Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport Acquires UK->Virtual Walkthrough2186

Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@PieroBortolot - I guess they weren´t too amused by the fact that I wasn´t honored to be selected for their Matterport Gallery. This was in early July and I haven´t heard back, which seems to be the ongoing trend from them. Their response rate is crap as long as it´s not in their favour to do so. At least from what I can gather from people that have tried contacting support etc.

I´m not going to throw more fuel on the fire though, I think MP does a lot of great work, but I do also believe that they should refine their business model in order to create loyalty from the service providers.
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport sent this email to its customers today (Tuesday, 19 July 2016).

------

Dear Matterport Customer -

We wanted to share some recent news about an acquisition in the UK. Matterport has just completed the purchase of Virtual Walkthrough, a UK-based technology company focused on creating virtual tours for residential & commercial real estate and travel & hospitality.

We announced our entry into the UK market a few months ago, and a local presence helps us to better serve our UK and European prospects and customers. The Virtual Walkthrough team has significant experience in the “proptech” market (as they refer to it in the UK), enabling us to deliver enhanced levels of support for both existing and new customers in the region. These are top requests we've heard from our clients in the EMEA region, and we're thrilled to be able to respond to these in this way.

Virtual Walkthrough will continue to support their existing service offerings for current customers short-term, and begin transitioning to the local sale and in-market support of Matterport cameras and cloud services. By creating local market opportunities for both estate and letting agencies and independent Matterport Service Partners (MSPs) -- real estate photographers, floor plan providers and other property marketing service providers -- Virtual Walkthrough will make it more efficient for property agents to create their own Matterport 3D and VR Showcases and/or elect to be serviced by their preferred MSP vendors on a for-hire basis.

Matterport also intends to invest locally to increase awareness and adoption of the Matterport Pro Camera and Cloud Services across property portals, agents, and consumers, which we expect will increase demand for our Matterport Service Partners.

We are very excited about this new addition to the Matterport family and bringing more awareness to the European community.

If you have any questions, please contact us at our Support site.

Thanks!

The Matterport Team
Copyright © 2016 Matterport Inc., All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email as a Matterport customer.

Our mailing address is:
Matterport Inc.
352 East Java Drive
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Post 27 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
So, do you think it would be MP that normalizes the cost of getting a scan done as it would be booked through them and they in turn hire a MSP?

Maybe not as I assume they just refer the work on in the current MSP way... anyone that has got a MSP referral comment on the process they got the work from MP?

I don't really see MSP's in the loop here as the property sellers would be getting in touch with the agencies for sure and they would not move on to a MSP if the agency has it in house or have someone that does it. So probably would be the same kind of work flow of being referred from the agency and not MP. (just thoughts out loud)

Gotta be good though for getting the tech awareness out there though and making it become a norm for advertising
Post 28 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@suncoastskyview - You know ... if they really are offering price breaks on the equipment to Realtors, that's a little bit insulting. Now, I've certainly made my money back on my camera and I've enjoyed the high price of the Matterport 3D camera being a barrier to entering into the industry... so I cannot say that I feel that I want compensation ... just the fact that I've had my camera for a year and loved providing Matterport services for that time is enough compensation to a new deal that they may have struck.

Do you know anything more about these 'deals'? Is it a bulk deal that the broker is getting when ordering multiple cameras? I cannot imagine that Apartments.com and RedFin.com weren't offered deals as that's basic business.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
Well, it´s good to know that they´re reading the forum

The newsmail does not change anything though, but I do agree to some extent that it will help with opening up the market.

If they offered a complete whitelabel self hosted solution with access to manipulating the content, access to 360´s and build our own front end interfaces (making tech-dev available to the users). Then... Then I would be perfectly fine with eveything. It would make the relationship like any other equipment provider.

I really don´t have any problems with Canon selling cameras to whoever they want. BUT - if Canon slapped a logo on eveything I do and made it mandatory to host my images on their server, I´d probably look for an alternative. (Cue Canon Nikon debate )
Post 30 IP   flag post

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
The way I see this is that corporations have to make money and respond to investors. As the market evolves, they have to make hard decisions of what is in their best interest, which is not necessarily aligned with ours.

As I walked into the purchase of my camera a year ago, I didn't know that MP would have opened up so many opportunities for me to experience new places and meet awesome people (like you guys).

Financially speaking, it took me a while to pay off the camera, and it became fairly apparent soon that a MP only business was not sustainable in the long term. So I've been enjoying the early adoption advantage, but as time goes by, it's clear that I need to add more extra value to my scans to differentiate myself, which come in the form of different add-on services, relationships, high availability, etc.

It's unfortunate that MP hasn't been able to leverage the MSP network to a mutual financial benefit, and this thread wouldn't exist if somebody in their sales / marketing dept. would have taken the risk and the time to explore new ways to build upon this platform.

That said, as they are probably running as fast as they can to beat the next emerging competitor, there is no time for sales experimentation. And to meet quotas, and show growth to impatient investors, you take the fastest route, which is different than what us, MPS emotionally involved and in love for this business, wished for.
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tosolini

Well said.

Seems like if Matterport has thousands of Matterport Service Providers worldwide - 1,662 MUG Members in 67 countries - Matterport could/should provide an incentive for selling Cameras.

Many of us have worked hard to set up meetings to offer our services only to have the potential client buy a Camera.

Seems like there is a win-win-win opportunity.

For example, instead of using the $600 off offer, that could have been rolled out as $500 to the Pro and $100 to the person that buys the Camera.

The most knowledge sales force are working professionals. Potential clients could get an awesome demo and we're happy if we get service business or help sell a camera (and then offer training, support, peak load management, fill in for team members that leave, etc.)

I could imagine that Matterport investors want short-term sales over long term business strategy.

Frankly, a $600 discount seems out-of-character for Matterport. As far as I know, the only discounting that they have previously done has been a month free hosting.

As shared in a related thread, the discussion about a two-year old camera has us speculating if Matterport is about to introduce a new and improved Camera.

With Inman Connect next week (2-5 August 2016), I could imagine that we will hear an announcement from the stage when Matterport CEO Bill Brown takes the stage for the session: The Latest with VR, 360, and Video

Stay tuned for my reporting for the MUG Forum community from Inman Connect.

Dan
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
All,

Other thoughts?

Dan
Post 33 IP   flag post
101641 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?