Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseReal EstateScans

Super Size Properties1690

leeverdon private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all.

Loving the forum, keep up the good work!

I may have a potential client who has a residential property that is 25,000 sq.ft. Yep, you heard it right.

I have the latest camera (bought it 6 weeks ago) and the new iPad Pro 9.7 inch so I'm wondering if I have the tools to manage this project.

I know this topic was covered 10 months but Matterport and its technology has evolved quite considerably since then.

Any thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I will follow this thread with interest as I was asked to do a 35,000sq.ft. scan the other day. It took 2 hours just to walk around the property... crazy.
I wrote to Matterport support directly to get their thought on how to deal with this... still waiting for them to reply(as often these days).

Good luck on this one, it will be challenging to say the least

Matt
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Matt,

I'm having the same issue with Matterport support these days. I have left several voice messages and sent numerous e-mails but to no avail. Perhaps they're growing too fast and can't keep up with demand. I've seen this time and time again in the technology world.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Cheers.
Lee
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Related Matterport User Group Forum threads ....

Got an Okay on a 7,000 sf Mansion: Now What?

Why I shot 300 Scans for this Model + Risks

Large Commercial/Industrial Scans > 2000sqm

Need Examples of Large Commercial Real Estate

Biggest Ever Scans

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan. Although, 7,000sq.ft. and 25K/35K sq.ft. are on different another-level levels!
To be honest, walking this property, I think it will be hard to keep it under 200 scans PER FLOOR! (times 3 floors)...
The project is on hold for now on my side (which is actually a good think considering the technical difficutlies I am sure I will face)...

Matt
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jmoore private msg quote post Address this user
As well, I'm looking forward to this thread and learning more about camera capabilities & limitations and this forum's real experiences in terms of scanning larger then normal spaces i.e.ceiling height, room size,etc.

With goal of trying to define and specialize in sports applications i e. scanning sports arenas for universities, I'm trying to better determine camera capabilities.

Thanks.

Jim
Post 6 IP   flag post
Just thinking more about this topic.

There really shouldn't be any restrictions or limitations with this technology. When one purchases a DSLR or a professional camera i.e. Red, Alexa, Sony etc they don't come with any obstacles other than limited storage capabilities which are in the form of some sort of hard drive or SD card. This is a cloud based subscription, no hard drives required.

Also, when I pull a video file (100 hrs at a time) into my editing suite it doesn't have any restrictions. The Matterport App should perform the same without any issues.

Let the debate continue...
Post 7 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Leeverdon

You're talking apples to oranges here, the MP camera is taking tens of thousands of reference points for it mesh every time it does a sweep which no one is aware of. The background technology of the MP camera has no comparison to a static snap on a DSLR or a video shot on Red or any other digital camera. With both of these technologies “what you see is what you capture”. You can hardly say that with MP as there is a tremendous amount of processing going on in the camera and the iPad to do the primary orientation of the capture.

Many of us have captures well over 200 scans but the issue is the loading of the SC which can take longer the one would like if you exceed this recommended number. Often we shoot many more scans an then in post edit them down as we wanted to make sure we captures to look and feel of the location.
Post 8 IP   flag post
ny360east private msg quote post Address this user
I just published 170 scan job and it loads with no issues. I published it so i can decide which scans i will delete to try and get it down to 100. is this the right way to do it? Without publishing it, its impossible to decide which are the best scans that you dont mind deleting.
Post 9 IP   flag post
That is the right way to do it. I would always suggest duplicating the model before you start to delete the scans as you have a your original to fall back on and reduplicate if needed. On one job I ran into trouble with a very difficult multi-storey glass stairway and I had to upload the job 6 times before I solved the problem. Once the SC was correct I deleted the other SC's from my My-Matterport account. This take time but it’s the safe and correct way to get the SC perfect.
Post 10 IP   flag post
thanks @gary. how do i duplicate the model? what is SC?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Open the MP capture app and in the top right hand corner of the screen you will see the word edit. Click on that and it will give you the option to duplicate a model or you can delete a model as well.

SC stands for MP Showcase which is what everyone uses to view the virtual tours VT's you produce.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks! Would you mind taking a look at this before i deliver to the client? its a mess. i still need to trim, and delete a bunch of scans. most areas have both day and evening views. I am deciding which i like better. Need to also return to the property tomorrow to scan the rooftop, up the spiral staircase on balcony. the exterior came out better than anticipated.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=t99Wn25SRvq
Post 13 IP   flag post
This is a tough one as you already know you have way to many scans. I’m sure that this was partially down to alignment issues when you were shooting in the daylight and then in the night. Sunlight can play a real problem with scans bleeding into other rooms or opening up holes in the floor or walls. You have this issue in a closet in one of the bedrooms as you can see the scan points through the wall.

You also have the issue with the closed glass door but can see the scan points outside which you can click on and presto it's not night time. I would ask the client do they want to present the house in the evening or in the day. If they pick evening you have all of these great exterior shots you can use. I would duplicate the model once the client has decided and eliminate all of the window shots that either show daylight or night and then pickup shooting from there.

On other option is to offer the client two versions of the SC one in the day and the other in the night which the customer my like. This will give you two models for you to showcase to you future clients. Make sure that you tell any future clients that a daytime and night time SC are an extra cost.

I hope this has been helpful.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks! Yeh. this is a tough one. the sun sets right in the backyard. There is only like 40 mins of "prime-time" scanning. So, i shot the whole house during the day and then st sundown started to scan all of the exterior and then scans with exterior view. I am pretty sure i am going to go with the evening version. So, when you go near the doors it will get dark out. nothing i can really do about that. Great idea on creating 2 models though... thanks. How would you trim? On the second floor, you can see the exterior walls in the dollhouse view. Nothing i can do about that, since i am also shooting outside? If i trim along the wall, then i will eliminate the exterior walkways and pool from the dollhouse feature. where would you trim?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Don't worry about triming the customer will be wow with the VT and they won't even think about how the dollhouse looks. Make sure you go back and shoot that one exterior door with it being open with a night view so you can walk outside.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out as you've done a great job.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks @garysnyder. Appreciate it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
101436 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?