Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I just did a hotel room and i chose to keep all the lights on but it turned out now like crazy....whenever you walk to the lights, there's some very obvious rays.....any solutions!! Help!!!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=fxdSbmzYwwh
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Similar event (not as dramatic as yours) the response from Tim at MP Support

Tim T (Matterport Support)
Mar 14, 11:17 AM

Hi Lisa,

Fluorescent lights cause the grid on the walls with the carmine scanner/RGB. Basically, the frequency of the light is not synchronized with our exposures, so you'll see banding when looking directly at flickery light fixtures. It appears that certain LED lights are causing the problem. 
 If you have a dimmer to the light and dim the lights down to low, you usually can eliminate the problem by changing the frequency.

This phenomenon, though rare, can occur occasionally when florescent or LED based lighting is used. While we continue to work to improve performance under all lighting conditions, we do not currently have a front end resolution for this issue. In the mean time this can be worked around by duplicating the scan/model in your iPad and re-scanning the affected area under other lighting conditions. Or if they have a dimmer, dim the LEDs and re-scan. You could also try turning off the bulbs and bring in lamps. Or swap bulbs for incandescent. After re-scanning those areas and re-uploading the model (re-uploads are free), then hide or disable those bad scans (in Workshop) where the phenomenon is most pronounced.

4.) Hide unneeded scans in Workshop
Post 2 IP   flag post
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds frustrating but thanks Lisa for the prompt reply. I will see what I can do in the workshop. Thanks again!
Post 3 IP   flag post
vincent private msg quote post Address this user
You know what I think I have this figured out.
There was a gentleman that posted a similar result two or three weeks ago where he was attempting to utilize an LED spotlight.

I was looking at that example for a while and now this one
related to LEDs in particular this is what I think is going on.

I think this has to do with the prismatic refraction of the LED light. What I am thinking is that with most LED light fixtures there is a diffusion lens of some type meant to defeat individual hotspots of multiple diodes or soften the light. Placed above, in front of or around the LEDs actual, they have ridges or little diamonds that are actually like tiny prisms and you get angular diffraction of the light and I think the camera is sensitive to this.

The easy solution could be with a spot light for example to remove the lens that is in place.
With a bulb type LED lamp it might pay to have a box of alternative non LED bulbs with you just in case.
Post 4 IP   flag post
great idea @vincent!
Post 5 IP   flag post
vincent private msg quote post Address this user
Lisa let me know how it works.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same issue with a house. Nearly every room had LED lamps, but I had a problem only with a bathroom in which the LED was the primary of lighting. I think someone had planned to raise this with Matterport, but I haven't heard of their response, if any.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I didn't go back and reshoot the areas since the Realtor didn't mind it .. but I certainly will let you know for future projects. @vincent
Post 8 IP   flag post
101268 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?