3D, VR and 360° Photographers  |  Real Estate Agents  |  3rd Party Service Providers
Need a 3D/VR/360°/Drone Photographer? 2,836 We Get Around Network Members in 98 Countries! Ask For FREE referral!
We Get Around Network Forum
CameraCompare

nctech iris360 Camera versus Matterport2974

Forum
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: The NCTech iris360 Panoramic Camera: delivering a 360 degree view | Video courtesy of nctech.

-----




nctech iris360 Camera versus Matterport

If you use the nctech iris360 Camera - "works with Google Street View" – and are also a Matterport Pro - can you compare the two solutions, including which Camera do you use when.

This post was inspired by a discussion in this We Get Around Forum thread ....

Why Matterport Pros Sell Their Camera

... including the exchange below.

Dan

Related We Get Around Forum Discussions

NCTech iris360 Camera versus Matterport
Why Matterport Pros Sell Their Camera
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Jamie
@Metroplex360
Interesting about the theta. I would have expected it to be much better than that.
Has anyone used the iris 360? I know it's a substantial step up in price and I assume in quality as well.
For a quick simple great quality rig I recommend the real.vision setup plus ptgui and a nice preset. Very quick to batch them and they come out great. Much faster than MP as well
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @jfantin
@Jamie, I use an Iris360 for Google StreetView and the quality is more than accceptable.

If you go to the Forum of GSV Trusted Photographers you will find lots of people, mostly die hard DSLR guys, that say the Iris is terrible, but in my opinion the quality is fine.

This is a sample: https://goo.gl/maps/VsDygY2WsbN2

I have also found that the panos extracted from Matterport were good enough for Google's quality standards. The only problem with this alternative was the cost. For me, and in my market, where I can charge at most $15 per pano for a Google StreetView tour, using a Matterport and afterwards paying for extracting the panos was more expensive than carrying my Iris and shooting with it. Also, shooting with the Iris is faster.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Basic
Member
skycamguatemala private msg quote post Address this user
I was considering the iris a few months back, and the image quality was 3 out 5, for me.

Then I found a PANONO camera, check the reviews and image quality, and would say it is a 4.5 out 5.

The only advantage on the iris is that it is a google street view approved, and as far as I know, it is easier to build up the tours.

I build mine with a panotour pro, and it works great.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
We tested the iStar 360 (essentially the same as the iris360) against the Theta and quite honestly, considering the difference in price they aren't any better. We even suspect that the iStar & iris 360 use exactly the same lenses as the Theta.

iStar 360 = £4500
iriis 360 £1250
Theta £300

Theta is as good in my opinion.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Brtz private msg quote post Address this user
I'm considering to start making 360° and business view.
My first thought was to buy a fisheye lens and other equipment to make photos with my DSLR and stitch them.
Now that there are more and more 360-cameras on the market I'm thinking about buying one of these.
Which 360-camera gives the best results for Google Business view?
I mean quality as close as possible to DSLR 360°.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtz
I'm considering to start making 360° and business view.
My first thought was to buy a fisheye lens and other equipment to make photos with my DSLR and stitch them.
Now that there are more and more 360-cameras on the market I'm thinking about buying one of these.
Which 360-camera gives the best results for Google Business view?
I mean quality as close as possible to DSLR 360°.


I think you'll find that they are way off the quality of DSLR 360 images. Theta and iris 360 are generally regarded as being the best full spherical 360 cameras available right now.

It's highly likely Ricoh will bring out a new Theta S replacement soon, so with any luck the camera tech will move forward again.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Brtz private msg quote post Address this user
Would it be possible to get an example of Business Views made with the Rico Theta S and the iStar 360?
Maybe I'm not good informed but why is everybody so enthusiastic about the Rico Theta S?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtz
Would it be possible to get an example of Business Views made with the Rico Theta S and the iStar 360?
Maybe I'm not good informed but why is everybody so enthusiastic about the Rico Theta S?


I don't have any examples I'm afraid. I think people like the Theta as it's the best of the current selection of commercially available 360 cameras. It's a good price, is well made, can produce good images, does all the processing onboard so no messing about afterwards and it's made by a respectable imaging company. Oh, and it's super lightweight - the iStar weighs about 10 times the amount!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
While I do not know much about the Iris, I am quite familiar with the Istar. And honestly it is a beast.
There really is no comparing the matterport or theta and the Istar as they are meant for different markets.
The Istar is Lidar coloration machine at its core. The panos are super high density to be able to color the point cloud file for high end lidar scanners (50K+ machines). This is construction/survey equipment, not a pro-summer camera.
And that is the reason they charge $4500 for it- because in that market $4500 to add color to your point clouds is damn cheap. Especially considering that a typical camera add on from leica is about 13K..
That's just my 2 cents
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Brtz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRees
Hi all,
While I do not know much about the Iris, I am quite familiar with the Istar. And honestly it is a beast.
There really is no comparing the matterport or theta and the Istar as they are meant for different markets.
The Istar is Lidar coloration machine at its core. The panos are super high density to be able to color the point cloud file for high end lidar scanners (50K+ machines). This is construction/survey equipment, not a pro-summer camera.
And that is the reason they charge $4500 for it- because in that market $4500 to add color to your point clouds is damn cheap. Especially considering that a typical camera add on from leica is about 13K..
That's just my 2 cents


Would it be possible to post an Istar example over here?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
34418 11 11
destitute