Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Free MP2SQFT.com Calculates SQ FT and Metres2568

bonduell private msg quote post Address this user
@scanman

They are not present this tool yet. I think they are not ready. There's so many errors.
Post 51 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I really don't understand why everybody is so upset, Matterport is a great company. It has never advertised a tool and not followed up in a timely manor. So the reality is that if Matterport said there is going to be a change in programing to disrupt this tool, then it tells me that Matterport chooses what they want to focus on and the speed they want to follow up on items that impact the users. Again don't get me wrong, I enjoy the tool, I like the product, but again Matterport support is not there. It seems that they have no problem with input from users but like I have said for about two years it seems Matterport shows me they like to show us who is in charge and instead of embracing the ideas and input and work as a collaborating effort to make this tool even better they choose to fight us every step of the way. Maybe we will be lucky and they will work as fast on the reprograming as they worked on Mattertags, so we will be able to use it for about two years. So the reality is this will show us how Matterport really works, do they continue to look at users with good ideas as competition or look at us as a good pool of information and collaborate with us not try to bottle neck it at every turn. Just my input.

Ron
Post 52 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@bonduell It's not a secret that the information on MP2SQFT is sourced from camera information. I published links to the files in use months ago on MatterXport. The difference between publishing a link to a file and making a tool like this is rather obvious -- MP2SQFT has additional features that people find useful.
Post 53 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ CarlosFHdz
@Metroplex360 ...

"... Some of our more talented and curious community developers have discovered data from experimental features accompanying Matterport spaces. Some of this, like the "sq meters" data, has garnered a lot of enthusiasm and even tools built on it. Unfortunately, as much as we love the enthusiasm, we are planning to make this sort of experimental data inaccessible next week [week of 12 September 2016].

For third-party developers using this feature, we know this is probably frustrating, and we apologize for the headache. We love our vibrant developer community, and we want to do all we can to foster it. But, experimental data is experimental for a reason. It may not be thoroughly tested enough, it may have serious flaws or inaccuracies, and most importantly, we don't want our customers to rely on data that we cannot fully stand behind. But there's some good news! We are hoping to further develop these feature, and then offer them as part of our formal beta program. We don't yet have a timeline for that, though.

Again, we apologize for the changes, and look forward to re-introducing "sq meters" and other functionality soon!"

@Metroplex360

In light of the above, perhaps the following text changes on www.MP2SQFT.com would enable Matterport to feel good about allowing your (essential) tool to remain free for the community and live.

1. Add "Beta" as in MP2SQFT BETA
2. Add, in big print, Experimental, as in ...
Experimental M2SQFT Beta
3. Add Matterport's concern to the webpage:

"... Some of our more talented and curious community developers have discovered data from experimental features accompanying Matterport spaces. Some of this, like the "sq meters" data, has garnered a lot of enthusiasm and even tools built on it. Unfortunately, as much as we love the enthusiasm, we are planning to make this sort of experimental data inaccessible next week [week of 12 September 2016].

For third-party developers using this feature, we know this is probably frustrating, and we apologize for the headache. We love our vibrant developer community, and we want to do all we can to foster it. But, experimental data is experimental for a reason. It may not be thoroughly tested enough, it may have serious flaws or inaccuracies, and most importantly, we don't want our customers to rely on data that we cannot fully stand behind. But there's some good news! We are hoping to further develop these feature, and then offer them as part of our formal beta program. We don't yet have a timeline for that, though.

Again, we apologize for the changes, and look forward to re-introducing "sq meters" and other functionality soon!"

----

4. About the disclaimers presently live on www.MP2SQFT.com ...

----

MP2SQFT v2.0 Powered by @Metroplex360 | Presented by WE GET AROUND 3D2VR FORUM

Disclaimer: MP2SQFT is a tool that provides analysis of camera data for tours shot after the November 2015 Firmware Update.

----

Make the disclaimer text bigger and change the disclaimer text to ...

----

Disclaimers:

1. The Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Capture Tool is a service of @Metroplex360 and presented by WE GET AROUND 3D2VR FORUM.

2. Metroplex360 and WE GET AROUND 3D2VR FORUM are not affiliated with Matterport. Matterport does not encourage and does not support the use of Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Capture Tool.

3. Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Capture Tool provides analysis of Matterport experimental camera data that Matterport says "... may have serious flaws or inaccuracies, and most importantly, we don't want our customers to rely on data that we cannot fully stand behind. ..."

4. Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool is compatible with Matterport Spaces created after a Matterport November 2015 firmware update.

Best,

Dan
Post 54 IP   flag post
bonduell private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex360 Your tool is great! No one could say that the tool is not lovely. But I told to hot guys, that the Matterport are working over new features and do all their best to be on the top. They couldn't give to customers product As Is, like yours. Measurements should be perfect!
Post 55 IP   flag post

ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to see them embrace things that help everyone. If they showed how they embrace input and work to make it better. There is no doubt there engineers are looking to make the camera the best, but I have gone down this road with other products. The groups that are open to input and additional ideas, the products have a tendency to get better quicker. Put it this way If I had the time and was looking to buy a camera and started to read this forum and saw some of the remarks about customer support, how tools that were developed like the work @Metroplex360 invest in making tools that are from a users point of view and very good, and the slow release of products Matterport advertised themselves, I would seriously think twice. I keep saying this, I would rather see some dialog with regular feed back with what is going. Have a conference where we all can meet and talk about issues, ways to do things better, meet the engineers and get there actual thoughts about what we are saying and talking about. They go to a lot of conferences to sell the camera, put one together for the users. DO SOMETHING to show us that we as users care.

@bonduell the camera is not perfect, read the articles on accuracy. I use a FARO scanner and as good as it is it is not perfect. If you go in knowing it is not perfect but know the limitation, you have a new tool that will help. I have already showed clients the potential use of this tool and they want to use not for a perfect measurement but to get an idea if the property is close to being what is set in county records for tax purposes. I have seen tax records being completely off. So again just a tool that knowing the limitation is great. Again just my input.

Ron
Post 56 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod Done. I skipped Disclaimer #3 though as I felt it was better represented in the 'A Notice from Matterport' section.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@bonduell I absolutely do agree with you. Matterport has to function like Apple -- they can only give people features that are perfect. Experiments like mine belong as 3rd party tools. I do believe, however, that Matterport should be fine with allowing MP2SQFT to continue to exist without removing the data.

I -can- see Matterport removing all of the data so that they can replace it on future scans with more accurate data if they plan on that. That way Workshop has data they are happy with -- or at least, they could have versioning on the files and only use the new ones with Workshop.
Post 58 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360 Great

With all the disclaimer text and disassociation with Matterport, they likely could feel good about your experimental beta calculator tool and could learn in real-time about how an (awesome) developer like you can create huge value for the community.

As you know, I curate essential tools for We Get Around Referral Network Members succeed faster.

In this instance, I feel that your Experimental MP2SQFT Calculator Tool is so essential, that I offered to promote the free use for the community.

Plus, by having Matterport Pros use the tool in volume, you are able to iterate significant improvements in less than a week since it was available publicly, based on their feedback.

Dan
Post 59 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

About the data that you use for the Experimental MP2SQFT Calculator Tool, is it the same data that Matterport uses for:

✓ Matterport Workshop
✓ Matterport Schematic Floor Plans

Best,

Dan
Post 60 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod I don't think that this specific data is used for either.
Post 61 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
I would have thought they would want beta feedback as long as it is known and understood that it is beta.

That really sucks with all the time and effort that went into development.
Post 62 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

I see that you already added all the disclaimer text to the Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool website.

Since all this disclaimer text addresses all their concerns, seems like they will keep the data live since the community has embraced your free calculator tool so quickly and are giving you a ton of great feedback.

Best,

Dan
Post 63 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

If you would like a Promo Code for free use of the Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool, please Private Message (PM) me.

Best,

Dan
Post 64 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Its a big slap in the face, matterport should rather welcome people creating software/apps like this.

Its shows support for the technology and also what we want and need out in the field. Its close to accurate enough to be used for billing, and could be co-developed further.

Hope it wont be shut down.

Ok, just saw the rest of the tread and saw they are keeping it as beta, great news and glad matterport came to their senses. :-)

They should look back in history... Microsoft exists because they give people what they ask for, OS/2 died a slow death because IBM gave people what the programmers thought people needs. The more people embrace your software and product the better it will become and keep on growwing.
Post 65 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JC3DCX

Fingers and toes crossed that Matterport will allow the (essential) (amazing) Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool to continue now that @Metroplex360 has posted all of Matterport's concerns about relying on the data and letting everyone know that @Metroplex360 and We Get Around 3D2VR Forum - formerly known as the Matterport User Group Forum – are not affiliated with Matterport.

Dan
Post 66 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

For this listing (above), We Get Around invoiced our client based on 1,828 sq ft. To calculate the sq ft, we imported the model into SketchUp and measured the area.

Using the Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool, we get 1,802.51 sq ft - without any adjustments.

That's a difference of 25.49 sq ft (0.14 percent).

We would much rather use the Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool to estimate sq ft than the cumbersome process we go through now.

If you look closely at the images below, you will see that we did not scan the closet and behind a bed (black) which is likely the 25.49 sf ft difference.

In Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool, there is an option to use the Scan Data Studio Tool (Beta), it is possible to add these spaces back in to enable the calculator to include this square footage in the calculation.

Post 67 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A challenge for you:

Using one of your models:

1. What square footage (or Meters) did you bill your client?
2. What square footage (or Meters) does the Experimental MP2SQFT Beta Calculator Tool report?
3. What is the difference in square feet (or Meters)?
4. What is the difference by percentage?

Best,

Dan
Post 68 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Bug fix - MP2SQFT now supports urls in the format:
http://my.matterport.com/model/XXXXXXXX
https://my.matterport.com/model/XXXXXXXX

Before it was looking for:
http://my.matterport.com/show/?m=XXXXXXXX
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=XXXXXXXX
Post 69 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=3orKVs3Zix7

I was about to bill a client based on SQFT provided for 5227 SQFT based on the published house size and my estimate of additional rooms. MP2SQFT.com provided a total of 5316 SQFT which included 2 garages. Based on this, I was able to bill slightly higher for more accurate numbers.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 We recently scanned a small flat, 600 SqFt, the agent "forgot" to mention the huge garden which mp2sqft calculated to be 800 SqFt. I sent over a screenshot of the calculation and the agent was so happy that I sent the garden SqFt (that he didn´t) have, that he didn´t even question the additional cost.

I think you should add a "donate" button to mp2sqft... I´d use it
Post 71 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@3DscannUK MP2SQFT is a perk of WGA Forum membership by the grace of Matterport capturing the information necessary to generate the results. No donation button!
Post 72 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
@ 3DscannUK I would of thought the garden would be hard to have a sqft done with the model showing it so erratically. Did you cover the whole area and make it nice for dollhouse?
Post 73 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@smcclell East facing garden in the afternoon so no issues with the sun, had no problems capturing the entire garden. Mind you, this is in London so it´s got walls all around.

Hey @Metroplex360

Post 74 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
Why is it when someone who is an everyday user finds a way to make a great product (the MP camera) into an awesome solution, that the creator feels the need to stop the creation?
We are helping test the solutions and make something even better.
We are working together to create an awesome solution. Sometimes the solution can be held back due to bug testing within the corporate world. But in the real world a little leap of faith can change the 360º visualisation world for the better much quicker.
The more heads looking at a problem allows for a greater solution. This user group and forum allows open talking to help develop new ideas.
@Metroplex360 is helping develop new ideas and should be rewarded for this. Or is this what MP is worried about?
With great solutions there is increased benefits for all of us.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
MP2SQFT is a free service based on experimental data. I could never consider reselling the data that you create with your camera!

The difference between this and a service like MP2VR or MP2SV is that those services are using camera assets but charging for labor.

I am in the same boat as you guys! The tool is helping me to bill more accurately then my own measurements for scans without given sqft. I have made several hundred dollars by not under measuring!
Post 76 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Hopefully, Matterport will look at all the qualifier words added to www.MP2SQFT.com and allow this free tool for the Matterport community to stay live.

After all, the page now includes:

✓ experimental scan data
✓ Beta
✓ Notice from Matterport about the scan data
✓ Disclaimer that @Metroplex360 and WE GET AROUND FORUM are NOT affiliated with Matterport

Dan
Post 77 IP   flag post
FuturePhotography private msg quote post Address this user
I tested the MP2SQFT and I love it. Thank you very much for this great addition !!! Sadly I heard that MP is changing something that will make this great tool not work anymore . I will definitely complain to MP!

Barry
Post 78 IP   flag post
Acomeau15 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a big fan of the tool as well, we've used it for billing purposes and it has quickly become a staple in our process. Shame Matterport has its own agenda regardless of what the community is doing and saying. Hopefully the new additions to the MP2SQFT allow its continuation.
Post 79 IP   flag post
michelg private msg quote post Address this user
I just tried and it is rather useful. Anything that can give added value to the use of Matteport camera is good to take. Why Matterport would deprive third parties developments while this may give it ahead of the competition?

Michel
Post 80 IP   flag post
101436 82 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?