Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseOutdoorsScanning

Scanning a home with detached area190

WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry if this has been answered previously, looked everywhere and couldn't find a similar post.

Has anyone scanned a property that had a detached area, like a carriage house or game room? Is the only way to keep this as 1 scan to proceed outside and scan towards the location as if it was just a hallway? Or is there an option of scanning the home, and picking up the scan inside the 2nd area? Im guessing picking up in a new area the scans will not work since it has no base point to resume?

Thanks...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
Correct, you will need to join them with scans and if not possible, do a second model for the detached area.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
I figured. Something to add to the wish list...Maybe adding a detached building button to go along with new floor on the app.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Eric...

I ran into this same issue recently and while (at least in my case) I could have connected the Main home to the detached garage....but that second structure had a second level as well. I scratched my head a bunch and finally decided to go with two models.

If I'd had more time, it might have been interesting to see if I could have:

1) Scanned the entire Main home as two levels.
2) Switched back to the first level and connected scans into the 2nd structure.
3) Continued scanning the entire separate structure as just one level (like in the "old" days with the first few versions of the capture app) and then manually moving the scans to the 2nd level, after the fact.

Does this idea make sense? Anyone tried something similar?

Thx...Ross
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
I see what you are saying...In theory your idea sounds plausible. Double whammy..A detached area, and 2 floors. I think we are giving them plenty of ideas to work on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
Im trying to get ahead of the curve as a B&B wants to have a model done but they have a main structure and then 2 separate carriage/studios as well. Was hoping to tie it altogether as 1 scan showing the whole property....That would be 1 cool dollhouse view if it worked.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Could always go back and tie them together @ dusk...we have done this before with success.
Post 7 IP   flag post
How far apart are they?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
The main structure sits in the middle, the 2 other cottages flank out on each side. All three are connected by a half moon walkway. I don't know the exact distance between them all but I think its feasible to connect at dusk as you are saying. Probably 4-5 scans maybe in each direction?
Post 9 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
I've run into a tangentially related situation. I scanned a house that had a contiguous first floor and two completely unconnected areas on a floor above. I called support and Bob Horn advised that since the two areas didn't connect, they should have different floor names. So if you are able to scan from one building to the other, the second level of the detached building would have to have a different floor name.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
So by generating a 2nd floor name you do not have to have a starting point scan that it has to identify? If I skip the walkway and treat it as a different floor I may be able to start there from scratch? So i could make one studio floor 3, and the other 4?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't understand how that solution would look any good, there is no multi-level buildings in this equation is there?...I would attempt to scan to the detached buildings during the day...if you manage to build "something" in between you could re-build the connections at dusk for a better model. Or just leave a door open from the main building and capture the connecting buildings at dusk, providing you can get it done in time. Check out www.ticketyview.com/commercial to see an outdoor area captured at dusk or www.ticketyview.com/bayroad to see a detached area we scanned to during the day (we didn't go back at dusk to fill the black spots)
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
Main structure 2 floors, detached areas 1 floor studios each.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Cool.
Post 14 IP   flag post
dfellars private msg quote post Address this user
I have successfully scanned a detached garage that was was ~20ft from the main structure. The camera can work outdoors and in the right environment. Two factors I found that lead to success are:

1: outdoor objects near the sweep point for the software to use as a reference point.

2: indirect sunlight or overcast conditions. I ran a model today and attempted to reach the detached garage, however it was a bright, cloudless day with lots of snow on the ground and the light overloaded the camera sensors and it could not "see."

Dan Fellars
ScanDimensions.com
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
10 Tips for Outdoor Capture with the Matterport Pro 3D Camera
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@EricThomas

I added your wish to the Capture app "wish list" thread. 😎

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
101423 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?