issues. I have a work permit for the Bahamas so they don't give me a hard time. It is kind of hard to pass it off as a recreational camera.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@jscottsmith

I have flown both with a Pelican case and a soft case.

I actually prefer the soft case in my roller board suitcase that goes in the overhead bin above me.

The Pelican case also goes in the overhead bin above me.

I was on a flight with a small plane and it took some convincing of the flight attendant that my gear was fragile and needed to go in the overhead bin. (If she had insisted that the Pelican case go below, I would not been happy. Had I used my softcase in the suitcase, I would have had the option of removing the camera from the suitcase to stay with me and having the luggage checked.

(I was on an internationally flight.)

TSA has multiple times stopped me to do further checking of that unusual shaped piece of electronics in my case. I ALWAYS ask for a PRIVATE SCREENING with a Supervisor. Since TSA has to remove the camera from luggage, I want to do this slowly and carefully in a controlled, private space.

Here's my shopping list of Pelican and related cases for carrying a Matterport Camera.

Please let us know what you decide to do and why.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I just flew from USA-China with my MP in a Pelican case inside a bigger suitcase. At the Beijing airport, they asked me to open the case as they wanted to double check if the battery was removable. But it all went through fine at the end.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone! If there's any more feedback, let me have it.

Those using hard cases, is the 1550 the best option? I like the rolling option, lockability, sizing for overhead compartment, etc. I'd love to get everything in one case, but that's probably too much to ask - especially with my Manfrotto 190X.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I actually have the 1555 and if I take the quick release clamp my Manfrotto tripod will fit also.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@jscottsmith

I have Pelican Case 1510 (not large enough for the tripod) when I get home tonight.

One of the reasons I like this 4-leg tripod is that it folds small enough to fit in a roller board suitcase.

My Pelican case is begin enough for the Matterport Camera and cable, iPad Air 2 and I bought this lid organizer that lets me include small stuff such as doorstops, charger cables.

Dan

@gulmer123 Does it fit in an overhead bin? How about on smaller flights?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@dansmigrod Yes it fits well on smaller flights.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks all. Just figured I'd update you. Based on your information, my concerns with the technical aspects (can you fly with the internal battery, etc) were alleviated, and the suggested carrying cases were great information as well. In the end, the insurance issue killed it. Costa Rica is not covered in my policy (which sounds fairly typical), and adding it would be something like $2500 with a $1000 deductible. Not even close to being worth it. Thanks for the input though!
Post 10 IP   flag post
101437 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?