Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

Matterport VR Conversion for $800 Alex?1945

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I chatted with a Member of the MUG Forum earlier today (4 June 2016) whom let me know that Matterport quoted $800 - instead of $500 - to convert the MUG Member's 7,000 sf model that also included OUTDOOR scans.

Just wondering if anyone else has been quoted more than $500?

Without knowing a fixed amount upfront, that makes it harder to quote clients VR conversions on projects that we have not already scanned.

Thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Only $500, which they acknowledged is much too high.
Post 2 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
$850 here... for an 8,000sq.ft. showroom. And yes, it was a pain announcing the bad news to this client...
On the good side though, they were not even sure they would be able to do it, so it's all good in the end.

Matt
Post 3 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Last I checked they wouldn't even convert a space that large. Makes sense that it would cost more for a much larger size.

Craig
Post 4 IP   flag post
achabot private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like I have a lot to learn... I thought it was already VR compatible without having to pay for a conversion.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@achabot

The Matterport Platform is an end-to-end solution for creating viewing and sharing 3D and VR models. Yes. There is a conversion fee for 3D to VR.

MUG Forum topics tagged VR and Virtual Reality.

Or, use the MUG Forum search box - powered by Google.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting
I actually had a demo of a walking vr matterport model yesterday. It wasn't perfect but still very impressive. You could walk around the whole thing, and crouch as well
Post 7 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
@jamie do you think it was done with the obj file independent of MP or was the processing done by them too you think?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yep it was the obj with some 3ds work done. Independent to MP as you could walk through it, not just transport from place to place looking at blue dots
Post 9 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi we are working on VR conversions at this moment. maybe i could surprise you with the outcom and offer a better and quicker deal then MP. I hope its going to work out. More of this in the comming days.

Grtz Rene.
Post 10 IP   flag post
TuanDinh private msg quote post Address this user
As you can see in the 20s of this video, we can use Obj to make VR app for use with headset but quality not impresses. Do you have any idea to make it better @360Verbeelding?

Post 11 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@tuandinh

before deciding on matterport, i was looking at alternatives...InsideMaps being one of them.

that time (back in Dec 2015), InsideMaps (which is based on photogramertry) claimed they could create 3d models that are clean.

I come from a 3d industry. clean (meaning neat logical geometry, like what u see in 3d modelling programs) 3d from scans are to my knowledge, are quite impossible to achieve with todays tech.

Thats why you see your OBJ model as 'lumpy'. With higher res scans you can get 'less lumpy' (like dense 3d photogrammetry models..made of millions of small triangles, but still not clean logical 3d, which is what you need). But InsideMaps showed a model which I thought could only exist in todays world if a human brain actually modelled it. (ie, neat and logical geometry).

If insidemaps really have such an algorithm (which when i wrote to the founder, they did say so), then i think he is sitting on a goldmine and that algorithm is more valuable than his virtual tour solution.
Post 12 IP   flag post
ny360east private msg quote post Address this user
I was quoted $1700 for my model!. They said it was because there was alot of outdoor space. we decided to not do VR for outdoor and price went down to like $600.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Just heard from a guy about this JanusVR walkthrough made with a OBJ file I posted here a while back:

https://vimeo.com/169307890

Interesting that others are interested in playing with these files.

In a previous thread about OBJ files, I wondered if anyone had ever over-scanned a small space to see if the OBJ file comes out cleaner. I'm tempted to just do one room of my house with about 100 scan locations and submit it for processsing and then compare the obj that comes out with an obj with just 5 or so scans.

Craig
Post 14 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
New to VR, starting to get a few requests and can't find the link in the search tab. Is Matterport VR compatible with both Android and Apple phones? Also has anyone found a company that does a conversion with a quality product less than the price of Matterport? Thank you for any help.

Ron
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

Matterport VR presently is Samsung Gear only. Matterport has not
Announced Apple iOS support.

Many MUG Forum posts for MP2VR. Here's one ...
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/2004/matterport-spaces-google-cardboard-7425/

This Matterport Spaces to VR conversion service by long-time MUG Forum Member @GarySynder.

MP2VR conversion for Gear VR and Google Cardboard (Android) with iOS for Google Cardboard announced as coming soon.

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info, Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
101429 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?