Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBusiness PlanGoogle Street ViewMarketingPricingProblems

Is Matterport working with Google Maps?1220

WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to know if Matterport is working with Google at all to get in with Google Maps Street View going indoors.

A new camera called the Ntech Iris360 can apparently shoot a 360 much faster with better image quality shots and guarantee the business owner the walk thru will be available for the life of the business on Google Maps Street View.

With Matterport's camera I cannot guarantee:

Better image quality (DSLR)
Click through from google maps to tour property
Faster shoot times
Lifetime of the walk thru being available

With Matterport, I have to keep the hosting updated out of my pocket or charge my business to help while a google upload is free. I go out of business, the business owner loses my Matterport hosting. My competitor photographer is using the Iris 360, they don't need to pay hosting we pay to Matterport on their business shots.

I understand the Ntech Iris360 is much more jumpy and comes off like the 360 tours from 10 years ago. I call it 360 tours version 2.0, with the same zooms versus the Matterports ability to feel like you are virtually there. I need to know if Matterport is spending ANY time on getting into this realm.

Do you know if Matterport is working with Google?
Has anyone bought an Iris 360?
How is this competition affecting your business?
Post 1 IP   flag post
tydowning private msg quote post Address this user
We bought a Iris360 and shipped it back. What you are suggesting are totally different verticals. Google 360 tours are part of the Google Maps program, Matterport is in no way going down this road. MP has its sight set on different objectives. (Real estate/Sports)

We were not impressed with the Iris360, it's untested in the states, and doesn't upload automatically as they advertised.

I believe you need to look at MP and Google maps as two distinct finished products, but this is just our 2 cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Ty,

I wanted to see who else was impacted by this new camera coming into the market for chasing businesses. I have a big hurdle to get over with agents sticking with the slide shows labeled as "virtual", but that's a whole other topic.

Seeing that you sent the Iris 360 back, I have more questions for you about the Iris360 software and why you sent it back.

My competition is going strong here in Las Vegas. This is my latest "Google already came by and shot my place" reply from a restaurant owner.

@36.1351729,-115.1711634,3a,75y,203.57h,82.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soigk3_g6zTIAAAQZVk12Pw!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1351729,-115.1711634,3a,75y,203.57h,82.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soigk3_g6zTIAAAQZVk12Pw!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Did you end up using Immersive Studio, as the program to stitch your images together? What steps do you have to go through to get it live on a server or onto Google. None of the advertising for the 360 seem to be covering this detail.

I'm trying to determine if I run up the credit card and get an Iris 360 to hit the businesses and push my Matterport as my higher end 360 for real estate pushing Dollhouse, Floor Plan Infrared Abilites and no google street view in residential.
Post 3 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport is working with google in regards to tango. In what capacity I am unsure and even if it is official.

(*Edit) actually i think it was in regards to google using the matterport software to "knit" the scans the tango hardware takes.

There has been a few posts in regards to the Iris and the google maps business tours. Do keep in mind they are reserved as it seems for now to businesses only.From other posts the workflow is more time consuming too.

Being google owned and how it integrates is a definite benefit but I doubt google will help Matterport integrate as well as their own product or that Matterport will move more in that direction.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV

Please see related Matterport User Group Forum thread ...

NCTech iris360 Camera versus Matterport

@Tosolini, additional thoughts based on this MUG Forum thread?

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@tydowning I'm curious myself to learn why you returned the Iris360 camera. I just ordered mine, and I'm taking a leap of faith (just like I did with MP) as I only looked at some of their examples and talked to them at CES.

I'm using my MP camera to document mostly corporate or historical spaces.

I see the two devices for different purposes. For example, I can't use MP if the client wants to use Google Cardboard for a virtual tour, or it requires exteriors with people around.

My goal is to integrate both mediums into touch kiosk experiences and offer an interactive digital signage solution. I hope the Iris360 will surprise me with a superior quality than the Ricoh Theta S, which in my opinion, is a great device for $400.
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV This is a repeat to what I wrote in the link which Dan has been so kind to include in this section but I'll go over a few of the points to consider as well as add some additional if you're considering shooting for Google.

As a former Google Trusted Photographer that is or was the status you needed to achieve to shoot and produce Business View (BV) for Google. the process is very time consuming, that is not the actual photography but the assembly of the BV tour although I must say that NCTech's iris360 is a fantastic camera and makes shooting BV's very simple compared to shooting with a standers DSLR.

The real issue here is you are restricted to shooting only certain verticals until you become qualified to shoot other types of locations, these being resorts, hotels, homes, and a whole list of others.

The real issue is the assembly of the shoot as you have to connect each pano to the next and that connects to the next and two of these panos may need to connect to another pano and so on and so. If you move one link it can disrupt the rest of the links which most likely have you walking over something you should not and the whole job can get rejected.

This is why most BV are shot in relativity straight lines with not much variety as it's a pain in the ass to assemble. the other issues is multiple floors this is typically a nightmare to produce so very rarely do you see a multiple story BV's,

And last but not least you need to bluer faces, licenses plates and any other item that may be of concern to Google.

We the Matterport content providers provide an entire different level of service we are the TRUE IMMERSIVE 3D FILM MAKERS. This is something you need to understand, we are the future. that not to say that tomorrow some other tech will come along and better us in our tech but at the present moment in time we that is you, and everyone else in this forum lead the tech revolution in delivering the only real immersive virtual tours.

One last point if your still not sold that you are a leader in this technology get yourself a VR headset and experience what MP has produced in their VR Showcase, there is nothing like it today.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101438 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?