Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECCADGame EngineInventiveCGUnity3DUnreal Engine

Matterport scan to game Engine2986

Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @neeravbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravbm

From what I understood, it will be helpful for you to have a tool that converts the Matterport point cloud to a CAD model in IFC format. This CAD model will have floor, walls (including columns), ceiling, doors and windows, all without texture. You do not need CAD models of the furniture placed. Am I accurate?

That would be accurate yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravbm

One more question: Do you even need windows and doors in this CAD model or will you be fine adding it yourself? The reason I am asking is that some point clouds seem to have closed doors and without image recognition, it will be impossible to figure out that it's a door and not part of the wall. So in first iteration, it will be easier to omit it.

I do need those windows and doors of course, but I can easily add them in a IFC type wall.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted an update over here due to a busy schedule. I've kind of abandoned the demo apartment project on which this thread started, however I've kept working on the UE4 template in general. I've made some additions to it and am close to "finishing" it. Just need to do some polishing at this moment.

Those that have kept an eye on my Vimeo channel may have already seen the color picker I've added.

You can see part of the template in action in my Archilogic project over here.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Hi guys,

I am close to finishing some projects that took up a lot of my time lately. So for those interested, I plan on doing a couple of updates over here shortly.

I am also going to focus a lot on VR content. Yesterday I picked up this amazing device:

The idea is to create a virtual lobby as a main menu. Where users can;
- watch a video file of the corresponding project(s) on a large TV screen
- pick up a flyer of some sort, with project information
- browse through project related images
- enter a door and step in to the actual project

Inside the project, users should be able to pick up items, (including furniture) with the use of motion controllers. Change wall colors (like I already implemented in my regular UE4 template), and much more.

If any one has access to an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift and would like to test some of my upcoming VR content, feel free to contact me. I could always use some feedback.

It's going to be a busy weekend with a lot of exciting VR testing. These are definitely exciting times to be working in the CG branch!

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress
Post 53 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting I have an Oculus Rift (without the Touch controller) so I should be able to test. Let me know when you want me to do the same.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Well I've been messing around with it for a couple of hours now and I absolutely LOVE it.

This device is truly amazing, and far from just a gimmick. I am convinced VR will become mainstream (especially in my line of work) in the near future.

The "problem", with VR at this point, is that video recordings don't do it justice. Neither do cheaper options like Google Cardboard and GearVR. While those do have their uses, you can't really compare them to the higher end devices which require a decent PC.

Put a client inside a project using a device like the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, and I am sure he/she will be sold on it.

While videos doesn't do it justice, it is the only way to show it without putting people inside VR. So below a video of my test project.

It's going to be an awesome weekend, testing out more ways to interact with my projects inside Unreal!

@neeravbm
I'd be happy to send you a test project but without touch you'll be limited in functionality, since everything is mapped to touch controllers.
Post 55 IP   flag post

3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
ArtisticConcepts private msg quote post Address this user
Just... WOW!
Post 56 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
wow, super wow
Post 57 IP   flag post
technodai private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, truly great work.
Post 58 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting / I would be happy to test this on HTC Vive. Have also a Pixel & Daydream and a PSVR.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
I'll PM you a link of yesterdays version like shown in the video.
Post 60 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting That's awesome!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@neeravbm send you the link as well
Post 62 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Quick update:

I've added some new functionality

- ability to switch between virtual hands and controllers
- color picker that follows the left controller
- laser pointer on the right controller
- a button that saves a screenshot of the view you're looking at
- light switches that you actually have to press by touching them using the motion controllers.

Video below, enjoy..

Post 63 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting Is that a Matterport scanned space you are playing with? Or another 3D space?

As an aside, there's a local outfit in my city that has a bunch of gaming rooms set up for the HTC Vive where you rent the room by the hour and its an incredible experience. Everyone should try it at least once.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
@DannyBasting Is that a Matterport scanned space you are playing with? Or another 3D space?

I use the pointcloud data from Matterport to create my own CAD files for every project. I then use those files to create 3d visuals inside Unreal Engine. So technically, there will never be any Matterport data left in the end product. It just helps me create my CAD files faster and more accurate then the traditional way of measuring a property.

The video above is just a test project for me to create my template in, which I will reuse with other projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
As an aside, there's a local outfit in my city that has a bunch of gaming rooms set up for the HTC Vive where you rent the room by the hour and its an incredible experience. Everyone should try it at least once.

Once people try it they are sold
Post 65 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
To those that I've send a test application, the file has been updated. You can use the same URL to download the new version.

Fixes / updates:

- While it worked just fine in the editor, it turned out you couldn't select a different wall to change the colors in the standalone version. This has been fixed.

- Instead of using the triggers, you can now use the grip buttons to pick up objects.

- Teleportation is now mapped to the right controller only.

- You can now leave the bedroom and walk in to the hallway, living room and kitchen.

- You can change the flooring of each room by using the laser pointer and pressing the right trigger. This also works for the kitchen cabinets.

Thanks for the feedback and for helping me optimize this VR template
Post 66 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
That is truly amazing techno wizardry.
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Best,
Rick Odato, Sarasota, FL USA
Post 67 IP   flag post
FurnitureScanner private msg quote post Address this user
Danny,

We have a Vive, be glad to help test!
Post 68 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Thank you guys, here is the latest recording of the VR apartment demo.

@FurnitureScanner

I will export a new package and send you a link somewhere this weekend. Thanks in advance for testing.

Danny
Post 69 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
Incredible.!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Post 70 IP   flag post
vantasy private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting is it possible to have multiplayer? Put them in the same room?
Post 71 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@vantasy

Not yet, but it will be.. I've got "multiplayer compatibility" on my to-do list.

I prioritized a tutorial mode though, so that new users know which buttons to press in order to interact with the environment. I think that without proper explanation, people will miss out on features, simply because they don't know what's possible.
Post 72 IP   flag post
FurnitureScanner private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to testing this out. I'm curious, where did you get the models are the furniture within the space? Did you purchase or did you render them yourself?
Post 73 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@FurnitureScanner I've just send you the download link.

As for the furniture, it's a mixture of models I've collected, purchased and created over the years, and then converted for usage inside Unreal Engine.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Hi all!

While I didn't make a new video recording, I do have an exciting update (at least in my opinion )!

Thanks to @UserName for coming up with the idea a while back, and thanks to @Tosolini for bringing it back to my attention with his awesome R&D post, as of yesterday I've integrated voice recognition in to my template.

This allows users to say things like "snapshot" and have a high res screenshot of their current view saved, or say "change flooring" and have a material palette pop up. And it even seems to work with my Dutch accent

As some of you may have noticed, I started offering my services on the forum this month. So if you have any feature requests, feel free to let me know! I'd be happy to take a look the the possibilities.

This weekend I'll be looking in to multiplayer functionality. More updates soon!

Danny
Post 75 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Folks, it seems to me that @DannyBasting is creating 'Matterport Studio' as a 3rd party project. I would truly hope that Matterport rallys behind Danny's efforts as I believe that 'Matterport Studio' may be an idea that Matterport released before they had fully developed their vision of what 'Matterport' would be. At this time, 'Matterport Studio' seems to be a niche use product that would not serve the majority of Matterport Users, but that would be an incredible tool for a small percentage of creative and excited users.

I'm pretty impressed with Danny's work and want to know more.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
I'm pretty impressed with Danny's work and want to know more.

Thanks! Do you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Just bumping this up for the time being so it won't be archived. Updates are coming but a bit delayed due to a busy schedule.

Danny
Post 78 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting

Just bumping this up for the time being so it won't be archived.

Best,

Dan
Post 79 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Thanks @DanSmigrod,

I'll be working on more VR content this week, so I'll post some updates for that shortly.

While I've been very occupied lately, I did experiment a little with some different software programs since my last update here (because I can't resist to do so).

Thanks to @Jamie who pointed me out to Blender, A software that I've tried years ago, but never really got in to. I've decided to have another go at it though, and I was quite impressed with it.

For those of you who don't know, Blender is a free 3D modeling / rendering software. Pretty much the free equivalent of 3DSMax in some way. It's not the easiest to learn though, but once I got a feel for it I really liked it.

Anyways.. Below my first ever Blender test:

Post 80 IP   flag post
101436 104 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?