Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

What's the lowest you will take for a job?3141

Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Last week I got an email from a guy who works for some big investors who are interested in commissioning Matterport tours on his clients' behalf. He asked how much I charge and I gave him my standard rate, and said I'd give him a discount for multiple bookings.

His response is that he usually pays **** $50 to $70 **** for Matterport scans. I can't quite decide how to respond. Are there MSPs out there who would really scan a 2000 sq ft house for only $60? If so, I guess it's time to get out of this business.

(Looks like the real estate market is about to take a dive in the US anyhow...)

Craig
Post 1 IP   flag post
Columbia, MO
Showcas3D private msg quote post Address this user
at $50-70 for that, you aren't doing it to make money, you're doing it to take up time and cover costs
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
$50 - $ 70 is really too low. I don´t think a MSP would accept such deal
Post 3 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Don't take the job.

Even if you make a little money it will be bad for you long run.

I wouldn't actually do this to you but I am sure someone would:

If you take $50 a job I will market your area and have you do all the scanning and I'll keep all the profits.
Post 4 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
ArtisticConcepts private msg quote post Address this user
My rate is probably considered too low by most MSP standards, but in my market it is working well. My residential rate is .10¢/sq. ft. with a $150min. and that gets a Showcase and up to 100 stills from the showcase.

In my case, my goal is to take the place of the traditional real estate photographer. It seems to be working. Why pay that much for a photog when you can get more than enough photos and a 3D Showcase too?

But, I agree with alx3D you will probably be shooting yourself in the foot at that rate.
Post 5 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
It's also possible he has read the marketing material from Matterport that was touting that rate and is just trying to get you at that rate.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Just to clarify, I'm not asking if I should take the job. But if someone in my market is willing to work for that little, then it means my business is about to disappear. I can't compete with someone willing to work for that little. It's not the end of the world, just the end of my Matterport business.
Post 7 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
Gotcha! I hope the answer is that noone would.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Remember, it costs $19 to process each scan. My lowest rate is 0.10/sqft on homes over 6000sqft. It's 0.20/sqft for under 2000.
Post 9 IP   flag post
pirusan private msg quote post Address this user
I think is called "negotiation"
Post 10 IP   flag post
AAS private msg quote post Address this user
Call his bluff. IF hes paying that ask for the guys number and sub work out to him. My time is to valueable. I wouldnt even give him a discount i woyld qoute my normal price and move on. If hes paying that low why is he even looking for a new contractor. Hes bluffing he wants you to lower your price hes low balling you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
What is the lowest commission he is willing to take on the sale of a property? Since the normal (self-regulated) commission is 6% of the selling price (and the selling real estate agent may get only 3%, would he be willing to "rebate" everything but 0.5% back to the seller?

As professions in our industry, we must not participate in the race to the bottom. Always cover your costs and allow for a proper profit margin so you can grow your business.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps not ideal for cash flow but have you considered negotiating a price based on payment when the estate is sold? A big outlay on multiple projects may be the thing holding them back from paying sensible prices upfront. It won't work for everybody but if you can stretch to it, why not put it out there?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
Got the same email quoting the same prices in my market. He did point out they use their own MP account and pay for all hosting/upload fees. Even at that, $50-70 per scan for 2-2500ft, is not worth the time involved.
My favorite part of his email....If you are not willing to accept our offer, can you please point us in the direction of another MP provider that would?
Yeah right....
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Please see related We Get Around Forum Discussion ...

Is This a Phishing Scam?

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
No I believe its legit. I have seen the company he works for on listings before, and they are a large investment/foreclosure company in the real estate world. MP gives a viable way for banks/investment holders to view properties remotely prior to listing them for sale for house flippers to pick up. Makes sense for them, not for me though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Deserves one of 2 responses. Crickets or:

I am pleased to inform you that I am able to perform a scan for you for: $50.00 Please see the following estimate for my minimum charges:

Scan:.................$50.00
Travel:...............$65.00
Setup:................$25.00
Property inspection:..$25.00
Pre-processadj.:......$25.00
Upload/Processing.....$35.00
Post-process..........$25.00
Hosting/yr............$50.00
Misc..................$25.00

Total:................$325.00

Thank you for your inquiry, I look forward to fostering a mutually beneficial business relationship!
Post 17 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@RPOceanic

Now you are thinking! You must have AT&T. You could do that and offer a 50% discount on top (that only applies to the scan price).
Post 18 IP   flag post
KateKratochvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticConcepts
My rate is probably considered too low by most MSP standards, but in my market it is working well. My residential rate is .10¢/sq. ft. with a $150min. and that gets a Showcase and up to 100 stills from the showcase.

In my case, my goal is to take the place of the traditional real estate photographer. It seems to be working. Why pay that much for a photog when you can get more than enough photos and a 3D Showcase too?

But, I agree with alx3D you will probably be shooting yourself in the foot at that rate.

I am a RE photographer first and foremost. I can't imagine stills from a Matterport model would ever take the place of professional photos taken with a DSLR.

I charge twice my photo rate for a MP scan.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Brainerd, MN
Distinctive360 private msg quote post Address this user
It really isn't any different than local realtors buying MP camera's - your price with them now is $0 As a photo business I was the only MP service in my area - now there are 4 camera's in my area (all realtors) which is fine with me., there is plenty of market share out there. If I get multiple orders from same agency I'm at $.07 sq ft - that's the lowest I'll go. Offering value and keep building trusting relationships is key.
Post 20 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
I too am an interiors / real estate photographer first and foremost and decided to include 3D as an added bonus for my group of agents I shoot for. Standard photos run $0.06 / sqft and standalone 3D runs $0.10 / sqft. If they get both at the same time, I do $0.13 / sqft.

Those are my minimums - I really don't care how many properties an agent brings me, or promises to bring me. I keep my schedule full with my group of agent clients and usually tell those who want discounts to find another provider.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKratochvil
I am a RE photographer first and foremost. I can't imagine stills from a Matterport model would ever take the place of professional photos taken with a DSLR.

I charge twice my photo rate for a MP scan.

That's a really nice deal and simple billing for your RE properties. You might be charging less than many MSPs because of that, but I am confident that you have found a sweet way to stay busy and make money by working hard. I love it! That's success!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
If he usually pays that rate, then he must usually use someone. Why then would he contact you? Any idea?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Orange, California
He says the investors he works for buy properties all over and that's what they usually pay in other places. They need someone in my area. I told him my usual rate and that I'd discount that $50 each for multiple bookings.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Saint Louis, MO
Invelop private msg quote post Address this user
Martin Szumanski is a hyper liberal from LA that claims to run Juggernaut Productions. His website is parked with GoDaddy and, from what I have deduced, he is totally full of it. I told him as much last week. Good luck, Marty!
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Invelop What am I missing here?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@pirusan Invelop knows the SOB that is low balling honest folks and making them feel like jerks.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 Oh thank you for letting me know. It escaped to me that this particular case was so well known to all in the forum.
Is there an over/under on the time it will take this Realtor to find an MSP who will gladly do scans for $50-$70?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Saint Louis, MO
Invelop private msg quote post Address this user
My partner Chris reached out to Martin and he has eluded to having a larger budget than originally released. I set up a conference call with this cat for this afternoon and will update this thread upon learning anything new.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Invelop

Looking forward to hearing what you learn. We've been ignoring the emails since there is no way to verify his identify. We typically would want to be referred by someone we trust, see a LinkedIn Profile and see a website. Doesn't pass the smell test for us.

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post
101428 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?