Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MP2VRVirtual Reality

Matterport to Release New VR Service?2697

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I anticipate that Matterport will (soon) launch a new Virtual Reality (VR) conversion, publishing and viewing solution.

The new Matterport VR solution:

1. Automatically converts Matterport Spaces to VR ready
2. Matterport Spaces will have an icon for VR viewing
3. To view in VR, you will need the Matterport app

What's unclear to me is if this Matterport VR conversion will:

1. be a Matterport optional extra ($$$$); or always and free
2. include stereoscope VR conversion

Here are some of the "puzzle pieces" that helped me come to the above observations:

WP Matterport Shortcode 'VR Ready' Bug
Matterport Developer Mode Found (Konami)
Announcing MatterXport

What else? Do you think Matterport will (soon) announce a new VR solution for viewing Matterport Spaces?

Best,

Dan

P.S. There are presently two ways to convert Matterport Spaces to Virtual Reality (VR) viewing experiences:

Via Matterport VR Showcase Beta
Via MP2VR (a third-party solution)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Integratedman private msg quote post Address this user
Thank You for this Dan very interesting...could you define "soon" in your eyes..weeks..months?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I have not converted a model to VR as of yet and I believe the price Matterport is presently charging is ridiculous! If it was added for free as an added value photographers would be doing more scans as more realtors would see more value

Dan are the third party VR conversions still available? Or has Matterport shut down that option as well?
Post 3 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
ArtisticConcepts private msg quote post Address this user
Before they launched 360 views, a sales rep from MP told me the only reason they charged for VR conversion then was that there was a human element in the conversion process. In the same conversation he hinted but did not out right say that there is soon to be an automated system for conversion.

I hope so!
Post 4 IP   flag post
3dvirtueletour private msg quote post Address this user
Hej guys i was thinking about my website name www.vrmatterport.com to make something in vr but when i read everything it s better that i am waiting before they blocked me.

Ferry
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Helen

MP2VR is a third party service provider that converts Matterport Spaces to VR: both for Gear VR and Google Cardboard (Android).

MP2VR charges $99 to convert Matterport Spaces to VR (includes both Gear VR and Google Cardboard).

MP2VR charges $74 to Basic, Standard and Premium Members of the We Get Around Referral Network. (One of about 30 Membership Members.)

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
Ok, so MP2VR did NOT get the axe with the rest of those services? That's encouraging!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ArtisticConcepts

MP2VR conversions are $99 and ready in one business day. ($74 for Basic, Standard and Premium Members of the We Get Around Referral Network).

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I was debugging the Matterport to Shortcode plugin and decided it's definitely not a bug. I looked at the API data for a model I uploaded a few days ago and noticed a new parameter called 'vr_url'.

https://my.matterport.com/api/player/models/zwr6M6XP8ED

"is_vr": true,
"vr_url": "https://my.matterport.com/vr/show/?m=zwr6M6XP8ED"

If you open this link on a mobile device with Matterport VR for android installed (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matterport.mpvrcardboard&hl=en), it'll swap from your web browser and open Matterport VR. It'll show the model in the app, but it will state that it's not yet ready to be viewed.

My guess is that Matterport is automatically converting tours for VR and that we will need to enable it in Workshop, much like how we toggle our tours from private to public. Whether or not Matterport are going to charge a premium for this, I don't know.

It would make sense for this to be a FREE bonus from Matterport simply because the metadata for the tour already says 'is_vr=true' and provides a URL. Why would it do that and indicate that the tour has been converted already? If Matterport are charging, why not save on processing power and convert to VR on demand? I imagine that under 5% of tours would be converted to a paid VR solution. Thus, due all of my recent tours claiming to have already been converted, I'm going to predict that VR will be available for all models without paying more.

Otherwise, Matterport is sitting on a huge amount of silliness.

The only other way to see this would be if the VR conversion was generating an XML file -- something that takes up relatively little space -- and if Matterport just decided that it would make more sense to create this at the time of upload.

OR - maybe Matterport might have talked about how to BEST provide this service and figured - they could convert ALL spaces to VR, but they would be private until paid -- so people could preview and experience their tour in VR and it would COMPELL them to pay. The only problem there is that if I knew all of my tours were already converted and I was paying a monthly fee ... I'd feel miffed -- especially if I were a new Matterport Owner who didn't know life before VR availability.

Food for thought.

Oh one more thing -- on the API data page, what's this?

"social_sharing": false

That's interesting too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Integratedman

Soon = by 1 October 2016

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@ArtisticConcepts I don't know the backstory on MP2VR, but I'm going to guess that Matterport wanted to shut it down on the same TOS grounds as MP2SV and Howner. I would just bet money that MP2VR decided to NOT speak to Matterport and ignore them. I have nothing to substantiate this by. Just my fun guess.
Post 11 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
I'm hoping it is a free conversion bc I just dropped the cash to get a note7 and new Samsung Gear Goggles in anticipation. It should be a very persuasive sales tool.
Post 12 IP   flag post
malfie private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I think there is a big sign up at Matterport dev office that reads 'Before you publish any code, make sure Metroplex360 can't find it'
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@malfie If Matterport is reading this, they should change the sign to: "Don't publish incremental updates to Showcase until you're ready to announce the changes." Honestly we all use and depend on Showcase. They have never [to my knowledge] released an [unannounced] update that has broken functionality - and that's great! However, we would love a changelog. That would be quite nice for us enthusiasts -- especially after the API is developed.

BUT - my comments weren't related to Showcase They were related to the Django framework that all Matterport things pull their data from.

I'm just super excited about how much development is going on - I cannot wait to see how things work. No matter what, we've known VR was coming and we still don't know the details!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Dolloff private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for the updates on VR. I have found the new Beta app and would like to try, but my problem right now is that I have a client who is a LOYAL Apple (iOS) user. The Oculus gear is a Samsung product, so not compatible, nor is MP2VR able to convert to work with Apple. Any solutions or thoughts?? Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Dolloff

I am an Apple fan boy too. I bought two Samsung phones just for VR demos.

MP2VR announced that it will support iOS Fall/Winter 2016. So, hopefully sooner than later.

(I would not promise a date. Just acknowledge that it is coming. ...)

Best,

Dan

P.S. Your Membership in the We Get Around Referral Network entitles you to $74 conversions instead of $99 - via MP2VR.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you Dan! Now thinking about it, I think I might push him to buy the gear and phone. Then the conversions are done automatically with the beta app, correct. We have created almost 50 tours for this company, so it would be worth it for him. The beta app conversions with Oculus are automatic and free, correct? Thanks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 introduced me to the Beta app today and has been very kind to explain. I tend to go around a lot of times before I fully understand these things, so thank you both!
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Dolloff

MP2VR converts Matterport Spaces 3D tours to:

✓ Samsung Gear VR (use the MP2VR app in Oculus App Store)
✓ Google Cardboard (use the MP2VR Android App in Google Play Store)

When you place an order with MP2VR, you receive back a link. When you click on that link (on your mobile device), it will automatically link the model to the MP2VR app - so, you can now open the VR within the MP2VR app.

Clear as mud? It's rather easy, once you do your first or second.

For $74 - your Member price instead of $99 - it's a deal. Plus, you get the conversions back within one business day.

It's a great opportunity to bundle or offer as an optional extra.

For clarification, MP2VR does not support the Oculus Rift.

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Dolloff Yes, anyone can sign up for the BETA version of the VR app at this URL on their website:

https://matterport.com/virtual-reality/

They don't have a BETA version out right now. There was a release on Friday that they retracted. I think it was buggy.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

For clarification, Matterport calls its publicly available app, Matterport VR Showcase Beta.

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
OKAY - I was confused. So it's not part of the BETA program that Matterport has. People can just sign up for it.

There IS a normal version that only works with certain tours:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matterport.mpvrcardboard&hl=en

If you sign up for the BETA, you can install new versions if and when they are released.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Ok, thanks guys. I signed up for the program, if and when it becomes available, I will stay tuned. MP2VR is a good option as well.

Thanks!
Post 23 IP   flag post
101436 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?