Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceScanningStrategyTips

5 Story Dallas Uptown Townhome Matterport2870

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I just shot my 150th Matterport Tour and it's one of the coolest structures I've had the opportunity to shoot!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=stpeQ6iiHBd

I was extremely pleased at how well my Matterport handled the rooftop. I also love how well the model processed the garage, which was a shared underground space that the other 2 neighbors share. I used trim lines to section off the portion that belonged to the home and he results were SPOT ON!

I also had the opportunity to shoot rooms with a mirror backsplace between cabinets and sinks -- I found that raising the tripod for these worked perfectly!

The most difficult thing was a room where direct sunlight was shining into a bathroom that had a sliding mirrored closet door. I positioned both sliding doors in the middle so that I could scan around in a circle, but had to wait for the sun to go behind clouds and do many rescans until it worked! Phew!

One more tip -- I got hungry while shooting it, so I downloaded the Jimmy John's app and ordered a large sweet tea, an oatmeal cookie, and a nice sub. With a $1 tip, it was $13, but an absolutely life saver. Having a Jimmy John's delivery guy show up during your shoot might be the best thing ever -- and it beats Pizza Hut.
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Love that rooftop view! Really nice work! Nice tip too
Post 2 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Nice scan. Congrats on 150
Post 3 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Good one. I even tried the roof. Now the bad news in the form of a question ..

* How long would it take for me to get to the 5th floor wearing a VR headset?

Moreover, how would I even know there was a 5th floor if all I did was launch a Gear VR model from a link I got?

I'll keep mentioning my #1 headset wish list item ..

* Provide a way to move around a VR headset model without "walking"

The dollhouse helped out immensely while exploring your 5 story model in my laptop browser
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@UserName the time it takes to get to the 5th floor would be a benefit on a regular website. It would show you interacted longer on the website.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
Wow,
This is a beautiful model! Your mirror strategy is great. How long were you onsite? The roof is fabulous!

Lizzg
Post 6 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
OK I finally did it. I timed a journey through a big model using the Gear VR.

It took 2 minutes and 20 seconds to get from the first floor to the 5th floor roof while wearing the headset.

I didn't stop along the way to explore anything. I simply followed the blue circles up the staircase until I arrived at the roof. I also moved as fast as I could.

Suppose I want to now see what the first floor living room looks like. I'll assume that the total round trip time would be about 4 minutes and 40 seconds. Now, let's assume I then want to explore the 3rd floor. The travel time adds up.

Maybe it might take 10, 15 or 20 minutes to view this Townhome's highlights by "walking" around randomly. I'm guessing those values.

Now the good news -> One split second. That's how long it took to get to the 5th floor using the dollhouse found in the PC Showcase Gallery model. Using that dollhouse, I can jump through many interesting locations in seconds.

Bottom line. This VR townhome is great. You should check out the roof top in a VR headset if you haven't. Maybe the developers are working on some sort of way to move around a VR headset model quickly.

If a popup menu of selectable locations (ie bedroom, den,living room, etc.) or a popup 2D floor plan isn't possible at this time, I'd settle for hotkey navigation. I could simply press the Gear VR's pad or a key on my game pad, and I could cycle through different rooms/highlights in seconds instead of minutes. You can sample different rooms quickly on a PC by clicking highlight thumbnails.

Picture a realtor trying to show a buyer the highlights of 5 homes in VR. That might take a while if they have to "walk" to get to any location in a home. On a PC, the dollhouse's magic makes navigation a breeze.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I'm really happy that posting this model has started a great conversation about VR navigation issues!!!

@UserName - I would -love- if we could link to other panos with MatterTags. There's an elevator that would LOVE a MatterTag to travel between floors

@LizzG - 5 Hours. I spent 30 minutes on the bathroom on the 4th floor and 30 minutes on the roof. About 30 minutes walking the home first to plan. 15 minutes eating my sandwich and 3 hours and 15 minutes scanning the rest of it

@UserName - I actually thought it would be funny for people to 'race' up this model and record their times. It was one of those little side thoughts I had while I was checking the navigation. I was quite happy with the spacing of the scans -- seemed consistent. I just imagined people speedrunning the staircase -- And it looks like you did this! LOL!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
The VR navigation is a valid point, it takes way too much time moving through big properties.

I´d like to see a sub-menu, like "look up for navigation menu" and then you get an overview of links to each rooms or USP´s. This could be populated with URL´s to the spheres you´d like to fast-track to.

I´m posting this on the Matterport forum as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
VRealExperience private msg quote post Address this user
How many scans?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRealExperience
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=stpeQ6iiHBd

Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?