Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

MLS in my area renting a Matterport camera3494

Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
Just found out today that the Realtor's Association in my area has purchased a Matterport Camera and is going to rent it to agents beginning in January. Sheesh - that was a challenge I hadn't foreseen! Anyone else bump into this yet?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Rootsyloops

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Please keep us posted about if/how that is affecting your Matterport Service Provider business.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
How awesome of an opportunity to team up with them and have a second camera for rent. Free money for you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I just Googled 'Matterport Rental', and I see several of these services popping up
Post 4 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
That sounds like they don't really realize they will have to include the iPad and service with it. Also, a tech person to answer all the questions. Most agents are not that patient and they hate reading instrustion manuals. I bet only a few will take advantage of it and the rest probably would not pay to rent it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
How much are they really savibrato rent one. What are they charging as a rental fee?
Post 6 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.matterprorentals.com other rentals ..
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love be there and watch when sloppy agents have the camera wiggle off the tripod or drop the ipad and crack it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
Likely
Post 9 IP   flag post
So it can actually cost more to do it yourself instead of getting one of us to do it. Winner!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
While renting might appeal to those that are considering buying a Camera, seems like you would want to engage a Matterport Pro and ask to watch the work flow – both scanning and post production.

We did that with two clients that decided to engage us rather than buy a Camera (once they see what's involved).

Why else would someone want to rent a Matterport Camera?

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd assume if there was no one available or willing to do the job. It's cheaper than buying.
Post 12 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked out http://www.provisuals3d.com/.

This makes no sense to me. A credit card is needed with a balance of the cost of the equipment. Huh? I'd love to see how that is going to work out.

Then, on top of that, there is a delivery fee that is 'usually less than $230'. Haha. Ok.

On the surface, renting isn't a bad option if the numbers/risk/reward ratio can work in harmony.

To me, it's completely laughable that a cheap [redacted...because Dan would have done it anyway] Realtor will give a credit card for nearly $5,000. I can hardly get a Realtor to spend $200 for 2,000 sf.

Unless this person has multiple cameras, it suggests (s)he does not have a sustainable business.

Interesting idea that I might look into, though.

Dan...don't you offer insurance or something? :-)
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@StevenHattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by @StevenHattan

Dan...don't you offer insurance or something? :-)

$15,000 in Camera and Gear Insurance for We Get Around Network Premium Members that pre-paid for 18 months.

We are able to do this by rebating a Membership in Professional Photographer Association (PPA) that include this insurance as a Member benefit. Yes. You get all the other PPA Member benefits too.

Thanks for asking,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
You can get insurance to cover your equipment if you rent it out.
At those costs it wouldn't be a huge money maker. I bet they don't get much business. Perhaps someone on the fence to purchase one might do this to try it out first.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Related Forum Discussions:

How much should I rent my Matterport Camera?
Matterport Camera Rental - Really?
Matterport Camera Wanted (Rental) in (City)

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm thinking of putting out a test email to see what the response is to the rental market.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@StevenHattan

Yikes! I can not even imagine renting out a Camera - on either side of the transaction.

Imagine trying to scan with a Camera that needs its Matterport lens re-calibrated. Nightmare for everyone.

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
I tend to agree with you, Dan. But if there is a market for it and it's profitable (including risk/reward) it's something to look into. I'd NEVER rent out MY camera (I use it nearly every day) but it could make sense to rent a different one.

at 7:05pm on 12/21/2016 I am FAR from convinced.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
So we're competing with Matterport to keep the customers we have. We're competing with nationwide middlemen advertising in our markets who hike our prices, then turn around and offer us leads for a 1/3 of what we would charge. And now local Realtor Associations and Equipment Rental Companies before we ever compete with other Local Photographers. Feels like being a Realtor trying to advertise a house a for sale with everyone's fingers in the pot.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yep. Ain't life great @VTLV
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had kicked around the idea of renting my camera as well, but the hassle/profit (even more than the risk/reward), makes it a losing proposition in my opinion. A realistic rental rate seems like it would have to be in the sub $100 range to be a viable option for agents. The phone calls, scheduling, pick-up and return coordination etc. would necessitate a larger scale model with multiple cameras being rented daily to be reasonably profitable. Plus, it doesn't sound like a very rewarding business! I'll let you know as soon as the association releases their rental rate. Fortunately, I have more accounts than I can handle right now between aerial, interior and matterport shoots, so if it takes 10% of the pie, it might be a welcome workload reduction
Post 22 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
This seems amusing. On the Provisuals3D FAQ page we see this question ..

"What is a Matterport 3D Model?"

It seems like someone going that deep into the site after seeing the prices would already know what Matterport is.

If it's going to cost me over $600 for 2-days use AND I have to put down the full deposit anyway, I might consider just buying a camera. Otherwise, I may nickle and dime myself out of $4,500 if I decide to keep renting the camera in 2-day periods. Better yet, why not just hire a professional to scan my properties.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Did you see the rental prices on the matterprorental page?
----------------------------------------------------------
Equipment Rental Price
Rent a camera - includes a tripod and an iPad
$225 for the first day, includes shipping, both ways.
$100 each additional day.

Plus ...
$90 each 3D 360° Tour (maximum 200 scans/Tour) - includes 12 months of hosting.
Hosting after the first year, if required, $65/year per Tour.
2D Floor Plans, optional, $75/set.
"Show Me How To" Guides, optional, $60 each.
----------------------------------------------------------

Heck, I'd buy a second camera to rent out if I could consistently get someone to pay $225 to rent it for the day + $90 for the finished scan and not have to do any work myself. That said, I know in my market no one would ever be willing to pay this amount.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Just because someone makes a crappy website doesn't mean that they are running a successful business.

I'm very unamused by these websites. They turn me off before I even see the pricing. We are almost doing service to them by acknowledging them and posting links to them on this site.

When you can rent a camera FROM Matterport or from a reputable camera shop is when we have something to discuss.
Post 25 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I would not be so quick to dismiss these businesses. I am sure Blockbuster video thought the same thing when Redbox and Netflix first came to the scene. I am not saying that we all will go out of business because of these rental companies, but I always want to be aware of the 'competition'.
Just sayin'...
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
@JonJ
I think we're all looking to make sure we don't get calcified in our 360 business the way businesses like Blockbuster and Iheart Radio have done.

5 Lessons Radio Can Learn from Blockbuster

I had to send a camera back to Matterport once and I think the postage was about $85 to ship. We've done the math on what is now out there as another competitor in our field today vs what we offer.

I'll take a leap here and say "We figured businesses like this would emerge after the last few months of discount camera sales. I don't think we knew how they would come in stepping on our toes. But we've had our looking glasses on. Now we're figuring our how to combat the issue on top of many others to stay competitive."

Let's create objection handlers and figure out how to spin their bad's into our positives!

What do you guys have for spin?
Post 27 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
I followed Hololens discussions intensely during the early stages. A common topic was "I wonder if I could rent mine to recoup my loses." Maybe a Matterport camera owner has the same idea and will stop renting when he breaks even. End result -- a free camera.

Matterport might make it's rental offer more enticing by crediting some or all of the rental costs towards a camera purchase. During the rental phase Matterport could send the renter free advice, training, tools, marketing tips and limited-time credits on things like hosting fees. Turn a renter into a buyer like a car salesman turns a test driver into a car owner. I'm assuming that Matterport can negotiate camera prices if a lot of its revenue comes from model conversions and hosting fees.
Post 28 IP   flag post
So I've got some info:

The Realtor's Association will be renting the Matterport, an Ipad Air 2, and a Manfrotto tripod for $50 for one shoot. No hosting fee.

And, it gets worse! They just called me to ask me to teach a class on how to use it!

My instinct is to teach the class, with the idea that I can pitch my expertise, let agents know I am available to shoot for them, and maybe (gently) dissuade them from actually using it on their own.

I'm curious how some of you would handle the "opportunity" to teach the class.

Thanks!
Post 29 IP   flag post
It's their way to get more locations scanned.
Wait until a better camera comes out, and see what happens then.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101636 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?