Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,046 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

Drone Photography/Post Production Advice3267

srennick private msg quote post Address this user
So I have a licensed drone pilot that I work with to provide aerial photography when needed. He has provided a few projects for us so far with no problems. I received the newest batch of photos from a job and they look really animated. What can you tell me about them?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
Those are definitely way over worked with post processing. Be upfront and explain exactly what you told us. I'm also a drone photog and often play with new post processing techniques a d you don't have the option to do HDR. Once you print it out he will be more than happy to fix it. If not find someone else to use
Post 2 IP   flag post
I am texting with him right now and he said that he didn't do any post processing. Shot with a 4K camera....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
I'm torn about that reply. First off why didn't he do post production processing. Second I can't imagine his camera is taking shots that look like that without something being wrong. I use the latest technology and the best drone on the consumer market and never seen this before. If you'd like to ask him for the raw images I'd be happy to look at them for you
Post 4 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
While I do honestly think that house looks like it was drawn in, I'm really thinking it's an optical illusion. I've had a similar issue when photographing a house - the colors, lighting, landscaping, shadows, etc. were all just so sharp and perfect, it looks like a 3D rendering instead of an actual photo.

While I don't think any "pro" would let images out un-processed, I could imagine that these were just straight out of camera with in-camera contrast and saturation. I don't see the use for drones if you aren't going to at least provide some sort of composition to the images - flying photos still need to be appealing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
Exposure seems a bit strange. Did a quick test by loading it in to Photoshop.

I think it's an easy fix if you give @htimsabbub23 access to the RAW image files.

Post 6 IP   flag post
This was a previous job from the same camera and I just did not notice it to be so animated at the time. Definitely not as bad as the recent ones.
I will nicely ask him about providing the raw images. I did mention my concern to him.
The drone is DJI drone phantom 4 with 4k camera

Post 7 IP   flag post
For the purpose of educating me...Here are drone photos from a different photographer we have used.
(

Post 8 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
I personally think "4k resolution" on drones are not developed enough and the light sensor is not big enough to be shooting that high of resolution. Especially when the MLS takes so. Much quality away when uploading. I do all my own post processing and resizing to an acceptable MLS size 800x600 normally so that they don't wreck my work.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
If he is using a DJI product (as I do), the default settings for all of them (automatic settings for contrast, color and saturation) are set far too high. The "normal" color setting also tends to create "over-processed" photos. I use d-log for color and custom settings with negative contrast, sharpness and saturation (usually -2 on all three). This creates a very flat image and allows plenty of room for adjustment in post . It looks to me like the photos have too much sharpening and too much contrast. It's tough to effectively mitigate this in post - much easier to add back in with a flat image.

Most of us licensed drone pilots (especially those of us that got the 333 exemption) are pilots that are in the process of learning photography. I received my waiver almost 2 years ago, and I've been struggling to get the photography end down since! I finally found a workflow that produces fairly consistent results, and it all starts with shooting as flat as possible.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely agree with @Rootsyloops that the default camera setting or the settings being used are the issue. I shoot in a flat profile too so I gather the most data possible and then adjust in post.

Just a note. The 4K is a video setting. It is not a photo setting. The photo settings are either 12 14 or 16 megapixels.

Try and get the raw files if available and they will not be like this. Then all you have to do is a couple adjustments to make them pop and look natural.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
The important thing is, does your customer like them? If so, what are you sweating for? Ive looked at photos that we've sent to a customer and didnt like them myself. Yet the customer sends us an email and says "Great Job". Ive also seen other photos that we've sent out and thought, wow, they look phenominal and that the customer is going to love them, and then got an email back asking us if we can adjust this or that as they thought something didnt look right. Some agents love the over saturated look, others dont. You adjust for what your customer wants.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
i am with frstbubble in that i shoot very flat video from my 4K drone. I do all the color grading in post so it fits the scope and feel of the project. If it is a fun neighborhood festival i want the colors vibrant and crisp. If i am showing sunset view over water I want the scene to be warmer and soothing. When you shoot flat you can do all that in post.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101587 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?