Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LightingOutdoorsScanningScans

Windows Viewed from two sides1961

DigitalImageries private msg quote post Address this user
What is the best way to mark windows that are viewed both from inside and outside? I've tried marking (window) on one side, both sides and not at all and for various reasons, unhappy with all.
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
i do not mark the outside as the 3D data seen thru is valid. Sometime I mark them as mirrors if there's a reflection issue.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DigitalImageries private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for your comments
Post 3 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, just mark the site as inside that is most likely the side of the window that is most looked tru. The amrkings just easup the alihning process if there is a problem. I had more then ones forgot to mark a window in a scan. This had no effect inthe end result. The problem with that i think is that the way MP processes the scans may vary. On the other hand i had scans with marked windows that caused a problem with allignment.

Happy scanning,
grtz Rene
Post 4 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
Today I had a problem with sliding glass doors to a balcony. The center door slides open and was left open throughout the shoot, as far I know. I marked the windows on either side.

I was able to get a scan while straddling the scanner across the threshold. but I was unsuccessful getting any scans on the covered balcony, even when I placed the next scan within a couple of feet of the previous successful scan. I unmarked both windows, but that didn't help.' I continued to get alignment error messages, which hasn't happened before.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Lowell private msg quote post Address this user
@Mikesobay try scanning a few inches at a time instead of feet if you're having alignment issues outdoors.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @Lowell I will try that. I had given it a few tries about a foot or two from the last position. But will try inches should I run into this alignment problem again.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
There are a number of reasons to mark windows that are apparent in the final product.

1) If you mark the window, in the dollhouse view, the image on the window will be fixed. It will not change as though you are able to look through the window into the yard or patio space. This would be the desired effect if there are no scans on the opposite side of the window. If the window was not marked, often times they will appear as black holes in the dollhouse view, even though you are able to see the geometric images behind the window. For an unmarked window, the image framed in the window will change as you "look through" the window at various angles (rotating the dollhouse)

2) Marking a window will also prevent the movement "through" the window while navigating in the first person view. This is usually the desired effect if the glass surface is a true window, but not if it sliding glass door or door to a shower.

3) It also helps during the alignment process as it tells the software that the image that is "framed" behind a window will change depending where the camera is placed in front of the window. For instance, if the camera is placed directly to the right of a window, it would not see any objects that are directly on the opposite side of the wall. However, if the camera is moved to the left side of the window, the objects that were previously obstructed by the wall are now visible. By marking the window, it helps by telling the software why this new geometry is now visible.

I hope this makes some sense/helps.

Thanks,
Jon
Post 8 IP   flag post
101429 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?