Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D Showcase

Matterport Making Huge Changes2535

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

When Matterport Tour are uploaded, two sets of images are created. A low and high resolution set. Low is for mobile, high is for desktop. High resolution panoramas are based on a series of 6 1K cubefaces (1024x1024).

Today [Thursday, 31 August 2016], I discovered that my new tours are processing differently. Whether this is post-firmware upgrade or due to a change in the processing system, I am not sure.

Today, I noticed that there are now 3 sets. Low, High and 2K. 2K generates a series of 6 2K cubefaces (2048 x 2048). In addition, each cubeface generates 4 separate tiles (1024 x 1024 each). Thus, anyone can see that there is an image set that contains 4x the # of pixels now being generated. It is not currently, to my knowledge, being used.

In comparing the quality of the 1K and 2K images, it is my educated guess that our current cameras do not take 2K images, but that they do take images that are larger than 1K.

I have attached an example of the 1K (normal) images and the 2K images as well as a comparison wherein I have upscaled the 1K image to match the size of the 2K image. It is noticeable that the 2K image has less artifacting while not containing a significant amount of added detail.

What I can infer from these changes are this:

1) The Matterport Showcase Platform now supports a theoretical Matterport Pro Camera that shoots at a higher megapixel.

2) Our MP Cameras already have the potential to shoot higher quality images than we realized.

--

Next - My private copy of MatterXport is now broken. The 'atlased' images that contained 6 exported cubefaces in one file are no longer being produced.

Next - there are two new files that are being generated that I find most interesting as I cannot see what use they serve. They are floorplans containing a graphical representation of each our our scans -- similar to what we see in Matterport Capture. We can essentially create a floorplan ourselves by taking a screen capture from our iPad and it would look very much like this image. If we own an iPad Pro, the resolution would be higher. The image contains our trim marks, mirror marks, window marks, and scans. I honestly cannot fathom what the image is for.

--

Lastly, I posted about a cool parameter a while back -- &console=1. This feature has been sort of removed now. If one embeds their tour with this parameter, the console window will still display, but regardless of &log=X, nothing is displayed there.

There is work being done on an 'instant on' feature wherein tours load instantly. It's a command line parameter that's already available to use -- qs=1 -- although I highly recommend not using it. There's a reason Matterport doesn't publish all of their parameters -- many of them aren't 'production ready' and many of them aren't useful on the whole. This parameter is an experiment from what I can tell as the first scene loads instantly, but there's uneven delay when setting out on your journey through your tour. So, in sharing this, the response I hope for is -- 'Oh, that's neat, thanks for sharing. Had fun playing with it and can't wait to see what Matterport come up with next.'

--

You guys are great and as with all of my Matterport adventures, I can say with confidence that they are continuing to build a stronger platform that will continue to benefit us in the days ahead!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex360 I love your R&D. Imagine in the future MP opening their platform to third party cameras with higher specs. Their software will be ready for that, which could be a smart move to decrease reliance on selling hardware.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
One more thing - I've noticed that Matterport has made good on their promise to remove the ability for people to download the OBJ files that can be downloaded via exploits (such as the short lived MatterXport service).

This is a good thing for the security of content. We can still download our models via the correct avenue of logging in to Workshop.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
http://twitter.com/TheGaryo/status/714980717160214529

I can feel your genius trying to get in and I think I can taste it but I got to the end and realize this is not sinking in for one having a pea brain like I do. However I always enjoy your posts because they give insight that I usually get and say "wow" when I am done. Keep it up
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Tosolini I think Matterport has a new camera in the wings. That's 100% speculation from my side. The difference between the 1K and 2K images is -not- worth upgrading the platform, therefore, there's a new camera that Showcase already supports.

What I want to do is watch matterport.com to see if they upload any new tours that have a significant amount of difference in the details between their 1K and 2K tile sets.

My advice to everyone here is to start budgeting for a new Matterport Camera. We had this discussion a week or so ago and I believe that I'm not alone in feeling that a new camera is inevitable, but that its release is NOT imminent. Even when it's ready to ship, there will be a significant amount of marketing necessary as well as testing. What we know is that the platform is likely ready and we can guess that perhaps a prototype already exists and the platform is capable of showing what it is capable of.

So ... next mission is to find evidence of the prototype by waiting for them to post a tour on the Matterport Blog that was shot by it. Doubtful that someone will see one in the wild in silicon valley
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Also ... Matterport is REALLY up to something right now... they updated to Showcase v2.7.5 in the past few hours ... it WAS v2.7.4 earlier.

To see what version and be a big fat nerd who watches version numbers increasing, just load a tour like their most recent demo:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=wpUhyZx1wMc

Then CTRL+U to view source. Scroll to the bottom and check this line:
<script src="js/main.js?v=2.7.5-0-g35f1fec"></script>

-- Love it!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nfinitevr private msg quote post Address this user
keep us up to date and thank you
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I found 3 differences. 2 were changing the version numbers. 1 was a bug fix for a feature that looks an awful lot like something we're all waiting for to drop. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if we get announcement in the next 24-48 hours.
Post 8 IP   flag post
ThreeDImaging private msg quote post Address this user
I really enjoyed reading your posts, whether not I understand them completely is a different question. Thank u again
Post 9 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
agree his posts are super informative and expands the border of thought for me when it comes to the technical aspects of what matterport has inside it. Anyone in his area (I am not but have a real estate brokerage client there), if you are a real estate agent or broker, should reach out to him as he is a stronger marketeer as much as he speaks geek here. :-)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I totally geek out on the Matterport Platform...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
yeah but its cool. I get so buried in what I do that when I read your stuff its like popping my head out of the forest and seeing a great landscape that you show. last year I went round and round with matterport about the HD not being true HD and some other issues and I just buried my head on things. You and Dan give me hope that things are getting better. Thank you
Post 12 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Once again you have opened the portals to the closed realms of Matterport amazing work, very interesting indeed!
Post 13 IP   flag post
fsmith private msg quote post Address this user
I tried playing around with "qs=1" - very cool. No dollhouse comes up but super fast load... almost instant. Matterport branding has gone also entirely :-)

> but there's uneven delay when setting out on your
> journey through your tour.
?
For a walkthrough tour which automatically starts, I found that adding a delay via "ts=3" or "ts=5" (depends on how long a delay you want) helps mitigate this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
101599 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?