Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceDoorsMultiple FloorsStrategy

Door Strategy269

RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys I'm wondering what strategy you guys have with doors that need to be both opened and closed. Take a look at this home I did:

http://www.renderingspace.com/lovejoy-street-virtual-tour/

Check out the staircase leading from the Main Floor to the Lower Level. As you'll see, I have it swung half way so you can go downstairs or upstairs.

Would you do the same or would you only swing the door open on the scan right at the landing?

I've tried both strategies with mixed results. I love not having artifacts by keeping things consistent but I also like the doors to not be distracting.

What would you do besides take the door off!?
Post 1 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
The only reliable solution right now is to leave the door halfway open. I've suggested to Matterport that they add a way to mark a "permeable boundary." We can mark a window, which we can see through but not move through. We should be able to mark a permeable boundary, which we can move through but not see through. That would eliminate the need for the half-open door.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah that's a great idea. I would like to see several other markers to give us more and more control but I'm willing to bet they're working to improve their product as fast as their funding and software can take them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@RenderingSpace @JohnBecker @RenderingSpace

In the kitchen, I close the kitchen panty doors for all scans, except when you "walk" toward the hidden panty doors. Then these panty doors open.

As you know, you can not simply open and close doors because too much of the environment is likely to change and scans will fail.

Magic: To open the doors, I went "around the corner" near the kitchen table where the environment has not changed and then re-shot to get to the open doors. I then deactivated the open door scans, except the one closest to the panty doors.

Helpful?

(We're under a tornado warning in Atlanta, so I may not reply immediately )

Post 4 IP   flag post
Stay safe Dan. If you die, the forum dies.
If the forum dies, we die.
If we die, Matterport dies.
Don't die.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RenderingSpace Thanks. All clear on the weather front and the Forum (Plus, Forum hosting is charged automatically to my credit card each month. And, my credit card bill is paid automatically as a direct debit to our checking account, etc.)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Bobby private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to bring up an old thread here Dan. So when you say you've scanned near the kitchen table with doors open does that mean the matterport will capture data with them open? As in how many scans did you do with them open and what do you think will happen if you actually entered into the pantry. Sorry if I'm not clear. So as a rule do you capture a lot of scans open and a lot closed then delete what you don't need?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Bobby
...So as a rule do you capture a lot of scans open and a lot closed then delete what you don't need?

Yes. 😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Bobby
... what do you think will happen if you actually entered into the pantry.

It should work. Sometimes I can walk into the pantry (and can not walk out. Manage clients' expectations. This is art: not science.)

Worst case, if you can wal-in, but not out: keep these scans for the dollhouse and floor plan views; and deactivate from wal-around view in 3D Workshop.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
101641 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?