Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

Google Announces Daydream VR Headset2823

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Google announced its new VR headset, Daydream View, today, 4 October 2016.

Google Daydream View

the headset also includes a controller: great for viewing VR while seated without having to twist your head

powered by Android 7.0 Nougat.

If Matterport CoreVR is not compatible, I imagine that Matterport is working on supporting Google's new device.

What else?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Looks quite nice, wonder how long we will have to wait in South Africa for the headsets....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
@JC3DCX

[Google Translate]

You will have to move to Austalia with the rest of our million SA expats. Not that we have much more up to date with technology anyway lol.

---

Jy sal hĂȘ om te skuif na Austalia met die res van ons miljoen SA expats. Nie dat ons baie meer up to date met tegnologie in elk geval lol.
Post 3 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
I came close to clicking the "Buy" button at the Google Store, but I might wait to see how competitor phones compare when they come out. Then again I might not. The Pixel's base model's price, $649, is about the same as the iPhone and Galaxy S7. The accompanying VR headset you need comes out next month.

I'm looking forward to Daydream Street View -- they showed how that might work in today's announcement. By waving the Daydream controller around -- like you would a WII controller -- you navigate around Street View scenes. It would be pretty neat if you could move your hands like that to move through a Matterport model.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for posting this. I wanted to mention it after watching the Google Keynote earlier. Is it just me or was the entire presentation extremely compelling? I have NEVER wanted to pay the price of a flagship phone (I currently use a Nexus 5X) and am doing VR on the cheap (Mattel Viewmaster) -- but I want to buy a Pixel and a Daydream VR -- and even the Google Home device.

I think that Google has done a great job of penetrating the market with 'Cardboard' to test the waters, foster passionate 3rd party developers , and set the stage for DayDream. What's funny is that I don't believe that they even alluded to Cardboard the entire time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
The Nexus 6, a step above the 5, is good enough to use with the Daydream SDK kit, but even it's not a Daydream certified phone. Since Daydream phones have advanced hardware and sensors, I imagine that VR experiences will be more realistic in Daydream than in a Gear VR.

In one swoop, Google seems to be challenging Alexa, Apple and Samsung Gear VR. The Pixel's Assistant may resemble Google Now, but there's a lot of advanced AI under the Assistant's hood.

Using the Viewmaster, you may have wished Cardboard was a little more fluid and easy to use. Daydream may be the upgrade Cardboard enthusiasts graduate to.

Unless Matterport comes out with Daydream-compatible models, some buyers may have to choose between Gear VR and Daydream phones if they want to see non-Cardboard Matterport models. They say the Galaxy S8 may be Daydream compatible, but I haven't checked that out. With a Samsung phone, we could have the best of both worlds: Google and Samsung/Oculus/Facebook. I'll assume for now that Google and Facebook are competitors in the VR market.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hopscotch private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with all of the comments about the functionality (yes, Matterport VR Spaces should be Daydream compatible asap), AND must also say that it's important that the Daydream viewer looks like hipster-wear and that goes a long way with large segments of the market. Look at the Diamond Rio vs. iPod. Design is just so important, and I think Google has made a very smart move with Daydream from that perspective.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101421 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?