Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Scans

Camera Placement for Sweeps18

CharlieB private msg quote post Address this user
I want to ask you a question about camera placement. Seems to me that it would be prudent to do sweeps from locations that you want to be able to view from…since you can only jump from sweep location to sweep location. So guess it is just planning ahead as you are doing your sweeps…so that viewers can see from strategic locations.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
More Sweeps Please – The more sweeps, the more places to help people make decisions about a space. For a meeting planner project, 100 sweeps in a banquet space may be very helpful, even if you could capture the space in 25 sweeps. While it takes four times as long to capture 100 sweeps instead of 25, the resulting viewing experience is far better.

Capture sweeps on a path that the intended audience would like to view the space.

For more of my best practices about Matterport Pro 3D Camera placement, please click here.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dan,

Great info. Thanks so much for sharing. I do have another question about height of the camera. Have you found that you need to lower or raise the camera for certain locations for best results?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks, Charlie ...

I capture all sweeps at eye-level; including on the stairs and a podium.

Did you have an example of why you would want to NOT shoot at eye level?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had heard that in situations where you might have a really high ceiling, over 30' I think it was...so just wondering what you would do in that situation. Plus I just hadn't seen any notations about what height to position the camera at....must have just overlooked that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Charlie,

Best Practice: position the camera at eye-level, even for a really high ceiling.

Enable the viewer to experience the space, just as if s/he is taking a tour in person.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
When transitioning between rooms, doing a scan right in the doorway seems to work best. It's good to scan anywhere the viewer may want to go, like Dan mentioned the more scans the better. It's not worth having to go back and reshoot because you missed a good angle
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks DoyleRealtor...sounds like good advice. I will try the doorway sweeps.

And Dan, I see what you mean by the users perspective....when taking the sweeps. Thanks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Today I asked Scott with support a question....I asked if there was a particular direction that the camera needed to be placed at each new location.....such as would it need to be placed facing the previous location in order to sync with the that scan and the answer was no. You might have already known that but this was the answer to my question and it helped me understand better. Hope this helps...

Charlie
Post 9 IP   flag post
Vincentlublink private msg quote post Address this user
small question,

if you buy the camera and pay, let's say for the matter port cloud service.

The basic 49 dollar you get 100 models and three for free per month

question is: do you still pay 19 dollar per scan? or is it included in the monthly price. 100 scans plus 3 for 49 dollar?

sorry it's not really clear for me

Vincent Lublink
Post 10 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
CharlieB, it doesn't matter which way the camera is pointed for any particular location, except for the initial sweep. If your camera is oriented parallel to the wall, your scan will show up oriented square to your iPad display. This isn't critical, but it does make it easier to insert your trim boundaries. If your scan is angled at 45 degrees, for instance, it can be hard to get your trim boundaries to extend a little bit beyond the edge of the wall, which is what I like to do when I mark them.

Vincent, you pay your $49 and they will store up to 100 models for you. And you get 3 scans per month that they don't charge the $19 processing fee. If you upload a 4th scan in a month, that's when they start charging the $19 processing fee.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Vincentlublink private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you John Becker.

Ok i am out.

there are to much downsides on this system.

- logo in every tour ( my god Matterport thake out the logo)
- low res foto's
- very low res 3d model (.obj )
- a lot of money for only the hosting and still pay 19 dollar per scan!!!!!!
- you can not buy the camera the normal way outside the US, wy??????????
And when you buy it and there is someting wrong with the camera?, what then?, when you are in the EU????
send it back and wait weeks to get it back?
etc…………..

sorry i am not buying it, it looked very nice bud this system is not ready, jet!

greating,

Vincent Lublink
Post 12 IP   flag post
101436 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?