Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Finally growing my team! Now what?3667

JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I have finally gotten to the point where I need to add an additional "traditional" photographer to my team. Just curious what the going rate is to have them show up to a property, photograph the property (shooting HDR with 3 bracketed shots) and upload them to get processed. They will take between 25-35 photos. They will also do a Zillow Video Walkthrough and some elevated pole photography (10ft-20ft). I will provide all equipment and training.

Thanks,
Jon
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
So they aren't processing the images?
I'd say somewhere around 40-60% would seem fair. Or perhaps pay them on an hourly rate.
Just be careful on how you have them do the work (in regards to employee/sub contractor)
Lot's more effort if they are working as an employee, so if you can sub contract the work to them, much easier for you.
Post 2 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

I would make sure you get a good fit. You don't want to train someone, they know your source for processing, clients, workflow, equipment, etc, just to have them become your competitor. If you go this route, I would have them go do the shoot. Then upload them but act like you are actually the one doing post processing work. I am not sure about compensation because you are the one carrying cost of equipment, other overhead, etc.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Jamie and @justinv,
Thank you for the input. I am in agreement with the subcontractor approach. Definitely much easier from an operations standpoint if I do not have to employees. As for the risk of creating a competitor, I will have to keep this in mind as I look for a photographer.
Thanks again,
Jon
Post 4 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

I have been thinking about this since my last post. I would try and find a college student in the art area. They might already have their own camera? I don't know your prices but I will assume it is about $150-175. How long does the shoot take with just pictures, maybe 30 minutes, if everything is ready to go when you arrive? I am guessing you pay about $1 a picture post, pay them $30 and you can still make about $100 each appointment.

The other thing to think about is them being in the house alone. What if they steal or have a drug problem? Just something else to think about.

I forgot to tell you congratulations on needing another person.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Dolloff private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I would suggest looking up a checklist- I believe the name is 21 point checklist to hiring a subcontractor. There are rules you need to follow to be able to claim them as being subcontractor, I believe 1 rule is that they provide their own equipment. I will look for this paper. Great work!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah I took a course many years ago regarding this. Granted it was in Australia but many of those points apply here and the US.
Basically the things that makes a subcontractor is

Having their own equipment (like you said)
Having a registered business/company

Not being directed to the job (ie go to this house at such a time and do this job. Generally they speak with the client and organise the time)

Not having you as their only source of income.

Have them provide an invoice to you for work done. Make sure their company details are on this.

A few other smaller things, but if you cover these main points you should be fine. No one wants a fine or back employee taxes and benefits from the government
Post 7 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Hourly.

Non compete/non disclosure agreement.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
Hourly.

Non compete/non disclosure agreement.

I did a little reading up on non-compete agreements recently, and what I discovered is that they're practically unenforceable. Perhaps the only exception is when you sell a business to someone and receive consideration (payment) for doing so and agree yourself not to set up shop again for X number of years.

As far as employees venturing out on their own, the reading I've done says that, because it is a matter that affects someone's livelihood and their ability to earn money themselves, that non-compete wouldn't be enforceable.

If someone else has a different view I'd be happy to hear it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
That's what I've found as well. If it went before a judge, they will side with the person trying to make a living
Post 10 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Paraphrasing Atty Dana Gallup:

1- non-compete agreements may be enforced by the employer so long as they are reasonable with regard to time and geographical area, and protect a legitimate business interest...

2- Generally, restrictions of up to two years and covering areas where the employer actually does business will be considered reasonable...

3- Non-competes may be enforced where the employer can show it holds trade secrets that were taken and used by the employee or where the employee received extraordinary or specialized training as to unique sales, marketing or business methods practiced by the employer.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
If you're dealing with a student or stay at home mom, fear of a non complete could provide some fear for them not to look further.

Having them form their own business to invoice you could be helpful, or stop them. I don't know how much you could share with them as offering it as a form of mentor/internship to learn more about using their camera. Perhaps offer a few hours of help here and there as mentoring for 6 months. Point them to a page or YouTube link to get better shots on the next shoot.

I would think wedding photographers who are dead during the week could be a double edged sword. I've seen discount wedding photographers with Canon t3's and 4's as prime, but could offer high turn over.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ Have your wife meet the subcontractor. If she likes them, then hire them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Good suggestion Chris! She actually found the perfect candidate for me through her "Mom Network".
Post 14 IP   flag post
101436 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?