Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

Seattle VR Hackathon debrief1676

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
This weekend I attended a VR Hackathon in Seattle with 120+ people. Hackathons are events where attendees meet up and form small teams on the spot to work for 48h on themed projects.

I was suggested to 3D scan the location and put the OBJ file available for hacking. So I did.

Virtual tour of the Hackathon space

OBJ file of the Hackathon space

One of the teams picked up my model and tried to build a Google Cardboard experience around it, but they had to give up as phones have poor performance in handling Matterport models imported into the popular Unity game engine. This might be one of the reasons why we haven't seen a Cardboard Showcase yet.

We did some experiments with 360 photo spheres and we used a Ricoh Theta camera with a service called https://seekbeak.com/. This platform allows you very quickly to import 360 photos and add hostpots right from your phone. And it supports Cardboard. You can easily create virtual tours from your device, no PC needed.

Here is our prototype featuring a simulated training on mosquito borne disease using SeekPeak, sounds, image hotspots.

Finally, our 360 group photo.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Great info, thanks so much for sharing!
Post 2 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JBV private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBV

Here is your 3D model projected in an iOS app, thanks to have shared your model. I have an old iPhone4, I will try to have it working with google cardboard, with some shaders manipulation,

Cheers,
Julien
Post 4 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, thats very interesting. We are also trying to find a way to get something visible in VR. Not that easy but its fun trying. Nothing to show yet but working on it.

Happy scanning,

Grtz Rene.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Actually I experimented also VR with the Oculus Rift, with the same framework, moving in the scene using a gamepad.

Post 6 IP   flag post

Here is the version for iOS devices ;-)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice work @jbv! Would you mind sharing the process you went through to get to the iOS experience? Thanks!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hi,

I'm developing a framework based on OpenGL/OpenGL ES to demo and prototype for different purposes. It uses different open source librairies (SDL, Assimp ...) and is portable on almost all environments. I discovered Matterport cameras few month ago, and for me it was interesting for the 3D model, not the 360 image views, so I decided to see what we could do with 3D.

The process is simple, the framework has a description file where you put which 3D model and which display you want, VR , standard, and which device interaction you have, HMD orientation, gamepad etc ...

This is just a hobby for me, as I know that there are already integrated tools like Unity etc. It remembers me how to code the old way with OpenGL, and I learn a lot on shaders & GPUs.

I'm thinking to put the framework open source, but it is not enough mature for the moment.

Cheers,
Julien
Post 9 IP   flag post
DanielDI private msg quote post Address this user
Great info, thanks for sharing this.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101435 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?