Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceNavigationScansStrategyTips

Too many scans?1263

suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
Many thanks in advance for answers to these questions:

I've seen comments here regarding "too many scans". I'm quite confused about that. I was under the impression that the more scans the better.

How do I know if there are too many? What are the advantages to less?

Is there a way to observe the model to determine what scans are superfluous? Then, how do I delete them?

How do I plan the scanning to avoid too many? I've been spacing them 5-8' apart except for doorways, where I scan 18" from each side of the threshold.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zephyr Cove, NV
Maria private msg quote post Address this user
I think too many scans can make it slower to load and be distracting when in the showcase.

For the showcase walk through mode I think scans should be relatively evenly spaced to allow for a consistent pace and along natural walking paths to mimic an actual tour of the space when viewing it in showcase. Higher density scans can produce a better model for the doll house and floor plan views in the showcase mesh view in workshop but not necessarily in the walking view. You can use a higher density in areas of greater interest and complexity like kitchens, gyms, or machinery for examples.

You can disable and hide extra scans in the administrator's workshop. http://matterport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Matterport_Workshop_2.0.pdf

Ultimately the scan density and placement is one of the few artistic freedoms or dare I say skills, we can use to differentiate ourselves from other Matterport users.

Good luck!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
When you're planning your project do as many scans as needed to expose as much of the area as possible.

You want to do that to eliminate the vacant "black" areas in the dollhouse view. Shoot Behring doors, raise and lower the camera, whatever you need to do to maximize the data.

Don't delete any scans. Hide the superfluous scans for a smooth walk through. I usually hide half of the scans I take.

Hope that helps!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
Behring=behind

Post 4 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
The goal isn't to go into a home and do too many or too few scans. The objective is to be as efficient as possible while creating a quality scan that is both easy to navigate in the walk-through view and complete in the dollhouse/floor plan view.

In my experience as both a viewer and scanner, I think less is more for several reasons:

(1) The longer you're in the house, the more time you're wasting for yourself, the agent if present, and homeowner. Being in a home for 4 hours instead of 2 can be annoying for some agents.
(2) There are many places in a home that you really don't want to spend a lot of time in like hallways. Being able to zoom down the whole hall is actually a better experience then having to click 5 times. The same is true with stairs.
(3) In vacant rooms, you don't need 10 scans just for the sake or spacing them out.
(4) Load times. The less scans, the faster it loads!
Post 5 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
@suncoastskyview PM Me if you want one on one help on HOW to do it, vs what you should do.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
This is the summary of Matterport's recommendation, similar to what @Lbelland stated above.
Source, with full explanation in the context of creating a complete mesh
"As you’re creating models now, keep in mind that this data could be used for a number of applications in the future. That’s why it’s so important to scan thoroughly, and try to get behind furniture and into every nook and cranny. (Remember, if you over-scan, you can still turn those positions off in Workshop to produce a clean walkthrough experience, while keeping the advantage of all that great mesh data.) Even smaller rooms like a bathroom or laundry room should have no fewer than 2 scan positions, so that any point in space is seen from multiple angles. This generates the best quality geometry.

We see too many otherwise great models with bits of rooms or parts of couches missing. Snagging that one extra scan position is always worth it!"
Post 7 IP   flag post
101432 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?