Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

A Shout-Out to the Matterport Tech Team2698

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
While I am obviously frustrated by Matterport disabling 3rd party solutions in the short term, in the long term, I continue to be super-excited about Matterport's technology road map.

When @Metroplex360 announced his MatterXport service, using data from Matterport's unofficial API, it was immediately obvious to me that the Matterport technology is capable of doing exponentially more tools, solutions and services.

As I wrote in July 2016 in that discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
@Metroplex360
You have provided the Holy Grail that would enable a Professional Photographer to offer enhanced Matterport services including:

1. Retouching
2. White balance / Color Saturation / f stop adjustments
3. a path for seamlessly integrating Google Street View
4. and likely dozens of other opportunities

Hopefully, Matterport embraces the Pro community by allowing tools like yours to provide enhances services. I could imagine with some stipulations, everyone could be happy.

Plus, we have been promised Matterport APIs/SDKs for more than a year. Plus, the MUG Forum community API Wish List was sent to Matterport over a year ago. Seems like your solution is a fantastic start.

Best,

Dan

Not long after that, two 3rd party developers introduced five tools/solutions including Matterport to Google Street View services, until Matterport shut them down.

Please joining me in thanking the super-talented tech team that has not only enabled all of us to do what we can do today, but for all the things that we will be able to do in the (hopefully near) future.

The Matterport tech team's hard work will result in official APIs/SDKs to enable 3rd party developers to create amazing tools, services and solutions that we can imagine - and those that we can not even imagine (and will be equally amazing).

Matterport to Google Street View conversion is just one amazing example. At some point, enabling Matterport Spaces to "play" natively within social medial such as Twitter and Facebook. And, eventually, Matterport Studio - announced, but never implemented (excepted with the short-lived (disabled by Matterport): Matterport 3D Furniture Planner.

In the long terms, I remain excited about the Matterport technology road map based on the short-lived opportunity to see what was revealed by the @Metroplex360 MatterXport Service.

It's obvious that Matterport has hired a ton of very, very talented vision computing scientists, visionaries, engineers and related developers to create amazing solutions.

Plus, it's likely that the sneak-peak at the robust data in short-lived Matterport Content Delivery Network is only the tip of the iceberg of what Matterport is capable of delivering.

In the mean time, we (all) can only hope that Matterport leadership will re-enable 3rd party solution providers to offer services until either Matterport offers or Matterport enables 3rd party service providers to offer solutions that they have already built or would like to build.

While I can imagine that Matterport leadership is as disappointed as we all are that their robust Content Delivery Network is not ready to officially make public - for whatever reason - they should allow 3rd parties to delivery tools, services and solutions with the existing solutions with whatever caveats that they would like to make about the. accuracy of data or that the code might change resulting in tools breaking.

It's been nearly 1.5 years since Matterport announced (7 April 2015) in this podcast that their first API would be released.

#frustrated in the short therm and #optimistic in the long term.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the same, and have hope that it will get better going forward,
Post 2 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod we are all somewhat frustrated with different issues, but as an optimst I always look for the solution, with that said I think we have a strong community in MUG and we should unite to create a larger market share. I have some ideas as a marketer to take our strengths to another level. At the end of the day we all have the same objective and that is to monetize our service. Does anyone other than me feel that together we can probably create a Matterport community that can accomplish great levels of success and at the same time show Matterport what they are overlooking.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Yes! Thanks for everything great about Matterport, even as we gripe about the things that frustrate us (like that stupid and pointless TERMS link on every Showcase!)

It is easy for us to complain and Monday-morning quarterback about various things about Matterport that we would do differently, but overall it is amazing and I'm thankful to be involved.

Craig
Post 4 IP   flag post
pirusan private msg quote post Address this user
I think that after the initial frustration(s) we all feel that the possibilities are there and, personally, I have no doubt that MP is trying to get to us as many tools as they see fit.

What troubles me, fundamentally, is this "feeling" that the vision shared of many of the members of this forum and the vision of the MP team, (tech or otherwise) are completely opposite.

Recent shutdowns, long promised features that were never delivered, marketing strategies that might be questionable, and other incidents, do not help for this "feeling" to go away.

There is a saying "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time" and honestly, in too many instances, MP showed us who they are, and I must say, I did not always liked what I saw.

However #optimistic

Gus
inspirational Views
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I completely agree with everything you have written.

In addition to this, I am still adamant that the Terms of Service concerning the rights of Matterport Photographers / Section 7 be reviewed. I believe that Matterport will enjoy even greater success after they allow MSPs the option to download their cube faces.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101436 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?