Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

New and Improved: MP2SQFT+ Now live!2984

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@Metroplex360 just released the new and improved MatterApps' tool, MP2SQFT+ to calculate square feet and square meters AND enables you to toggle on/off rooms (and see the rooms).

MP2SQFT+ is free for We Get Around Forum Members. When you join the Forum, you automatically receive an email with the Forum Promo Code for all MatterApps created by @Metroplex360

About MP2SQFT+

MP2SQFT+ provides access to hidden camera data containing calculations of your model's SQFT and square meters. This is very helpful for billing.

Matterport models automatically detect 'rooms' and calculate the area of each room. Sometimes a room might be a patio area or an area that is not counted as billable area.

MP2SQFT+ allows you to toggle on and off each area visually for an accurate total of your area scanned.

Matterport had (tried) to disable this app saying that the data was not accurate enough (despite all the labeling of the app as "experimental" "beta" and publishing Matterport's concern about the tool being used for billing.)

In our test of the model in this post, MP2SQFT+ is within 1.3 percent of what we invoiced our client. Specifically:

We Get Around invoiced our client based on 1,828 sq ft. We Get Around Associate Photographer and Architect @YairYepez - whom scanned this rental property in Atlanta - calculated the sq ft using an area tool in SketchUp

MP2SQFT+ calculates the sq ft at 1,804 or a difference of 24 sq ft.

Backstory

✓ We announced MP2SQFT in the Forum Newsletter; then this Forum thread
✓ We announced that Matterport killed this app in this thread
✓ We announced the return of MP2SQFT in this thread. (Without floor plans)
✓ Today (Friday, 21 October 2016), we announced that MP2SQFT+ is back.

---

MP2SQFT+ will save Matterport Pros a TON of time for calculating the square feet - or meters - for billing.

Plus, it is now easy and fast to calculate the area of heated spaces.

A huge thanks to @Metroplex360 - our hero - our Batman that comes to our rescue with tools that are easy, fast and free for the We Get Around Forum Community of Matterport Pros.

Best,

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
wow, nice, ...

a BIG thanks to @Metroplex360 for this tool,
Post 2 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
This is great.

Dan...I'm really (REALLY) behind on all the goodies you offer. We need a phone date!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@StevenHattan

What will my wife think?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Just tell her it's Jake....from State Farm.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I think my next project is going to be Mattersplode. Click one button to watch the dollhouse explode. With sound effects.
Post 6 IP   flag post
benn1973 private msg quote post Address this user
Dude your a genius how much fun could you have with that one!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
Warning - this is a long post. I share my observations and thoughts about the new MP2SQFT+ utility. Let me say that - overall _ I am pleased. I have found some interesting "stuff" that I want to pass along. Please read all the way to the end before forming an opinion.

I have used the MP2SQFT+ on four models of three different properties (2 of one property and 1 each of two others). I am not certain they are the best examples to use, but they may be typical of many models made.

The first two models are of the same house. The realtor listed this as a house with 4658 sq ft finished, 3112 sq ft living area.

The first trial showed a number of rooms with "0" sq ft of area. The resulting total was 3889 sq ft. (a difference of -769 sqft from the listed area)

When I saw this, I tried a second copy of the same model and it came back with no "0" sq ft areas. The calculated total area was 3904 sq ft. (a difference of -754 sqft)

I shared these results with Chris (@Metroplex360), the author of the utility, and he suggested the "0" sqft results may be from scans that were made but deleted in a model. He stated that he believes the calculations are accurate, but I can't explain the differences between the two models yet. Chris has since suppressed any zero results in models' sq ft calculations.

I believe the 15%+ discrepancies between listed areas and the calculated areas are significant. However, I believe they can be explained as "areas not scanned" vs "total floor area calculations by house size".

The third model is of an apartment. While I am not allowed to share the model publicly, I will share that the "listed" size is 1340 sq ft. The model calculation with MP2SQFT+ is 1099. this difference of 241 sqft could be due to our not scanning a linen closet, two pantries and the scanning area misses in the bathrooms behind the curtains and in some of the open closets. I suspect that the accuracy overall is good for the areas that are actually visible.

The fourth model was of the Pebble Creek House. It is listed as having 2632 sqft livable space. Our model calculated 2456, a difference of 176 sq ft. Again, this can be attributed to closets not scanned and areas inside scanned closets or bathrooms not seen.

So, here are my thoughts:
1. I want to try more models, but I am willing to accept the numbers presented by MP2SQFT+ as "reasonably accurate" calculation of the areas that I scanned. I am willing to use them to describe the area of the scanned rooms in the property.

2. I can understand the differences between "construction" sq ft "footprint" and scanned area sq ft when one considers that not all areas on the construction footprint are scanned. Therefore, the differences do not cause me great concern.

3.Kudos to Chris for the great work. The more we use it, the more we give feedback, the better this will be for all of us.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JohnLoser Thank you so much for your feedback!

First -- As you stated, MP2SQFT measures the total area -scanned- by the camera. As such, it does not include inner walls and any areas that were not scanned (such as the inside of a sink, or the inside of a refrigerator). Due to this, it is not a good tool for measuring the size of a home. It's a great tool, however, for measuring the total area scanned.

Thank you for bringing the 0 sqft areas to my attention -- they are the actual values stored in the model and it makes sense to skip them.

I'd love to look closer at these two models.

MLS - 4,658 SQFT

DRAFT - 3904.2 SQFT
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=r3nnEVnHsKp

FINAL - 3889.43 SQFT
clickable text

Difference - 14.77 SQFT

If you compare them side by side - you'll note that the color on the floorplans is much more vivid on the second and contains areas that were "automagically" filled by Matterport's processing. The API data shows a 4 day difference between the two -- is that correct?

Areas that were filled in the second tour:

Basement - Bottom of Staircase (3.5SQFT)
First Level - Bath Tub, behind Sink (5SQFT)
Second Level - Bath Tub, area behind Sink (6.5 SQFT)

Those SQFT are my guesses -- that would total 15 SQFT though.

---

For those of you who remember, the original MP2SQFT used files that I discovered how to access that came alongside each tour -- 'Color Maps'. I built a tool using a free embedded image editor that would allow one to fill in the gaps and then by using some server side pixel counting and comparing the % of non gray pixels from the original to edited files - I would take the increase, multiply it, and one could get a pretty accurate measurement of SQFT including inner walls and areas missed by the scan. MPSQFT+ will not have this feature since we're no longer working with color maps.

--

So to tackle the difference between the MLS (4,658 sqft) and MP2SQFT (3889). We have to figure out where 769 SQFT disappeared to.

Did they count the garage in their measurements? If not, I'm not sure how we could find 769SQFT in closets.

--

I'd love to hear how other people's tests have gone!
Post 9 IP   flag post
michelg private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 What else ?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360: The "draft" tour is the original scan set. The "final" tour is post processing by Matterport to correct the yellow color issues. I believe the areas were filled in as they reprocessed my data.

If I can help by providing more data, let me know.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JohnLoser The second one was quite a bit better! This shows that Matterport's claim to have improved processing is absolutely spot on! It's not a world of difference, but it's enough that one can completely appreciate it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
How is this used for billing? Don't most clients want to know the price before the scan?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DustinRobinson

We Get Around quotes residential real estate for sale based on square feet (sq ft).

Most agents already know the square footage based on the house previous MLS listing.

We do charge for scanning non-heated spaces such as patios/decks.

So, while a client may say 3,500 sq ft, the actual space scanned is 4,000 sq ft.

The Guide to Matterport Service Provider Pricing - curated by We Get Around - is free for We Get Around Referral Network Members. The Guide includes deep links to 75 Matterport Pros.

If you would like an promo code good for 30 days access, please PM me by 31 October 2016.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 So glad you got the room calculator back, this tool is amazing!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinRobinson
How is this used for billing? Don't most clients want to know the price before the scan?

Most do, but I have clients who i have repeat business with who know my rates and don't tell me the size of the buildings... 😀
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DscannUK
@Metroplex360 So glad you got the room calculator back, this tool is amazing!

Thanks! It's even better now. If matterport had not removed the floorplan images, I would have never have thought of this!
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
A Member of the Forum and Referral Network writes:

---

Hello Dan,

... My partner just scanned portions of a [redacted] sqft clubhouse in [redacted]). I need to find a service provider that can calculate the total square footage scanned with a reasonable turnaround. I estimate the actual scanned space to be around [redacted], but must know the precise area within a reasonable degree to properly invoice our client.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

[Redacted]

----

Should I reply:

A. We Get Around Charges $49 to calculate the sq ft of a Space

or

B. The free, experimental beta tool - MP2SQFT+ by @Metroplex360 - tool does EXACTLY that, plus when you are in floor plan view or dollhouse view - you can toggle on/off spaces such as carports, patios and other spaces. We Get Around (now) uses this tool for billing.

With MP2SQFT+ ... it is easy and fast to calculate SQ FT (and Meters).

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
3dinterspace private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

Thanks again for recommending this AWESOME tool! I got 24,400 sq ft of floor area for the golf clubhouse we scanned when using MP2SQFT and back-checked it using SketchAndCalc.com. With the latter method I got 24,000 sq ft. I will gladly take a 1.1% uncertainty! Will post the scan soon after we're pleased with the final editing.

Thanks,

Bryce
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dinterspace

Great!

It would be fun to see screen grabs of the measurements done by MP2SQFT+ and SketchAndCalc.com to see where that 1.1 percent is different.

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
101428 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?