Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BuyCamerasHelp WantedMarketing

Tip: Just Starting out? Get the iPad Pro 9.71505

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Two photographers -- that are close to pulling the trigger to buy Matterport Cameras –- reached out to me this week to ask about "which iPad" and "which We Get Around Referral Network Plan" ...

I shared with both photographers that once the iPad Pro 9.7-inch iPad Pro is available (31 March 2016), I will update our Matterport Essential Shopping List-17 items to include the 256 GB version with Wi-Fi + Cellular ($1,029 + tax) instead of the iPad Air 2 128 GB with Wi-Fi+ Cellular.

Three Reasons:

1. Faster chip means faster scanning of a space. When we switched to the iPad Air 2 from the iPad Air 1, we experienced a huge time savings. Based on the new iPad Pro chip specs, we will likely see time savings between the iPad Pro 9.7-inch and the same size iPad Air 2.

2. Until if/when Matterport provides a solution for back-up/archive, the 256 GB will delay this backup solution that I recommend. (Do not delete scans!!! (!!!)

3. Get the Cellular version even if you do not plan to use it. Keep your options open. For $10 monthly with Verizon, for example, I find it tremendously helpful to start the uploading process as soon as we finish scanning a space. We always end up re-trimming the space, so this typically gives me a chance to look at the 3D model before bedtime, make addition trim marketings and then wake-up to the second version. (Matterport does not charge for re-processing the same model.)

Since the photographers are just starting out, I recommended the We Get Around Essential Launch Marketing Tool Kit for Matterport Service Providers.

The include includes four marketing videos – customized with their contact info and logo - plus, I have curated solutions that a Pro needs to launch his or her business (either bundling as a package in one price or offering as optional extras). (Summary of Benefits) [Get The Kit]

So, when I revise our Matterport Camera and related gear and accessories shopping list, the investment to get started in Matterport is $8,500 (including the Tool Kit).

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
iGor private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan.
You say <Faster ship means faster scanning of a Savior>.
Does this mean that if you use the iPad Pro, the machine itself will Materport shoot faster than using the iPad Air 2?
Or the speed of capture is not uvilichit and increase processing model removed on the tablet?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@iGor

While the camera moves and captures at the same speed – independent of which iPad – the processing time on the iPad will faster.

This means you will know - faster - that the scan was successful (so you can moved the camera).

When we upgraded to the iPad Air 2 from the iPad 1, this made a huge difference in "how long" to scan a space (particularly a big space).

I imagine that using the iPad Pro 9.7 instead of an iPad Air 2 will also make a huge difference in time-savings.

If I did not answer your question, please ask me in a different way.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
I got the Ipad pro 9.7 256 GB earlier today. Came home and did a few test scans on my house. My average transfer it seems has significantly increased. From close to 10 - 15 seconds (sometimes longer) with the Ipad Air 1 to about 2 to 3 seconds with the new Pro 9.7. This should be a huge decrease in time spent on larger jobs. The alignment process hasn't seemed to improve though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

Thanks for sharing. That's a huge time savings.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Should the alignment process also happen faster or is that just wishful thinking?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

Yes. Matterport does low level stitching on the iPad: a drive run to make sure that individual scans "work" and that they can "attach" themselves to the next scan.

The high-level takes place in the Matterport cloud.

Please do let us know what you experience in the field ...

Thanks,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

For more about the stitching and processing of Matterport scans, please see this MUG Forum post ...

Video: How the Matterport Camera Magic Works

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
excelsior private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,
What about the ipad pro 12.9"?
I'm sure the 9.7 is more convenient to carry around and costs less. But the larger screen size could be easier to mark features. What do you think?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@loudlion

Get the 9.7 iPad Pro.

While the larger iPad Pro would be great for marketing features - and more importantly for demos - the large size will take a toll on you when you are scanning for hours.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WashingtonState360 private msg quote post Address this user

Thank you Dan! My wife and I drove over to the Seattle side of the Cascade Mountains to an Apple Store today to pick out a newer iPad (only have an ancient iPad 2 now).

Matt, the rep who helped us out, also suggested we NOT get the bigger iPad Pro, but rather recommended exactly the same Pro with full features as you had (above) for use with the Matterport camera and app (yes, he was somewhat familiar with MP).

He also suggested that if I wasn't greedy for the bigger screen, the 9.7 Pro was actually a more powerful machine.

It made it very easy to decide to confidently flow with the the model you AND Matt suggested.
Thanks again..
Post 11 IP   flag post
101429 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?