Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Large commercial/industrial scans > 2000sqm377

Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone had issues with large open (no furniture/fit out) commercial/industrial scans over 2500 sqm?

I had so many issues today with my 2800 sqm scan job that I had to just give up :@

It seems on a large open floor without reference points the app just doesnt know how to align the sweeps and build the model.

Any tricks to this? or is it simply not possible?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey mate
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=THHxG86DDPU
Did this the other day.

Had major issues with my first gen camera, but when we went to the new camera it worked much better.

Problem I found d was what you said, no different reference points. When the area was similar it would place the scan somewhere else. I think Alex had a post about this before.

I also found going from one side to the other messed up the wall. Some scans would go closer to the previous one, and whe you got near the far wall it would move the wall closer.

We had the most success doing a figure s from one side to the other. It ended up just over 2,000 Sq mtrs and almost 200 scans
Post 2 IP   flag post
JamieSher private msg quote post Address this user
Yep this isn't good and needs to be bought up with Scott or whomever at MPort. I've had repetitive dormitory rooms and it missed whole rooms where I had to go back and rescan with doors opened at differing angles for it to recognize difference. Big open spaces are hard.
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
This is an issue that happen to me as well. Jamie you stated that the second gen camera didn't have this problem. I have a first gen camera and if this is the cause then MP should either upgrade the firmware in our cameras or replace the cameras all together.

We're all doing larger and larger locations and if these missing scans and alignment issues are solved by the second gen camera then MP MUST DO SOMETHING to solve this issue.

In my case I lost a day shooting and the following day an additional 3 hours as I neared 175 scans the app kept crashing. I've got a big mansion to shoot next week and I can't afford to loose hours sorting out camera and app problems.

Can we get feedback here from everyone who are experiencing these type of issues with their camera.

Thanks
Post 4 IP   flag post
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure but would how you plan your scanning path be a factor?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Jamie nice big model, glad it worked for you.
@GarySnyder I feel you're pain
@CKC Possibly. I tried different paths. First around the exterior then slowing working inwards. But in the middle where there are no vertical physical reference points it simply gets confused and places the scan point in the completely wrong place.

I'll email support and see what they have to say. But this sucks big time :@
Post 6 IP   flag post
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Do keep us updated, thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gary. I spoke with MP the other day and they said the first and 2nd Gen are the same. 2nd Gen may be better calibrated however.
I agree they need to work on this problem. We look incompetent when we can't deliver
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jamie, I'd still like to see if you have problems with another location and this clears up with the newer version of the camera then we have a major issue with the gen 1 cameras.

MP may be saying this as they would be obligated to upgrade all of the gen 1 cameras as there must have been and issue with their capture capability

this would most likely only show up on a large shoot but it would still be interesting to see if this is the case. If you ever had a chance to go back to the big location and repeat the problem you had and then see if the gen 2 camera sailed through the problem it would be concrete proof that was a difference in the two units.

Marcel, this is the exact problem which I documented in another thread in the forum. It's a fault of the app and the only way around it is to delete the wandering scan then move the camera closer to the last good scan. If that doesn't work try moving the camera to the next nearest scan and it should solve the problem. Next you have to move the camera in smaller steps for the next scan. Once that scan has registered on the iPad then you should be able to extend the scan distance hopefully.

I know it's a pain in the ass but it's the only way to make the app register the last scan. I learned the hard way and lost a whole days shooting as I thought my camera had packed up and left the job. I didn't know to expand my mini map to look for the wandering scan that was well now over 100m away. Before this had happen I thought this would have been impossible to happen.

I hope this is helpful
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hey Gary

So we did this big location on 2 days/
First day I had the 1st gen camera doing the 20,000 sq ft room. It failed miserably. I've attached the mini maps. I had a few attempts, duplicated the map and deleted parts. You can see what it did to the wall in one of them. Weird thing, when it processed, the wall was straight on the floor plan. Alignment was totally off however, and the whole thing was unusable. App kept crashing to the point where I was getting 1 successful scan per 5 crashes.

During the first day, the 2nd gen camera did an 11,500 sq ft room which also had another 4,500 sq ft on a 2nd floor above. It did this perfectly. This camera then did another 10,000 sq ft room perfectly.

So the 2nd day we put the 2nd gen camera in the 20,000 room and it did the whole thing almost perfectly. No miss alignments, limited app crashing (until the end, where it was crashing once every 3 or 4 scans. At this time it was around 21,000 sq ft and almost 200 scans, the upper limit)

I can't go back to the location as Warner Brothers have now taken up the lease.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks Jamie, from what I can see as well as your comments on the job it sure sound like there is a difference between the first gen and second gen cameras. I only have first gen camera so I can't do any comparison testing.

If anyone else has a first gen and second gen camera it would be great to have them test the two cameras to see if they get similar results.

Jamie if in the future you shot another big site or perhaps shooting any site with your first gen camera and experience problems and then use the second gen camera and these scans turn out just fine then we know for certain that there is a difference between the two cameras and that difference is costing us all time and money.

Thanks again Jamie for the follow up on this
Post 11 IP   flag post
Anytime Gary. I hope this is an issue they can resolve
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ok got a response back from MP.
"The actual camera hardware should have little to do with it, as it's gathering and consuming data and passing it to the iPad."
"We officially support scans up to 10,000 sqft, which is just shy of 1000sqm."

@GarySnyder good tips. I did try deleting the wandering scans and move closer etc. but after the 30 delete out of 80 scans I ran out of time and had to give it in.

@Jamie pity I dont have access to a 2nd gen. It'd be interesting to give it a try.

Not sure what to do as I have a potential 30 more of these size jobs lined up and would hate to have to cancel because the camera cannot do it. Maybe I should look at toursler for these but they are so dam expensive.

I was thinking of placing cone markers down for reference points but thats a tone of cones for 2800sqm :P
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rentertainment private msg quote post Address this user
How do you know if you have a 1st Gen or 2nd gen cam?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The 2nd gen has an LCD screen at the back I think.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yep that's correct. 2nd Gen has the lcd.

I purchased cones to do that job as well. I didn't want to use them as it would look crappy.

The backup I did was to do multiple panos as well
Use toursler or one of the other companies and do a 3d dollhouse rendering of the site. More work, but no stitching problems, no size restrictions. And you can also go outside. Only issue we had was the Soundstage was poorly lit and it was very bright outside. The pano in between wasn't easy because of this.
Once I complete the job I'll share with everyone. It may be a nice option for larger properties like these
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks Jamie & Marcel for the updates.

If we can find anyone else out there who has both versions of the camera and can prove that the gen 2 camera preforms better then gen 1 then we all have a case to demand upgrades as our businesses depend on our cameras which in several cases now have proven effective in producing a job smoothly.
Post 17 IP   flag post
101436 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?