Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceSwimming Pool

Brain Teasers223

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Other ideas on how to solve this Brain Teaser?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Scan the furniture and digitally add it (like the matterport video promised us 2 years ago
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Jamie nope
Post 28 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
@Dan, you are making me pull out what little hair I have left mate. Not nice :P
Is it something obvious like the jacuzzi one?
hint????
Post 29 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Duplicate the model then start somewhere that not much has changed (close to new scan area) and get a new scan to catch.

Plan out new area you want to scan and see where you are going to finish.

Go to finish and make sure you can get a scan to catch to prevent further alignment issues in mesh.

Scan new area making sure to get new alignment based off of the most recent start or finish marks.

You should end up with 2 layers of scans on top of each other for the affected areas. (the older layer and the new updated layer both)

Duplicate the model.

Delete the older scans underneath leaving just the newer scans, the start and finish scan, and then the points the start and finish scan aligned to in mesh and then upload.

If you have issues go back to master (with all scans) and adjust accordingly.
Post 30 IP   flag post

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@alx3D

Exactly Right!

(Or, at least that's the plan)

Namaste,

Dan
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Bonus Question

Where am I most likely to begin scanning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @alx3D
... start somewhere that not much has changed ...

(It is likely much of the environment has changed, except in these places. I do have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice in mind.)

Dan
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Success!

I will update this thread with the "Before" and "After" 3D Showcases in one post below. I am waiting for a slightly better trimmed version to process, plus, there are at least 16 scans I will then need to deactivate.

@alx3D nailed it about how I planned to approached this "After" update.

Here's what I learned today:

1. It's hard work to make it look so easy
2. Updating a model – where the environment has changed dramatically -- is doable, but difficult and time-consuming
3. Manage clients' expectations; it may not be possible to update
4. Have a plan; be prepared for the plan not to work (and have a Plan B).

On to the tactics, the original model (12 April 2015) had 190 scans (though I disabled many). When I got done today, the model had 297 scans. [No limit on the number of scans, though Matterport only supports 200 scans, if you run into trouble. Plus, you really want the scan count to be under 200 so that the model does not crash webGL.] I deleted enough scans to get the count down to 172. Keep in mind that I did NOT delete ANY scans before doing the "after" scans today.]

1. It took me 1.5 hours to find an old scan that I could connect a new scan. I experienced about two dozen scan failures during that time. My first choice to find a "connectable" scan was the small room next to the kitchen. (Furniture moved). My second choice was the kitchen. (Too many things moved/added). My third choice was a bathroom. While that worked, I held off trying the bathroom third because I felt I was at risk of a "parallel universe" because I did the 'magic' of the bathroom doors opening and closing in the first model.

2. When all else failed, I went inside the women's bathroom to see if I could find an old scan to connect a new scan. It still took me three tries: all the way into the stall. Very little had moved and the lighting was the same.

3. I ended up spending 4.25 hours in the space for what would have seamed like an easy patch. I recall that's about the same amount of time that it took to do the original model.

4. A big challenge was not being able to successfully get a "start" AND "end" scan to close the loop. (See @alsx3D explanation above.) I could only get the "start" scan (connecting a new scan to the old scan). (As a result, I rescanned the entire space, except for all offices that were not leased and locked.)

5. About half that time was spent on redoing existing public spaces because I was concerned about "parallel universe" within the mesh because I was not able to find an "end" scan.

6. With new scans, I replaced the:

To Get The New Reception Desk

-- lobby
-- the waiting area to the side of the lobby
-- meeting space to the side of the lobby

To Get The Space That Was Stacked with Stuff

this space
the space that looks into this space (open seating area out side of the bathrooms)

Other Spaces Replaced To Avoid Potential "parallel universe"

-- kitchen
-- meeting room next to the kitchen
-- member's lounge (see door to parking lot)
-- a lot of hallway (loop from the women's room to the reception area through the conference room and then the hallway back to the open seating area

7. When I did the first capture, nearly all the offices were empty and open. When I did the capture today (12 July 2015), all the offices have been leased and locked. So, reshooting the entire space was not an option. (I could reshoot everything; except ALL the now leased and locked offices.)

8. Just in case I need to rely only on the new scans, I captured all the hallways (though I did not end up using the new scans for the two long hallways.)

9. Surprisingly, when I looked at the new processed model, I only had one issue: two scans that once I stepped "there" I could not step anywhere else. These were new scans. The good news is that I was able to disable these two scans without affecting the 'walk around' experience.

10. When I do post the "Before" and "After" together, you'll notice that I deactivated all the scans in the bathroom. Only one scan will show the bathroom doors slighting open.

11. I shot the bathrooms to make the floor plan and dollhouse views look great. BUT, I really don't want you to 'walk around' the bathrooms. (Try clicking on the bathrooms in the dollhouse and floor plan views and you'll see that you end up nearby. (This is a personal preference.)

Ideally, get the space staged perfectly so that you do not need to go back. Our client wanted it shot to help lease out offices, even though the reception desk was not installed and a mountain of "stuff" was moved into one work area. (All offices are now leased out.)

While I could have passed on re-shooting portions of the model, I treat every Matterport capture as art. And, I wasn't happy with the the mountain of "stuff" and the missing receptionist desk, so I offered to come back ...

We bought our first Matterport camera in July 2014, so I've had about a year of experience and have been rather prolific shooting (and pushing the capabilities of the Matterport tech when I can.) So, even someone with a ton of experience had a very, very HARD had time replacing two rooms (that turned into even more replacement of spaces).

The "patch" of two spaces actually too longer than capturing the original model!

Thanks again for your participation in this brain teaser.

And, special thanks for @alsx3D for thinking through and writing out the EXACT, perfect process to follow, when possible, to "patch" a space.

Like I said, it's hard work to make it look so easy.

Dan

"Before"

"After"
Post 33 IP   flag post
JulianHowardCT private msg quote post Address this user
I had real problems coming back on a later day to replace scans. I ended up getting a scan to work in a hallway that was lit about the same as the first scan. Once you get that one scan going, things start to happen, but yeh... yours is on another level altogether. Thanks for the info, Dan. And well done!
Post 34 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JulianHowardCT

Glad it worked out for you. Yes. It's harder than it looks to get connect to a previous scan.

In our "wish list" for the Capture app, we've asked to be able to tell the app which scan we're trying to attach too. (That's how it previously worked.)

And, thanks for your nice note.

Dan
Post 35 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Moving to the top in light of pool discussions.
Post 36 IP   flag post
101436 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?