Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 406 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,418 Page Views | 18,255 Unique Visitors | 24 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Glassdoor review of Mattterport3660

fsmith private msg quote post Address this user
Always take these with a grain of salt but the one from January 2nd 2017 with the title "Immersive 3-Dysfunction" is brutal.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Matterport-RVW13162412.htm
Post 1 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Makes total sense to me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@fsmith My take away from this post is that someone was directly offended by someone in management and felt that their opinion was not heard and taken seriously.

@jfantin Does the request for 'make way for the investors to create a new leadership team' make sense? I've never heard ANY company wanting the investors to get involved in operational decisions.

I wanted to go ahead and repost this:

SF Business Office
clickable text

Developer's Office
clickable text

Looks like a great place to work! Great chairs, lots of hot sauce and coffee options... looks super productive and conducive to a very positive work experience - which to me says a HUGE amount of positive things about leadership.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Metroplex360, investors, particularly in the early stages of any start up, are the ones who appoint board members and replace CEOs.

Board members represent the investors, and the CEO reports to the Board. So, yes, investors frequently are deeply involved in the creation of the leadership teams and also in deciding about the strategic aim of the company.

"creating a new leaership team" is not exactly an involvement in operational decisions. Operational decisions are chosing the great chairs that you like so much, or deciding to offer free coffee to the employees, besides shooting down your brilliant ideas, contacting our own customers to sell them cameras, discounting the price of the camera for a whole year giving weird signals to the market, having a horrendous customer service with ridiculous response time, etc, etc.

It surprises me your sudden love for the company that have tried so hard to kill your entrepreneurial dreams...you must be a very good Christian.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin Matterport have not tried hard to kill my entrepreneurial dreams. I do not in any way believe that that statement is true.

However, I really do like your response and like many people here, find your analysis extremely helpful.

Theoretically, I could formulate that there could be someone blocking creativity by means of the Terms of Service. Specifically, there could be people at Matterport who believe that allowing panoramas to be downloaded would be a positive feature that would allow growth. This would trickle down and benefit people like myself and other developers who have ideas of their own. Perhaps there is someone in the leadership team who deeply believes that this is NOT for the best interest in the company and he or she will not listen to other voices. Thus that could be one of many different case examples of why there could be dissent in the company over leadership decisions stifling innovation. It would also be reasonable to think that perhaps there are other 'features' that are waiting on the sidelines that are not being approved -- perhaps other ideas, partnerships, etc.

And to be fair -- perhaps there have been bad ideas that have been wisely blocked too that not everyone agreed on.

--

I do not for one minute believe that there is a company trying hard to kill my entrepreneurial dreams. I am constantly championing that the terms of service be revised and that download of panoramic images be allowed to make way for my MP2SV service -- as well as ANYONE else who wants to attempt the same service either as a commercial enterprise or for a DIY approach.

Beyond that, Matterport have made platform changes that have broken tools of mine that were never sanctioned in the first place. Many of my experiments may have been useful to Matterport to show weaknesses in their system that they were not aware of. These exploits of mine could be perceived as opening Christmas presents before Christmas day perhaps?

And one more thing -- I have also found security vulnerabilities within their platform that I have contacted them about and they have fixed. Seeing that happen so quickly was something I was quite happy about and very happy to contribute privately.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
@jfantin Matterport have not tried hard to kill my entrepreneurial dreams. I do not in any way believe that that statement is true.

I am really glad to hear this from you. I was under the false (now it seems) assumption that your initiatives were blocked with no further benefit for anyone involved, not even Matterport as a company.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
If Matterport read this forum, it's probably in the best interests of the investors to read it too.

Investors must know the current sentiment about certain decisions made by Matterport the company.

The investors must have a large say on those decisions.

Is there any point attacking Matterport the company for not allowing certain 3rd party innovations?

Possibly better off trying to directly contact the investors if you want to discuss the potential benefits of an idea.

But I may be wrong. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Baxter, while your logic is solid, there are some practical issues.

Investors usually read financial statements and follow the company´s performance quarter by quarter. This means that they are usually the last to know when something goes wrong, because the financial statements explain the history of a company but rarely its future, unless it is bankrupcy.

That's why some management teams, in a futile attempt to fool their investors, design very creative. although short term, maneuvres like pushing sales before the closing of a quarter promising buying back any excess inventory, or discounting the price of certain products only to show a more solid financial situation.

This is the case of Matterport. They try to sell more cameras by dropping prices getting more subscriptions at the same time. This would help them to show their investors a more solid position cash-flow wise (although a very weak one in the long term if you ask me). This little marketing games go unnoticed for the investors.

Venture capitalists have several companies in their portfolio and believe me, they are not reading the user forums of each venture they have fincanced. They don´t have the time or the will to do it.

Matterport has raised about $60 million in capital, which is not a very important amount of money. Qualcomm Ventures, one of Matterport Investors, has a portfolio of 125 companies. Imagine how much time they will devote to following Matterport marketing stunts...

In fact, they don´t care at all!. They know that from the 125 early stage ventures they are financing probably only the 10% will become large stable companies, if they are lucky. Losing some companies in the way is part of the business and is part of the learning curve.

For this reason, contacting a venture capitalist to talk about ideas for one of their companies is almost impossible unless you are a close frend of someone in the investment fund. Getting 15 minutes to present a business plan to an investor is the prize everybody is looking for in Silicon Valley. If you only have an idea, forget it!

That's why everything is so complex and sometimes you see companies doing very bad and you cannot understand how come nobody pays attention.

Matterport's situation is not an exception.

Finally, I would like to say that a critic is not an attack. At least this is not my intention when I write about something that I don´t like.

You are right when you say that nobody knows what goes behing the scenes. I only wish they know!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Well you learn something new every day. Thanks for your insights into how it all works at the top. Always a pleasure to read your comments.

Also, attacking was the wrong term to use and certainly nothing directed at your good self or indeed any member of the forum.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you @Baxter. I appreciate your comment.
Post 10 IP   flag post
fsmith private msg quote post Address this user
review gone :-(
Post 11 IP   flag post
101704 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?