Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual RealityWebVR

Matterport VR Step in the right direction3848

Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
As of today [9 February 2017], Matterport supports WebVR on Chrome for Daydream, unfortunately Daydream only supports three handsets.

I think it´s fair to assume along with @metroplex360´s findings that we will see full webvr support in the near future.

https://try.matterport.com/virtual-reality/webvr/
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@RobinLycka

Great post. Thank you!

Dan

Some related We Get Around Forum Discussions

Matterport to Launch VR Viewing without App
#ICNY17 Video Interview: Matterport VR iOS
#ICNY17 Video: Realtor.com CEO on VR
#ICNY17 Video>Matterport VR: Google Daydream
#ICNY17 Video: 1st Public Use: MP VR SDK?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Posted earlier today (9 February 2017) in this Forum discussion:

#ICNY17 Video Interview: Matterport VR iOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by @UserName
It looks like Matterport didn't make an official announcement that I could find. But an article about Chrome officially supporting WebVR points us to the Matterport page that says WebVR is now live for Daydream headset owners.

I'd love to hear from a Daydream phone owner who tests this out. It seems like you can use your Daydream phone's browser to view the model on this page without downloading the model.

https://try.matterport.com/virtual-reality/webvr/

Note how she's holding her Daydream controller implying she can point to move around a Matterport model.

In Dan's video, the Matterport executive said Daydream experiences were "more immersive" and that they were still testing it.

The Matterport page says support for other headsets is coming. But, I still think the WebVR experience on Cardboard is going to be choppy and Gear VR owners will have to deactivate their Gear VR services before putting their phones into their headsets.

Kolor, for instance, can also display their tours in any browser that supports WebVR. I tested one of their tours by viewing it inside my Gear VR. The experience was choppy. Kolor's website even warns users by saying,

"viewing will not be as smooth as viewing a tour directly in a Gear VR app.

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Panotour_-_Notions_-_VR_Mode

Kolor also says to even get their WebVR models to appear in a Gear VR you must first

"use an application to disconnect the Oculus app as Package Disabler Pro (Samsung) or CB Enabler for Gear VR."

I use Package Disabler to run Cardboard apps on the Gear VR. It seems like other Gear VR owners will have to run an app like that too before putting their phone into a Gear VR to view a Matterport WebVR tour. Later, they'll have to use the app to re-enable their Gear VR services.

That seems like a bit of work since you'd have to do all that every time you wanted to use a Gear VR to view a Matterport WebVR model. With around 5 million Gear VRs sold, I'll guess that today there are more Gear VR users than Daydream users.

However, I'm guessing that WebVR experiences in a Daydream headset should be smooth since Google makes the OS on which those phones run and the software that runs Daydream. If Daydream owners can simply point and click to move around a model and never have to download a model again, that will be wonderful.

If I was a realtor who invited home buyers into my office, I might stock the office with Daydream phones to give home buyers the best Matterport exploration experience -- assuming that a WebVR experience really is smooth in a Daydream headset. a Daydream Matterport could be a game changer.

I might even buy a Daydream phone if some Daydream owners report on how amazing the Matterport experience is in a Daydream headset.
Post 3 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
The ZTE Axon 7 phone finally got Daydream support. As CNET notes, it's the cheapest Daydream phone you can buy. https://www.cnet.com/news/the-zte-axon-7-is-now-the-cheapest-google-daydream-vr-ready-phone/

Amazon has used Axon 7 phones for less than $400 including a cracked one for $285.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01FUF1EL8/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1486681407&sr=1-2&keywords=zte+axon+7&condition=used

That's an option since I'd only use it for Daydream VR. Why spend hundreds more for a Pixel phone even though the Pixel's a bit faster. First, I'd like to see or hear about Matterport running in a Daydream headset. A video demo would be nice since few probably know what Matterport running in Daydream looks like.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Vince_MccrayT private msg quote post Address this user
This is such Great News! Does anyone know when the iOS app for cardboard might be available. I heard through the rumor mill that Apple has a large team working on the VR stuff. I hope we see a Matterport Announcement soon that all of us Apple people will be in the game as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101604 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?