Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I'm working on an 11,000+ sf property. Really wanted to do it as 1 model. Am having tilting issues in some spaces because, as tech support told me, I had gone outside then came back inside. I tried to go outside during "safe" times. Because of the nature of this really amazing place, you HAVE to transition outside to get to other structures. It's over 300 scans so far. Just got the processed model back which took the poor server over 30 hours to crank. I had all but given up on it when I got the email back saying it was ready to view (I was on the way to the grocery). Client hasn't complained yet about the tilting, which in some instances is rather noticeable, but given all I know about the limitations of MP, it's still amazing, tilts and all. Posting a Workshop dollhouse view here to show scope of property. MP may shut my account down after this job. There's one more session to get from the exercise pavilion to the dock (more outside-sunset, and at high tide only by edict of owner). This is the job which has made me wish for mattertag "teleport" between model function.
Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
wow, looks quite big
Post 2 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
Share link would love to see it
Post 3 IP   flag post
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=MkZ9YYS6cQu
Post 4 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful opening shot of the home from outside. Inside looks good -- it's the biggest model I've seen. It may take a while for the client to go through that. From the dollhouse, it looks like one of those massive video game worlds.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
-WOW- I am -amazed-.

BTW - you got yourself in the reflection:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=MkZ9YYS6cQu&start=1,ad111ad9df884f1dacb3a5e3a1072ea6,0.4563,1.2106,1.9196,-0.0045,0.0181,0.0001,0.9998

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=MkZ9YYS6cQu&start=1,59880a866b054382adc502e0061e0d5d,0.3144,0.7622,4.8050,-0.0202,-0.1455,-0.0030,0.9891

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=MkZ9YYS6cQu&start=1,ee57a4728b0f49848830ad70f844caaa,0.3439,1.2250,3.2921,-0.0202,-0.1455,-0.0030,0.9891

And one of those scans near there was redundant (lights on inside / lights off inside).

Clean this puppy up and show it off with pride. This is one of the most ambitious scans I've EVER seen. Amazing what you attempted and succeeded at.

BTW - I pressed 'L' during the tour to generate those links if anyone is wondering where that came from.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
What do you mean exactly, pressed "L"? Can you explain in more detail? I would love to know how as I work in the edit department of the tour company and would love to be able to send a link directly to the photographer as to a location where I can tell him what he did right (or wrong).

Thanks from a newbie
:-)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hey, Metroplex360, I'm pretty good looking, no? Yes, I'm going to disable a few scans, etc, when I'm finished. I like how it deals with foliage, so will probably not trim that out. I started the run from front door to clubhouse just as I thought it was bright enough to get some sky and arrived at the entrance door just as the sun peeped over the horizon. There is a clock in the driveway which reports my progress. Every scan aligned in that sequence which surprised me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 I was trying to tie in the run down the driveway to existing scans and it would not align so I plopped the camera down on top of an existing scan which aligned. The earlier ones were done in evening and more colorful ones done early morning. Also, firmware and capture updates between!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Wyzlo private msg quote post Address this user
@harlanHambright

Absolutely Amazing !!

I love when people extend the natural capabilities of the camera!!

Love this Work !!!

why you said this "MP may shut my account down after this job"

You are amazing !!!

*Can I ask something?
how much would that work cost?
I still need some help with prices
Post 10 IP   flag post
I am charging less than it should be, but I've been working on this property since 2008! I did a website for it, a 4 page brochure, a video, it's been in the wall street journal, atlanta constitution, discovery channel, and a host of other venues. I offered it to the owner (who was CEO of a RAID drive company) for promotion (his and mine) at a discount and am updating photos, etc, all at a package deal. If this were a from scratch, new client, normal job, it would have been not a whole lot less than what we pay for our cameras.

I have learned quite a bit from this job as well. Like how big can a job be before you have to split it up? This will top out at 400 scans later this week when high tide converges with sunset when I go to the boat dock. I'll let you know if the model processes then and how long it takes (probably 48 hours). Processing took forever but Showcase handles it just fine.

I also learned the current limitations of the technology vis-a-vis imaging problems (tilting). As you can see, it was imperative that I go outside then back inside to capture this place, but tech support says that's what caused tilting. I don't understand how going outside and getting IR pollution would effect a bedroom suite some 50 feet and 30 scans later however.

I was told to do all interior scanning before venturing outside. A potential solution to this would be to scan the main house then go outside half way to guest house. Then scan guest house in a new model then go halfway to main house. The last scans of each model would be adjacent in the real world. A Mattertag action in each of the last scans would link to each other. Likewise a Mattertag action in a scan could be "open 360view#3." 360views could link to one another in a similar manner.

Of course, multiple windows on a webpage gets around this, but I really like the physical connection as a seamless transition.

I still have to get to the house from the gated entry bridge, a trip of some 100 yards or so. A series of 360views is the only way to accomplish that at present. I like the little loop down the driveway, through the garage and up to the kitchen. I would have done that as 1 level, but I had already overlapped those spaces in the screen porch above. I have a third level with like 6 scans in it.

@Wyzlo: just a joke. I can imagine MP's mainframe smoking while processing all these scans. (or whatever they have.)
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright

Rather than a new model, I would scan all off it in one model and then duplicate twice: one model for the first inside space and one for second inside space two.

This way, as the Matterport processing gets better, you might get one Soace that is tilt free. You might ask Support for help too. It would be good promotion for MP too 😎

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome, I too would recommend to do what you can capture it all in one model.
Duplicate the model, and then pick a place where things haven't changed to get it to align again, then continue to the uncaptured space.
That's worked for me in the past for properties over 10K sqft where I've had to return.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'll bump hometakes' question, "What do you mean exactly, pressed "L"?

L pans the view left for me, as the documentation/help says. If there's a hotkey that captures the current view's URL, that's essentially bookmarking capability that lets us revisit specific model locations.
Post 14 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a link to the various showcase keyboard shortcuts.

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/216809738-Showcase-Keyboard-Shortcuts

If you look down at the Global hotkeys, you will notice

U: Show URL to this exact view - great for sharing an exact location in a space

Hope this helps!
Jon
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks. I just tried it and it works great. Maybe they can tweak that feature so you can jump around a model quickly via clicking links you've bookmarked. Currently, the model reloads the entire Matterport model from scratch before navigating to the linked location.

Some people viewing a large model, such as the Little Hawkins Island property, might love the ability to explore 20 or 30 interesting locations randomly and later backtrack to where they were originally.

We can always click a place in the Dollhouse to teleport if we remember where that place was. But as you see from Little Hawkins Island, that place is seemingly infinite in size. Pressing "U" is still handy because we can return to a specific property location or send someone else there via a link. I suppose if we had about six favorite locations we'd like to explore frequently, we could save their links in a browser folder and open all bookmarked links at once. We'd get six tabs where each tab showed a specific part of our model.
Post 16 IP   flag post
101641 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?