Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BoatsNewbiesReal EstateStairsYachts

why a Sunken Living Room Becomes a Multi-Floor?297

Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
I will be photographing my first house with Matterport.

Its a rather small home that we are flipping. The living room is sunken, and is two steps down from the entry and the remaining rooms. The adjacent entry, kitchen and dining areas are open to the living room; there are no walls dividing them, and there is a half height glass partition between the living and dining area.

I ran a search for sunken living rooms and only found one reference to a yacht. The photographer mentioned that he treated all of the elevation changes in the yacht as one level and didn't seem to encounter any issues.

My question is, should I do the same, or might I encounter any problems treating this slight elevation change as a single level?

Many thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
skyteam10 private msg quote post Address this user
You shouldn't have any problems. I've taken the camera down 2 or 3 stairs to different level and the camera picked it up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
You should be fine leaving it on the same level as the other rooms. I've done that with elevation changes as much as 6 stairs.
Post 3 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
"Sunken" and "yacht" just shouldn't go together!

Do it all as one level. It seems that differentiating floors really only comes into play when you have one floor on top of another. If there's nothing above the sunken living room, it won't need to be assigned a separate floor.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Excellent. That will make it easier for my first shoot. Thanks for the prompt responses.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Having completed the scan, I have two further questions.

1. Although I didn't (intentionally) create two floors, the final product shows the sunken living room as a separate floor. Is this done by the program or is it my error?

2. Secondly, I find the final scan washed out for my taste, even though I shot at mid day with no sun streaming through windows. Can levels and saturation be adjusted? I certainly don;t see anything that would allow this.

Thanks again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm surprised that the living room was separated into a separate floor. Could you give us a link so we can see how it was handled in processing?

There's nothing you can do about exposure levels or saturation. You get what you get. The only thing you can adjust is the client's expectations.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had a similar problem in the last few days. There was a solarium on the main level with a 2-step stepdown and nothing beneath it in the basement. In the multi-floor view, it sank down to the basement level. I reported it to Matterport and got the following response:

"... i believe it to be related to the relatively new multi-floor feature. This feature does not currently use your floor selections but rather determines the floor based on the geometry of the model. It typically does pretty well but can occasionally make an error. Engineering is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it (though an implementation date for this resolution has not been set). In the interim there are a couple of options, one is to leave the model as is. The other would be to turn off the multi-floor feature in the link that you provide to the customer."
Post 8 IP   flag post
The link follows. It was not my intent to create two floors.

clickable text
Post 9 IP   flag post
It looks like you did a good job with your scan.

Glenda's post of the response from Matterport is instructive - it doesn't matter what floor we assign a particular sweep to, Matterport decides where to put it. I wonder if that's by design, or if it's just a failure of the processing software.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks for the compliment, as it was my first go.

Thanks Glenda for the response. I wonder if someone could point me to turning off the multi floor inasmuch as I am stumbling my way through the software.

Thanks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
From Matterport Support:

You can turn off multi-floor by using the query parameter &f=0 at the end of your link.
Example: <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=YJrquK9RCiE&f=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks once again.
Post 13 IP   flag post
By the way, if anyone is having a similar problem, be sure to report it. I asked Support if the engineers were making this a priority and got this response: "Will do! I send each and every example of this that i find along to engineering and product management so they can best assess the impact and schedule appropriately."
Post 14 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
Since it's a sigle level, I agree with what @Glenda said and removing the multi floor view option; however, if this was a 2 story home with a sunken living room, then you should be able to edit the scans and add them to the other level and make them even.
This is the first I hear of the camera or processing adding a level. I just completed a home that had about 6-7 stairs down into a garage and counted it as the first floor.

Post 15 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys this is a pretty easy fix (please see link), at least for the single level models (&f=0)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=cF3qfYhMgsB&f=0
Post 16 IP   flag post
Zephyr Cove, NV
Maria private msg quote post Address this user
I've had this issue pop up on occasion. Besides a sunk in living area become its own floor, we have also seen a floor of a split level home become an extension of the first floor.

From my discussion with Matterport on the issue, they are tweaking their processing algorithms to prevent/reduce the occurrences of wrong floor issue. Back up your iPad scans so you can resubmit them later.

Until then, turning of the floors is the best solution.
Post 17 IP   flag post
101629 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?