Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

How do you respond to this valid concern?2404

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
So kinda as a follow up to yesterday's message about my client wanting his content on a DVD. His main concern as I just learned was the fact that he has no control over the content that he purchased. He asked, what happens if my company goes out of business. And to be honest, he stumped me with that question. What do you guys tell people with that concern? What would I be able to do with my customers content if I did go out of business?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Have someone else host the model on their account (obviously there would have to be a monthly or yearly fee charged to the client for continued hosting to cover the expense that Matterport charges).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D - That's a good one!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
1. He can have his content on iPad
2. You can arrange for him to have his content on his own Matterport account, which he will have to pay for monthly.
3. His up front investment is not that large, I assume, just several hundred dollars, which he can ask you to prorate and refund based on the number of months you've arranged for him to use the server service.
4. This is just how this product is marketed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
And then, what if that person I have host it goes out of business?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
His concern is that his content is going to be online indefinitely due to the business he is in. Could he have his own Matterport hosting account without purchasing a camera? If not, MP should consider this option.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Thanks Mike. I didn't realize a person not owning a camera could have a hosting account. That answers the question then. He would have to get his own hosting account if I ever did go out of business.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Mmm, quite a chuckle. Tomorrow is promised to no one, so you can't give any guarantee. He will be able to have his space hosted via his own account or another service provider as long as Matterport is in business. Had the same kind of question from one of my clients and told him that Matterport have got some nwe investors and is expanding so I believe they will be in business for a long time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Boston
KoaWare private msg quote post Address this user
As we work with other Matterport providers, we hear this one a lot too and it's not always easy to answer.

One option I've considered, is subscriptions after 1 or 2 years if they want to keep the model for longer.

Basically, you can set a guaranteed period that will be hosted with you at no charge, say 1 year. After that, I'm not sure there's a clear monthly cost per model because Matterport monthly tiers are based on scans per month and other variables (correct me if I'm wrong).

To keep a clients model hosted forever maybe it might be best to have them subscribe to you for 5-$10/month after 1 year. If you get enough clients doing that you don't have to worry about the monthly Matterport cost even if you stop providing the service. You might even be able to decrease the monthly amount for those subscribers if you get enough.

It's easy to setup subscriptions that start after 1 year with PayPal or billing platforms like FreshBooks.

What are others thinking about doing here? I've been hoping they'd remove the limit one day so this wouldn't an issue!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@KoaWare @pixelray

We Get Around uses MoonClerk for automatic monthly billing. (Same solution we use for your Memberships in the We Get Around Referral Network.)

Some related Matterport User Group Forum threads:

Monthly Recurring Revenue versus 1x Payments
Tip: How to do automatic monthly billing
Automatic Billing

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
I think the question is really valid and it should be defined clearly by matterport that in the vent that the company goes out of business each account will become property of account holder and data will be available for hosting wherever the owner of the account wishes to host. I think today we do not have any kind of security in the event that something goes wrong.

@Dansmigrod have this ever been discussed with Matterport. We really don't want to just tell our clients "well your tours are all gone into thin air sorry about that"

I think as providers we hold some liability so how do we protect that liability.

Thanks
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3Dwalkmethru

Matterport has raised $56,000,000 ... how much money has your client raised?

Matterport investors include Ashton Kutcher and CBRE
, the world’s largest commercial real estate services provider. Which A-list celebrity has invested in your client? Which world's largest company has invested in your client?

These are silly questions that your clients are asking. They deserve a silly answer.

If they are still concerned, have them invest in sure-things: Blockbuster, Eastern Airlines, Pan Am, Kodak, RIM, Woolworth, Circuit City, and Polaroid.

The Safe Way is a grocery store.

I am not a lawyer. I can not give legal advice.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
I have answered the question in this manner and I have assured my client that Matterport is solid. I do not think I am asking you for legal advise I am asking the forum if we should have some protection for our clients. There is no guarantee that Matterport will be around in 2-5 years.

The question is coming mostly from vacation rental companies and hotels as they keep tours long term.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3Dwalkmethru

Ah! Vacation rental companies and hotels. That's a helpful piece of the puzzle. The reason this question does not come up for us is that we charge a shoot fee + monthly hosting.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yes actually the beginning of the thread has to do with a request from my source (a vacation rental company) to a pro I connected him with.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Boston
KoaWare private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod this probably the way to go. I think the question wasn't about matterport going out of business but the photographer who hosts the model. What happens when a matterport provider cancels their account? Are their models deleted?
Post 16 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
How is the model data transfered to another account? Or can MP just change the user who owns it?
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@KoaWare Ah!

Note to photographer: stay in business

I could imagine a Pro exiting the business could ask Matterport to transfer the models to another account.

If Matterport allows this, We Get Around would be happy to do a revenue share.

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dwalkmethru
There is no guarantee that Matterport will be around in 2-5 years.

Even if Matterport shut the doors tomorrow and stopped selling cameras and processing models, there's no way they'd stop hosting models because that's essentially free money from all of us who pay to have them hosted. Really... how much does it cost to have the models hosted on servers, and how much are they making in recurring hosting fees?! I'm sure there's a HUGE profit margin there. I believe these fears are unfounded.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Wow...got home from work and found this thread grew a lot. THanks to you all for your input. Just to set the record straight, I was never concerned about MP going out business. I was just looking for options to help answer the question about if MY company went out of business and what would happen to all the models in my account and what would I do with them. One question from a referred client asked me this and it just got me thinking. I have found the answers...so thanks again to everyone. Always get what I need here.
Post 20 IP   flag post
101268 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?