Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Multiple FloorsStrategyTips

Must begin on lowest level?1985

BayAreaAdam private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I am relatively new at this and have been operating under the premise that I should begin my scans on the lowest level of a house and work my way up.

Is this correct? Is there some reason I can't start on one floor and then descend stairs to a lower level?

I appreciate your time!
Post 1 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Adam,

You can start pretty much any floor you want, and go any way you want (up or down), once you know what you are doing. On the first scans, I recommand going either all the way down, to all the way up (or vice-versa).
This am, we started on the main floor, went up to the 2nd floor, and finished in the basement... it worked perfectly.

Just remember that the stairs going UP are part of the floor where these stairs started. So Basement+stairs going up to main floor (up until the very last step) is on the basement floor...etc.

Hope this helps.
Matt
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it particularly matters where you make the floor to floor marking transition. i've done them at various spots. I do know, however, (I think this is technically correct), that you need to make the first scan of a new floor directly after making the last scan on the existing floor as opposed to coming back to a spot and starting the first scan adjacent to an older scan. Interestingly, when I did my lighthouse, i made a new floor for each revolution of the stairs, 10 in all. The MP model came back as 4 levels!
Post 3 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright I don't really think it makes a difference (but I might be newer than you with the technology - only about 60 scans so far...).
What we've been doing lately with stairs, is keep the very first scan of the next floor (up or down) within the current floor, and once it aligns correctly, we move this scan to the new floor (up or down).
It might not make a difference, and might just be a bad coincidence, but before we started using this method, we ran several times into problems of the first scan of a new floor unable to align. Now it runs very smoothly everytime.

Matt
Post 4 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't matter where you mark the new floor as long as it's close enought to align to the previous scan.
The capture app is designed to help us in capturing multiple floors, but does not have a significant impact on whether that's the 1st floor, second floor or third floor.

You could scan a 3 story house labeled as floor 1, and it would produce a 3 story model with separate floors.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
I always start at the front door. It really doesn't matter where you start, though. Starting at the front door somewhat satisfies my OCD tendencies ... lol!
Post 6 IP   flag post
BillRobinson private msg quote post Address this user
You can start anywhere within the house you prefer. Often I have to scan with a still photographer present so I'll start on the floor/room that allows me the earliest start and the less interruption.

I prefer to start in a 'natural' position (like the front door that Glenda prefers) that allows me to flow the subsequent scans. Archimes is correct in relation to stairs. I prefer to link the stairs going up and down to the a main connecting floor. Just personal preference. However it is important to do it consistently with each scan so it becomes part of scanning ritual.

I like to do an 'overlap' transition scan that incorporates the top of the landing area and the first 2 steps in the 'first' floor. I'm pretty sure it isn't necessary, but I look at it as insurance and probably old habits. Carlos is also correct. I think the key is consistency, because if you run into problems, it's easier to problem solve.

Usually I scan the entire interior prior to scanning any exterior. The last few months I've scanned part of the interior, and then exterior (due to sun position concerns) and finished with the rest of the interior and it aligned fine. The key is to establish your interior wall first, and then as you go outside, look at every exterior scan for alignment issues. Recently I scanned the interior wall shared to the exterior I also wanted to scan. I scanned only part of the lower floor interior, then out the lower door, and up the exterior steps. I then scanned the balance of the 2nd floor. At the end I connected the interior stairway and all stitched well.

My only concern was having to come back and fix it if it didn't work.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=WrpbDfzvn1i
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm doing a 3 level home and there are others around (photographers/Videography etc) to save getting in each others way, I like starting on the main floor and scanning up and down the stairs a little. This way I have the options to work on any of the 3 levels and jump between them. It's saved me from waiting on people quite a few times
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment here.

To make sure I have this straight, if I start a project at the front door, do that entire floor (Floor 1) then start heading down a flight of stairs, the first scan on the stairs would be the first scan of my Floor 2...

Also, and this may be better in its own thread, but if you are going to scan a room with a sliding door that opens onto a deck that you would also like to capture, if you leave the slider open, do you mark that spot as a window? or just the part of the slider that is actually closed?

Thanks again!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
If you're going to scan what's on the other side of the door, DON'T mark it. Marking a window/door tells the processing algorithm to ignore what's on the other side.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Gotcha, thank you @Glenda
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedStudio
@HarlanHambright I don't really think it makes a difference (but I might be newer than you with the technology - only about 60 scans so far...).
What we've been doing lately with stairs, is keep the very first scan of the next floor (up or down) within the current floor, and once it aligns correctly, we move this scan to the new floor (up or down).
It might not make a difference, and might just be a bad coincidence, but before we started using this method, we ran several times into problems of the first scan of a new floor unable to align. Now it runs very smoothly everytime.

Matt

@HarlanHambright How do you "move this scan to the new floor"? I'm not sure I understand that. Thanks!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
We just did a 7,200sf multiple level home with casita. There were actually 6 levels but we didn't want 6 floors in finished model so we created 3 floors during the shoot with each floor showing 2 levels. We placed the casita on the second level even though it was much lower and felt it displayed better. Split level homes like this you really have to visualize how best to assign levels to floors. And helps to discuss with clients prior as well.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=CANzBZzvLnw
Post 13 IP   flag post
@BayAreaAdam Go to Edit Scans, select a scan and the Move to Floor button appears active, just under the Delete button. Have used this many times, especially when I just forgot to add a floor. Age related probably.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Wow, I did not even know that was there. Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I was wrong about aligning the first scan of a new level. You can start next to an existing one.
Post 16 IP   flag post
sstarkey private msg quote post Address this user
@Bill,very impressive model by the way. One question I have is why don't you outdoor scans show up in the dollhouse view? you can move around and go between the house and casita and also down by the pool but done of the walkway is in the dollhouse view. I guess I'm confused why its not shown.
Post 17 IP   flag post
101628 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?