Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D Showcase

Embed Scan Here That You Would Like Comments141

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I will start it off ...

So, how would you have done a better job capturing this 3,300 sf residence?

Plus, if you would like comments about a 3D Showcase you did, please embed in this thread. (How to embed a 3D Showcase in a Forum Thread)

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
grantmuller private msg quote post Address this user
Great scan! You got the right time of day and the view is highlighted nicely in the scan!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@grantmuller

Thanks Grant. I showed up before sunrise and left after dark. I shot based on where the outside light was best (beginning in the last bedroom).

I took a two-hour lunch break and then about a 3-hour break to simply wait for the sunset (stand close to the window in the living room to see these two scans) and the night-time scan from the kitchen counter.

It's such a beautiful residence that was perfectly staged. I wanted to do everything possible to help our client sell this $2.3 million home faster.

Our client loved it. They wrote a blog post about it and gave us a credit in the caption.

Anything you (others?) would have done differently?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Chris_invelopnow1 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, nice work. When I have been scanning I always try to think the best vantage point to view the room. I also try to remove points that are at the end of hallways or lead no where. Multiple scans left in the walk through in doorways I also see no real use for. I know scanning a door with 3 points is recommended but I usually remove the center one (when possible)to increase flow. If not the center one then one or both of the outside images. I am a commercial photographer by trade and pay extreme attention to detail and have overcome many obstacles in appearance of these scans, My own included.

Here is a scan recently done where I removed many scan points and had to challenge weird furniture arrangements to easily navigate through one room. The goal on the exterior was to scan to the detached Garage all in one scan. The sun came out to early and I could not get scans to register outside.

Here is the link: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=F1jqwxMpULe

Any thoughts on a neutral density filter to cut down bright sunlight? I have not tried it yet but may do so testing.

Chris
www.invelopnow.com
www.chrismalacarne.com
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chris_invelopnow1

Great point about unnecessary scans.

I love "Disable Scans" in Workshop Player Unity and should do more of that. I tend to over-shoot and "Disable Scans" (pruning) though in this model I probably left a few too many. I'll "Disable Scans" some more this week in this model.

Love the idea of testing the neutral density filter. Love to see your results. I have a red filter that I've been meaning to test to see if that would help with shooting outdoors (though another Forum member felt it would not work).

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice. Though we really do need to try to figure out a way to improve the way the outdoors looks through windows. That view is fantastic, but it appears so oversaturated in the 360s. The sunset shots are the best, but still aren't nearly as nice as I'm sure they were to your eye. I'd be interested to hear how the filters affect the appearance.

I wonder if we might be able to run some scans twice, once with a filter that made the view through the windows look good, and once normally, and if they could be combined (windows only replaced with windows from the filtered 360). We mark the windows in the software anyhow, so it might not be too difficult of a feature for Matteport to implement.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Here's mine. The big problem is the bedroom on the 2nd floor. It had a fantastic deck that I wanted to capture, but the sunlight was too bright (even though it was overcast) for the Matterport camera. As a result, the entire deck and a good chuck of the room don't have a floor in the model. I was able to get a number of scans, so it's not terrible in the walkthrough, but it is kind of choppy, which I figure is related to the weirdness of the model with no floor.

I offered to go back and rescan that room at dusk to get a better result, but haven't heard back yet (I just did the scan on Friday). The house is occupied, so I had a very limited time I could be in it.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Kracka60 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone

Well here's my first scan of a property here in Brisbane.

Had some trouble in the main bedroom due to mirrors facing each other and too much light from the sliding doors hence them and the window blinds being shut.

Other problem was the upstairs bathroom that seemed to add another room behind it. I have tried trimming it but its still present in the doll house and floorplan.

Anyway tips, comments and criticism very welcome.

Thanks Kal
Post 8 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Hi Kal,

It looks like you didn't mark the mirror in that upstairs bathroom. Check that and reupload if that's the case.

You had a few people caught while you scanned, too. Probably should delete and rescan when that happens.

Looks good for a first scan, for sure!

I had a lovely trip to Brisbane years ago. I miss the Moreton Bay Bugs!

Best,

Craig
Post 9 IP   flag post
Kracka60 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply and comments.

Just looked at that in Capture and it is marked as a mirror. Maybe I need to move it more inwards to get it delete the "room"

The agent needed the scan done at the same time as the open house and I did mention that there was a very good chance some people will end up in the walkthrough.

How do I identify the scans that bring these people into the scan??

Hmm moreton Bay bugs are fav of mine as well or the fresh prawns on freshly baked rolls.

Thanks Kal
Post 10 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
While in the workshop just walk around and look in the first person view. When you see a person you can , under the scan tab, uncheck the circle and then it won't show up in the 3D showcase. Keep in mind removing these may make big jumps between scans.

If anyone is interested here is an all outdoor scan we did today that turned out pretty well considering how dark it was.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Vizocube private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys, I am Mike just signed up on the forum, and really enjoying some of your pointers. Here is one of my recent scans, would appreciate some feedback from the group. Thanks

Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
This is 3D Showcase is 2-levels' 16,000 sf; and created with 212 scans.

Yes. I broke two rules:

1. It is more than 10,000 sf.
2. It is more than 200 scans.

Your thoughts of how you might have scanned it differently?

[And, feel free to post your 3D Showcases here for feed-back from the Forum community too.]

Thanks,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Wow! That's really amazing, for such a large property!

One minor thing I noticed is that it looks like you missed marking a mirror in one of the locker rooms. As a result some junk that should be in the reflection gets modeled as being in the unscanned area behind the mirror.

How long did Matteport take to process the model and make the 3D Showcase?

Craig
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@craigsauer

Any chance of a screen grab to show me the mirror to fix? (great catch)

About your 'how long' question...

1. I recall the original model was 400 scans. While I never expected to use it that way, I did submit it and it never processed successfully. I tend to over-scan for various reasons. For example, I may scan in front of a mirror to help with the dollhouse view, but deactivate the scan. When I know I need to come back - such as the outside patio - I did the scans close to the outside, but not outside. That made it easier when I returned to this area later in the shoot to get the scans to recognize each other. Clear as mud?

2. From a duplicate of the master model, I deleted all the scans on the outside deck and some overlapping duplicate scans to get the count down to about 280 scans. That successfully processed probably in about 8 hours.

3. I then deactivated scans (in 3D Workshop) to get to 212 scans and reprocessed: about eight hours.

4. I then decided that even with 68 scans deactivated, it might crash webGL based on 280 scans versus 212 scans (anyone care to comment on this?).

5. I then did yet another duplicate and deleted scans until I was down to 212. The reprocessed model still took about eight hours.

Client was not expecting the outside deck that I suuccessfully scanned in 25-degree temperature.

While we typically tell client "within 24 hours" this model I said in about a week knowing that I would be doing many iterations to tweak it.

By the way, we managed our client's expectations that we might need to deliver it as two models (one for each floor) in light of Matterport supporting upto 10,000 SF with up to 200 scans.

The good news is that the 16,000sf worked as one model.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod

3. I then deactivated scans (in 3D Workshop) to get to 212 scans and reprocessed: about eight hours

Hey Dan, what do you mean, deactivating in workshop and re-uploading? Shouldn't have changed anything I wouldn't have thought...
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tim

Deactivate a scan means it is still in the model, but the user can not "stand" on that scan.

Deactivated scans can be re-activated.

The above is done in 3D Workshop.

It's not documented well.

This is a powerful tool that I use all the time. It is one of the reasons I over-shoot. For example, you might scan a small bathroom so that it looks nice in dollhouse and floor plan view, but only allow the user to look into the bathroom.

If this was not your question, please ask your question in a different way.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
All good, very familiar with the tool. It's just that you said you deactivated scans and then re-uploaded the model...deactivating wouldn't have touched what you re-uploaded is all.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tim

ah yes. correct. I either duplicate a model and delete scans or deactivate / re-activate scans in 3D Workshop.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Also, deactivating a scan will not lessen the amount required to stabilise the model (webGL) as it is still there. All it does is remove the abilty to stand there. If you do 250 scans and deactivate 50 in the workshop you are still 50 scans over.
Post 20 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Ok I have some questions about this scan here:

There is one scan right in the middle where I guess the tripod got WAY off balance. I have no idea how, and thought I would have noticed it at the time but I guess it happened and i missed it.

It lined up correctly but i thought the matter port software would use the 3D data to mesh it up correctly. Instead the mesh is crooked and the looks like a tornado came through.

You can zoom in and see the underside issue better here:

Anyone ever had this happen to them. Is being perfectly level that important?
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@alx3D

While someone may know the answers to your specific questions, if it is possible to duplicate the model and then delete the bad scan(s), that might save you. Obviously the user will not be able to "stand" on a deleted scan, but that may be okay. (Best practice: always duplicate models before delete scans.)

I use a bubble level on EVERY scan. I consider it a "best practice."

A few different bubble levels are in my shopping list of Matterport Pro 3D Camera Gear and Accessories.

Best,

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
101635 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?