Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3rd Party Service ProviderPublishingSalesSell

Pay-per-view tours2583

jntooker private msg quote post Address this user
Who would be interested in having a place where you could submit tours to be viewed on a pay-per-view basis?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cleveland, OH
CLE3D private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting concept, do you mean in a situation where an agent would pay per click instead of upfront fees?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cleveland, OH
Or the user would pay to view it? Like a museum or similar?
Post 3 IP   flag post
ScanMan private msg quote post Address this user
Iv'e got an open ear to any new ideas.
Post 4 IP   flag post
All of the above. It will work a bit differently for real estate but would cover that too - museums, public spaces, etc. I've got something brewing...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cleveland, OH
Standing by and excited to see what else we can do!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys...

This topic ( "Paid Tours" ) was discussed recently in the another thread as well:

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/2520/page/1/virtual-home-staging/#14

The challenge here is that there's really no way (yet) to fully protect a "public" Matterport Model. Once someone/anyone were to pay to see a model, they'd be able to see the actual/public Matterport URL and then could easily share it with anyone else, outside of whatever mechanism was built to offer the "Pay Per View" functionality.

The idea is a great one...but (my opinion) we need some additional functionality from Matterport to be enabled before there's much of an opportunity here.

I hope that changes soon!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Just remember to be nice, ya'll. Matterport TOS restricts photography of certain things
Post 8 IP   flag post
RGO private msg quote post Address this user
jnTooker...yes.....I'd love to know what it is. I have 2 clients that charge admission into their historical venue. They like the idea of 3D scans, but if it is offered free online and people look at it, they will never come to this museum.

They would be interested, by our hint, that by having a PRIVATE channel, like VIMEO PRO, they could have access to this link and then charge an extra fee for those who might want to view the museum through 3D Goggles and into places not open to the public.

So the only person right now stopping this is MP.

So I wold be very interested in any service that can take MP scans, HOST them and give us a Privacy controlled link.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@rpetersn - I think I have a way around this.
@Metroplex360 - can you please elaborate?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@RGO - exactly. What I'm working on is a similar concept and encompasses a great deal more! MP will probably never let us HOST our own tours but I'm working around that greedy little problem and hopefully will be able to unveil my solution in the coming weeks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Let me know if you want or need any other OUT OF THE BOX THINKING. I have approached a few different companies all unrelated to real estate. So I am very interested in hearing from you. Companies have expressed ownership of the files if MP goes under.

Don't know if I can post my email here...or limited to just posting here.

But you have my attention...big time....and I am a videographer, with Drone Pilot and all kinds of high end technology to do video work. MP was an after thought, but WP3D and this VR, THE NEXT BIG THING, had us dip into this world. Yet we see limitations placed upon us.

Hope you have found a way through.....
Post 12 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
That MLK Church Showcase model comes to mind. It's fascinating to explore that wearing a VR headset. One enemy of content creators everywhere is the "Information wants to be free" argument. Many people will spend quite a few BTUs searching for a free version of just about any digital product whether it's software, music or even VR experiences. The Matterport Showcase, in fact, is free.

On the other hand, if someone can promise me a compelling experience that I can't find for free, I might spend some money. Imagine, for example, exploring a famous Hollywood movie set or a museum. Second Life protects its content by forcing users to install small browser viewers. Onlive once had servers that streamed real-time graphically intense gaming action to browsers around the world. I suppose it's possible to stream Matterport models to protected browser environments.

In lieu of a pay-for-view protected site, maybe a free ad supported Matterport model site could work. Google doesn't charge people to view it's premium video content, YouTube. Yet, Google gets rich from ads.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
It's a great idea. I gave up on chasing things like museums after reading this article.

"Isn't there Any Hope?

The bottom line is that browsers need to see the unencrypted, plain text source code to create a webpage. For that reason, it's impossible to hide your HTML source code. If the browser can read it, which it needs to be able to do to render a webpage, then so can a user. That's the bottom line."

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/article.php/3875651/Web-Developer-Class-How-to-Hide-your-Source-Code.htm

Bring us some hope.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Woofbert seems poised to attempt to capture the "View a museum in VR" market. They've released Gear VR and Occulus apps that let people explore a museum. They say it's free for now, but they may charge later.
http://woofbert.com/wbfaq/

Maybe in the future when more people have VR headsets, these types of apps will make serious money. Matterport could probably charge money to view some Gear VR Showcase models if they wanted.

It would be interesting to see what technology Woofbert has created that may or may not resemble Matterport's. Here's their blurb. I wonder what they mean by "post-production" . Maybe their VR museum experience adds features that makes it more like a real tour. I guess I could install the app and see if there's anything amazing.

-- Woofbert on their technology
"We use a variety of photographic, film, and scanning technologies–­­some proprietary, some open source. Our data capture is a combination of an on-­site visit with minimal equipment­­–no cords, cables, or special lighting–and existing materials provided by our partnering institutions. WbVR’s strategic partner is Reload Studios, who works with us on [b]post­-production and development of VR functionality."[/b]
Post 15 IP   flag post
The way this works, is to offer the VR Tour where people cannot go because the ROPES have isolated a room, a path and so on.

You also include TAGS that present a video of that spot, be it History, Construction, Time-lapse.

If you bury the LINKS deep into the underworld of the internet, most people who visit PAID ENTRANCE FEES, will NOT bother as they are not good under the hood. Most people never go there.

So once inside, the 3D Goggles are available at a KIOSK to extend the money stream.

It will work for a while. There are many other THINGS that can happen besides Museums, but being able to isolate the link is critical.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Fun ideas there. I once saw something similar in the free ActiveWorlds VR worlds app. You reach a point where something compelling is just beyond a gate. To go through it, you have to upgrade to a premium membership.

The following possible clients came to mind while watching the news. A company creates 360 photos showing neighborhoods and homes. Those homes are important to people in nursing homes. For instance, one photo may be of the home they grew up in while another of a child's home. The company then gets some cheap cell phones and some Google Cardboard headsets that they brand. They then make them available to nursing homes where residents can visit those homes virtually.

The news segment showed how emotional some of those experiences were. One woman even broke down and cried while viewing a home that's important to her. Another man visited a restaurant where he used to work. I haven't researched the company to see how they make money but I see multiple possibilities. They probably also make money from cell phone and Google Cardboard sales.

In a best case scenario, imagine nursing homes, hospitals and similar places paying Matterport photographers to create scan properties that are important to residents who may never get to visit them again in real life.

Finally, I still don't see why any home seller would not want to take their home with them, especially if they'd lived in it for years and loved the home. Matterport pros can make that possible.

This would require new types of marketing material since the goal wouldn't be to help sell a home but to instead enable someone leaving a home to "take the home with them" in the form of a Matterport model. If it helps sell the home, that's OK too, but you could target people who've already sold their homes but still have access to it. Other markets, such as parents with homesick kids in college.

Maybe you get to the point where Google photographers become competitors in a way, especially since those photographers can create tours that explore a property's exterior and even a neighborhood. Matterport has 360 PHOTO tours but you can't explore those. Apparently the current camera can't always capture nature as well as traditional cameras can.

If I was a Google Street View photographer, I might capture a homes interior, exterior and parts of the neighborhood so my nursing home clients could fully explore emotionally powerful memories that only exist in their memories.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm so excited to hear that other MP Pros are into this idea! I've got a team of supernerds working on it as we speak.

It shall be done and it shall be amazing.
Post 18 IP   flag post
jntooker for President !!!!!

Oh wait.....wrong thread....!!!

LOVE that Supernerds are coming to the rescue !!!

If the privacy link works, and clients will retain ownership of the scans, and ONLY the link can be run by the client....this OPENS so many doors and opportunities....OUTSIDE of real estate.

As a videographer, drone pilot certified by the FAA and using all kinds of high tech toys recording in 4K, this SUPERNERD Solution.....will be amazing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@jntooker I was making a joke earlier concerning the usual nature of a 'Pay Per View' experience.

But in regards to your reply "I think I have a way around that..." -- I think that the chances that someone is going to repost your tour elsewhere is rather slim. I think that just like photography, you could easily write a copyright notice on the tour and in the information state that the tour is for use only on xyz.com. If anyone violated that, you could send a cease and desist.

B/C honestly - it would only take using the Developer Tools in the browser to figure out how to get the URL for the Matterport Tour.

I'm 100% for making PPV tours REGARDLESS of the security of the tours. And hoping that in the future, they'll have domain locking added.
Post 20 IP   flag post
ALERT !!!!

What did MP do ? Did they change CODE that makes several 3rd party software units inoperable ?

JNTOOKER....does this stop your Supernerds from creating what you were intending ?

MP is like a glacier.....best 3D program, but slow on the options we need.

Someone is going to create an AS GOOD 3D SOFTWARE as MP and then the 3rd party people are going to write for it...taking all the service providers along with them.

Just having 3D MP, real estate agents are slow to try or use. So you have to add LOTS OF EXTRAS. With MP changing CODE, those EXTRAS may be gone.....and the momentum is lost. More 3rd Party EXTRAS, means more agents doing scans, which means MP makes more money.

I don't get it.

So, JNTOOKER, what does this do to your creations ?
rgo
Post 21 IP   flag post
We signed up to be MP BETA Testers, did all the paperwork and have never heard back from MP.

For us, the big items are TAGS with LINKS and PRIVACY Channel.

The Forward thinking lady, her handle was or is JNTOOKER

I'm so excited to hear that other MP Pros are into this idea! I've got a team of supernerds working on it as we speak.

It shall be done and it shall be amazing.

Is whatever she was doing, does this MP CODE change affect what she was doing ?

Do you have conversations with her outside of the POST ?

I would love to know what she was doing AND IF that is done now.

Thanks Dan…while away, I will stay informed about what is happening so we can get back to a couple of clients and see what the damage is how we go forward.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@RGO
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of pocket the past couple days.

The API changing doesn't directly affect my plan; however, it seems that the MP philosophy on third-party collaboration has changed and that may prove troublesome.

In a nutshell, everything is TBD but I suspect MP will find a way to compromise with MP Pros/Vendors if and when we can show them a quantifiable benefit.

RE: "Someone is going to create an AS GOOD 3D SOFTWARE as MP and then the 3rd party people are going to write for it...taking all the service providers along with them."

Sure, that is always the risk isn't it? There is a long list of famous companies that lost their edge due to the inability (or unwillingness) to embrace innovation and collaboration. Ever heard of Blackberry? Blockbuster? XEROX?? MySpace?

These companies all have something specific in common...at one time they were on top. But they had no viable competitors forcing them to innovate. So then, here comes Netflix, et al., seemingly out of nowhere, and well, we all know the rest of the story. Being the only provider does not inherently make you the best and it's only a matter of time before there is another option.

MP must have their reasons for disabling 3rd party collaboration but I have to agree, based on the many threads full of disgruntled MP Pros in this forum, that this could become a real problem for them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Cleveland, OH
Spot on @jntooker
Post 24 IP   flag post
101421 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?